November 28, 2014, 07:48:49 AM

Author Topic: 70D or 6D  (Read 35664 times)

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 70D or 6D
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »
I'm looking at either the 6D or the 70D when it comes out. 

Canon made the choice between the 70D and 6D quite difficult, IMO.

Without a doubt, the 70D is the more well-rounded and versatile camera. 
The 6D is a one trick pony: it has a FF sensor and ... that's it.

Of course the 6D will be the better camera in terms of image quality.
Canon stated themselves that at the RAW level, the 70D ISO performance will be 'on par' with that of the 60D.
The 6D has about a ~2 ISO stops advantage over the 60D, which it will obviously keep over the 70D as well.

So, if you decide to go with the 6D, you are obviously going to get better image quality.
But this will cost you more - and at the same time you'll be losing some fun and useful features.

Like I said, Canon made this a difficult choice.
Good luck with your decision.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »
I don't care what body u use, your photo is only as good as your lens.
Go for the lens, whatever body doesn't matter

-1...disagree. Let say you going to shoot a indoor volleyball, football or soccer game.

Here are your options:
1. Canon 300mm f2.8 IS II + 1D X
2. Canon 300mm f2.8 IS II + 7D

You think the photos(IQ) from 7D will be same or near to 1D X?

As others already mentioned, FF is the way to go ;)
I say go for the lens....

He is talking about landscape so lets look at a 24mm lens. To get the same field of View, the crop equivalent is 15mm.  The question becomes is a 6D with a 24mm lens better than a 7D with a 15mm lens. It is very hard to make a 15mm lens with the same image quality and distortion of a 24mm lens. 24 wins, and therefore 6D is better for landscape than 7D.

Btw.... I am not a FF fanatic... My next camera will be the 7D2. For my needs, crop cameras are better, but I am not a landscape shooter.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
I say go for the lens....

He is talking about landscape so lets look at a 24mm lens. To get the same field of View, the crop equivalent is 15mm.  The question becomes is a 6D with a 24mm lens better than a 7D with a 15mm lens. It is very hard to make a 15mm lens with the same image quality and distortion of a 24mm lens. 24 wins, and therefore 6D is better for landscape than 7D.

Btw.... I am not a FF fanatic... My next camera will be the 7D2. For my needs, crop cameras are better, but I am not a landscape shooter.

Prior to my 5D III - I owned 40D, 60D, 7D, and 5D II. I do miss extra reach some time, but I doubt I would go back to crop. I'm talking about crop as primary camera. I do alot indoor shooting, therefore, FF is very important to me. That's just me of course ;)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

intxaurrek

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »

I find the 6D to be an excellent landscape camera.  I often take it on long hikes and overnight hiking/camping trips and it performs great.  What don't you like about it for trekking?

(1) For landscapes, you are generally going for as much depth of field as you can without running into diffraction, so typically f/8-f/16.  Generally, I'm using a wide focal length 24-35mm, I try to keep the foreground interest elements at or near the hyperfocal distance for my lens - which yields a very high DOF.  I focus on the foreground element either using the center AF point and re-composing, or one of the non-center points that work very well in decent light.  At these narrow apertures, even if you miss the focus a little it will not matter, as nearly everything will be in focus due to the DOF.
(2) I have a 7D and 6D and agree the noise of the 7D is pretty much non-existant at ISO 320 and below.  However, the OP stated he wanted to use the camera for taking pictures of kids.  I also have two kids at home, and find the low-light/high ISO capabilities of the 6D to be terrific.  I take lots of indoor shots of the kids at ISO3200 that look great.  I don't even consider shots like that with my 7D - the noise would be impossible to clean up in PP.
(3) Depends on the photographer.  I'm pretty anal, so like my landscape shots to be noise-free. 
(4) The 17-55 2.8 is a great lens!
(5) Agreed, APS-C lenses are much smaller and lighter.  Full format will give you better image quality at the expense of size and weight of the gear.  That said APS-C IQ is pretty damned good, more than good enough for most people, so its really a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for your comments. Now I have more doubts about buying the 6D ;-)

The things I didn't like from it fr trekking were those I mentioned in the list (extra lens weight, AF, lack of flash...), but given your comments on the AF, I may reconsider.

Actually my current camera (30D that is still doing nicely!) has a similar configuration for AF points, but often it misses focus (at f/2.8 ), if I try to use sensors other than the center one. That is why I am a bit reluctant about that AF configuration.

The reason  think the 70D's AF is interesting  for me, is mainly because I usually take self-portraits over landscapes, and usually I am off-center. I cannot focus and recompose,  since it's hard to focus on my face while I am not in the frame. So being able to focus off center in live view would be great for me.  Just set f/10-14, focus on me in live view through a mobile phone, and shoot. Not sure how the 6D would behave with that.

And yes, you're very right about the low light capabilities of the 6D. I'd love it for indoor portraits, although it is not the main use I do with the camera.

If only Canon told us when 7DMkII would come out, I'd possibly forget about both and go for it ... ;-)

My main issue is the AF, I generally cannot easily focus and recompose, since I ofen take self-portraitsl.

