December 20, 2014, 09:15:21 PM

Author Topic: Help needes: EOS 7D - noisy pictures  (Read 10144 times)

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Help needes: EOS 7D - noisy pictures
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »
If fact, I think the article you link strongly supports the statement that the 7D's tracking is 'adequate at best, and sub-par from an objective standpoint'. A 73% is a grade of 'C-', and getting something wrong 27% of the time is 'adequate at best'.  While technically a 'C' is 'average' (making a C- slightly below average - aka sub-par), I don't know many people who'd consider getting a C- on their report card to be a good thing.

Really? OK...let's nitpick  ::)

Since the 7D is not a child and the test scores were not a report card, your analogy is ridiculous.

Sub-par would mean performance below the average SLR body at the time of the test. This is clearly incorrect so the 7D is not sub-par. (If you disagree, take it up with Merriam Webster.)

"Adequate at best" would imply performance barely to the level necessary to produce work in sports, wildlife, etc. Yet photographers produced work in those categories years before the 7D using AF systems with a fraction of the performance of the 7D's. Pretty obvious that the 7D...or just about any modern body...has AF performance well above "adequate" for sports and wildlife.

I'm sorry, but if you're missing the shot with a 7D, it's likely not the camera which is "sub-par" or "adequate at best."

And getting back to the original reason for this thread...a 10D can track an airshow. There isn't really much to track. You can almost get away with setting infinity and stopping down. The flaws in OP's photo have nothing to do with the camera. But without a RAW or JPEG to evaluate, there's not much advice to give.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:21:05 AM by dtaylor »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2013, 08:33:47 AM »
Really? OK...let's nitpick  ::)

Sub-par would mean performance below the average SLR body at the time of the test. This is clearly incorrect so the 7D is not sub-par. (If you disagree, take it up with Merriam Webster.)

I'm not opposed to picking nits.  ;)

So because the 7D's AF is 'better than the average dSLR' it's not sub-par?  If you think that, you should refer yourself to Merriam Webster.  In fact, 'par' isn't the average of every golfer out there, both great and crappy. It's an estimate of how well a first class golfer should do on a given hole.  Saying the 7D is not sub-par because it's got better AF than a Rebel is like saying every duffer out there could be playing on the PGA Tour.  That's why golf has a handicapping system, and while I'm not saying the 7D is a 'bogey golfer' it does need a handicap to compete with the recent 1-series bodies and the 5DIII.

As for getting a shot, heck, you don't even need AF or a burst for that. Manually prefocusing, waiting for the action to be in focus, and a well-timed shutter press work today, just as they did with early film cameras. But the horse-and-buggy was once the state of the art mode of transportation - today's standards are higher.

The bottom line is that there are many people who believe the 7D's AF to be nearly perfect.  It's not.  Yes, it's better than a Rebel or a 5DII - much better.  No, it's nowhere near as good as a 1DIV, 1D X, or 5DIII.  From an objective standpoint, missing >25% of shots is adequate, certainly not excellent or even very good. 

After shooting for a couple of years with a 7D and 5DII, one of the first things I noticed after getting my 1D X was that when culling images, I could no longer just delete a whole bunch of shots as OOF, a habit I developed with the other bodies.  Since getting a new camera wouldn't have magically improved my technique, it's down to having better AF.  Just sayin'.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

paul13walnut5

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
I would expect a more recent much more expensive camera to perform better than a 7d, but it's a 7d the op is using and has asked about...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »