August 27, 2014, 11:22:15 AM

Author Topic: Expired: Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 STM $299 at B&H  (Read 46735 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Expired: Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 STM $299 at B&H
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
The cheap eBay adapters are knock-offs, not Canon. Are they well made? I'm told the Canon one is very strong. That's important if you're attaching a $2000 + lens to it.

Anyone have experience with the cheap knock-offs?

There are apparently some OEM adapters from eBay - the adapter is sold as part of an EOS M kit in some locations, so they are sold as the equivalent of white box versions.

I have the OEM, it's very robust.  One difference I noticed from images of the knock-offs is that the tripod foot isn't the video style with the hole for the anti-rotation pin.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
The cheap eBay adapters are knock-offs, not Canon. Are they well made? I'm told the Canon one is very strong. That's important if you're attaching a $2000 + lens to it.

Anyone have experience with the cheap knock-offs?

There are apparently some OEM adapters from eBay - the adapter is sold as part of an EOS M kit in some locations, so they are sold as the equivalent of white box versions.

I have the OEM, it's very robust.  One difference I noticed from images of the knock-offs is that the tripod foot isn't the video style with the hole for the anti-rotation pin.

Thanks! I'm holding off on all accessories until I actually get my EOS-M in hand, which may be another week or two since I ordered a couple of hours before the end of sale. My order might get cancelled due to lack of inventory and I don't want to get stuck with accessories I can't use.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »
Thanks! I'm holding off on all accessories until I actually get my EOS-M in hand, which may be another week or two since I ordered a couple of hours before the end of sale. My order might get cancelled due to lack of inventory and I don't want to get stuck with accessories I can't use.

Makes sense.  I ordered a couple of hours after the beginning of the sale, and have been enjoying my EOS M for several days now.  A second battery and a couple more SDHC cards are being delivered today. 

mgkaplan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
"The cheap eBay adapters are knock-offs, not Canon. Are they well made? I'm told the Canon one is very strong. That's important if you're attaching a $2000 + lens to it."

I ordered one of the OEMs that is from a kit.    I would not consider a knock off.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
I ordered one of the OEMs that is from a kit.    I would not consider a knock off.

I wonder if there are counterfeit ones out there yet?   ???

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

It's difficult to tell from some of the pics, but it also appears that the foot isn't removable on some of the 3rd party adapters. I didn't even consider going with anything other than the Canon adapter, but then I again I only paid $70 for mine.

One example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Auto-Focus-AF-Lens-Adapter-Canon-EF-EF-S-mount-to-EOS-M-EF-M-camera-/350822510347?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item51aea6af0b

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »

I wonder if there are counterfeit ones out there yet?   ???

GuangDong, China - you can find any high end counterfeit stuff there. Iphone $10-$12, Rolex $5-$45, Tayormade golf clubs(set) $40-$200, Nikon & Camera DSLR and lenses $110 - $400 more...more...and more ;D. I'm sure they do ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »

Makes sense.  I ordered a couple of hours after the beginning of the sale, and have been enjoying my EOS M for several days now.  A second battery and a couple more SDHC cards are being delivered today.

How do you like it so far? I'm tempted to buy some batteries, cards, and the adapter in preparation for delivery of the M.

I'm planning to use it as a pocket camera, but I am seriously hoping that Canon comes out with a sharp 15mm f/2.8 for the M, and some other neat little primes.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:31 AM »

just opened the box. 
to reiterate what others have pointed out, it is a bit heavier feeling that I expected (not a bad thing) but, even with the 22, seems too big for my pocket. 

The focus is slow in existing light in my kitchen at night, but not awful. 

Thinking about something like this

http://www.amazon.com/MegaGear-Ready-Protective-Leather-Camera/dp/B009YD3ZT2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1373694639&sr=8-10&keywords=eos+m

Kind of a retro look taking me back to the days of my Argus rangefinder.  Anyone seen one of these?
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2013, 04:54:06 AM »
How do you like it so far? I'm tempted to buy some batteries, cards, and the adapter in preparation for delivery of the M.

So far, I quite like it!

Kind of a retro look taking me back to the days of my Argus rangefinder.  Anyone seen one of these?

An Argus rangefinder, no, but I used to have an Argus TLR.  ;)  As for the case, I'll stick with the Lowepro Dashpoint 20, thanks.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »

An Argus rangefinder, no, but I used to have an Argus TLR.  ;)  As for the case, I'll stick with the Lowepro Dashpoint 20, thanks.

Ouch!
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #266 on: July 16, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
I REALLY want to like my new EOS M, I REALLY do... but I just looked on the B&H site and the "Expected availability" date, which was originally listed as "July 11 2013" for those of us who hesitated but still got in in time for the $299 deal, got pushed to "July 18 2013", and now says "July 25 2013"... I'm hoping the new date is for a second batch, but my sense is that the whole shipment has been delayed. Hell, maybe if it takes long enough the factory will have time to retool and sneak in the new Dual Pixel AF technology! ;)
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11