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
Hmm.

Given people's suggestions that my centre AF is a bit banged ... I might consider it getting checked out.

The situation I had where it didn't work was taking photos of some dancers, in low light. The dancers had moments where they would stand still for a second or so, and I would shoot then. I'd aim my 100 f2 at them and the photo would be OOF enough to annoy me.

Then I used my 24-105 and the photos  of them were sharper, although at times, blurry cos of the slower shutter speed.

*shrug.

So the centre point is focussing ok, maybe it's an AFMA thing, i'll give it some more tests, etc, in due course. I've warranty till Dec anyway.

Why does everyone put a listing of all their camera stuff here?

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
I upgraded from a 7D and its superior focussing because I wanted FF, to date i have had no issues focussing in a variety of situations!! The picture quality from the 6D is by far and away more superior.

I am interested as to why the original poster would compare FF to a cropped sensor camera. Perhaps it should have been 70D or 7D!!

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
The reason  think the 70D's AF is interesting  for me, is mainly because I usually take self-portraits over landscapes, and usually I am off-center. I cannot focus and recompose,  since it's hard to focus on my face while I am not in the frame. So being able to focus off center in live view would be great for me.  Just set f/10-14, focus on me in live view through a mobile phone, and shoot. Not sure how the 6D would behave with that.

And yes, you're very right about the low light capabilities of the 6D. I'd love it for indoor portraits, although it is not the main use I do with the camera.

If only Canon told us when 7DMkII would come out, I'd possibly forget about both and go for it ... ;-)

My main issue is the AF, I generally cannot easily focus and recompose, since I ofen take self-portraitsl.
Hi,
    Hmm... all Canon DSLR that have live view can focus off center, so shouldn't be a main issue...

Anyway, if taking self-portraits is high priority, then you need to get a DSLR with flip screen (60D, 70D, 700D & etc)... I don't think 7DII will have flip screen.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »

Powder Portraits

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • viewmyimages
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »
Just a thought on pop up flashes, nice for snapshots in low light, but not so effective for fill light.   

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 11:50:14 PM »
6D and FF for landscape for sure. No doubt.
5D3 | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | EOS M + 22 STM + 90 EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »
I don't care what body u use, your photo is only as good as your lens.
Go for the lens, whatever body doesn't matter

+1 can't agree more! Went to cars and coffee today with my 5d2 20-35 2.8L attached and a 12 year old canon 1d 4.2mp with 50 1.2L attached only difference I saw was bokeh and distortion from wide angle. Seriously this canon 1d 4.2mp at 12 years old makes just as good a photo as my 5d2. Shoot the af and 8fps on my 12 year old canon will be more than enough for the kids. This old 1d focuses so much better in bright and low light than my 5d2 its insane, disappointing actually. I have some old lenses and cameras but they give me great images compared to what people spend on higher end stuff. If you're not making money from your camera then buy what you want cause you will be happier that way. FF is awesome and crop is too try before you buy then you'll know!!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »
Just a thought on pop up flashes, nice for snapshots in low light, but not so effective for fill light.   

?  what do you mean?  a pop up flash is fine for filling in some shadows. It doesn't need to be nearly as powerful if used as just a fill...
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »

?  what do you mean?  a pop up flash is fine for filling in some shadows. It doesn't need to be nearly as powerful if used as just a fill...

I was outside yesterday morning and I tried to used a 430 ex ii for some fill flash... and the sun was winning that battle.  UGH!!!. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »

I was outside yesterday morning and I tried to used a 430 ex ii for some fill flash... and the sun was winning that battle.  UGH!!!.

Did you haveit switched on?  A 430ex ii will work as fill flash in any light??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:34 AM »

Thanks for the feedback and that is a little surprising to me.. I had the centre point on the 6D was great, especially at low light, just the other points pretty much suck?

As someone else mentioned on a different thread.. if something isn't in focus, then it doesn't matter what the ISO, noise, DR, etc, etc is... it will be out of focus... which is my big worry with the 6D.

You have to think in equivalent terms. Is the AF focus of the 70D at f/2.8 more accurate than the 6D at f/4.5? No way, unless you need tracking.

I have experience with the 5D2 and the 50D (supposedly better AF). For equivalent apertures, the outer AF points of the 5D2 (AI servo, back AF button) are similar, if not better than the center of the 50D. Once you start shooting moving objects not in the center, things change.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:54:59 AM by Pi »

intxaurrek

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 09:02:48 AM »

Anyway, if taking self-portraits is high priority, then you need to get a DSLR with flip screen (60D, 70D, 700D & etc)... I don't think 7DII will have flip screen.

Why would I want a flip screen? You cannot see the screen of your camera if you are 4-5 meters away from the camera anyway. it's landscape shots, not normal self portraits, so you are a bit further from the camera, to avoid covering the lanscape, and if doing panoramas, to avoid parallax issues.

With the 70D and 6D you can take a photo using your mobile phone and wifi, and see live view through it.  There's no need for a flipping screen. But the AF on the 70D might work better, since it's not contrast based anymore.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 09:02:48 AM »