August 20, 2014, 06:54:32 AM

Author Topic: Tablet Computers - yes or no??  (Read 4798 times)

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
Re: Tablet Computers - yes or no??
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
Well working on the go for me would be... if im at a shoot away, say abroad or a different county. Meaning im staying in a hotel or im on a flight, the laptop is a nice thing to use to flag, tag and star rate the images maybe start editing etc.

I have to agree with everything you said sb. In my opinion its best attribute.

Tom scott
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »

Its quite an exciting concept, an ipad with a pen... like a wacom tablet on the go! I cant believe Adobe haven't capitalised on this yet, but im sure a full version of photoshop will be a hog on the current ipad and adobe cant get a decent version running perfectly on the current mac system and with their history of being extremely poor at upgrading code on the mac side i would suspect we will be waiting for this for some time.

My 2p ;)

Tom scott

If I have my facts straight, you can only get iPad apps from the Apple Store.  It's a closed system.  Adobe might want to have an iPad version of Photoshop, but the Apple apps policy currently prevents it.
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
Adobe already has aps on the ap store. It is a closed system but only in the respect that apple has to approve the application. Many major companies have aps on the ap store not just minor developers. Otherwise whats the point?

Tom scott
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I've been going through a similar decision process. My five-year old laptop is heavy, slow and the battery died several years ago, so the only way I can use it is to plug it into an outlet. It is time for something new.

My needs are pretty simple.

I wanted something as small as possible.

I wanted to be able to check e-mail and respond for my real job, which means being able to write and attach a small word document.

I wanted to be able to surf the Net.

I wanted to be able to dump a CF card's contents onto either a hard drive or onto a portable drive, which meant it had to have a USB port.

As a bonus, I wanted to be able to view (but not edit) RAW files, just to see what I was getting.

I have no interest in editing on the road. My only interest is to be able to preserve and backup files for later editing.

Finally, I wanted to spend as little as possible. I ultimately decided on a cheap ($240 U.S.) netbook.

I'm a cheapskate and just was not quite ready to drop $400-$500 on a tablet, especially because as I researched tablets, I came to the conclusion that the technology hasn't matured sufficiently to meet my needs. (I admit I'm also a little ticked off over the inability of iPads and even a number of other tablets, to accomodate Adobe Flash.)

I figured that even if I end up dumping it after a year, it will have served its purpose and I won't have invested a lot in something that will quickly go obsolete.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Picsfor

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
Interesting the needs of 'unfocused'.

Those were my needs. My iPad does them all more than adequately.
I surf the net, send and receive e-mails.
I write and read Word docs and Excel spreadsheets.
I download a CF card full of pics, I tag and rate them etc - then upload them to LR3 when I get home.
The pics get backed up via iPad as well as what's on the card.

It's small, light, has no start up time and no shut down time.
It synchs with my iPhone and Mac computers without a care in the world.
I read books as easily as on a Kindle.
Catch up with the news without having to go to a site.

Oh, and my files are always RAW and at least 21mb in size, and I can do some processing if the urge takes.

As for  Flash, don't have a need to view a site with it, too clunky IMHO.

Yep, it is an expensive way of doing such things, but I can assure you the technology is more than up to it.

Regarding Photoshop for Macs, I suspect the answer lies in the same argument as to why Apple don't support Flash!

afira

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »
Hi.  Does anyone use a tablet in conjunction with their photography?  I'm thinking of picking up a new laptop and am wondering if a tablet is the way to go?  I like the idea of the lighter weight and good battery life.  I do a bit of travelling and my main photography uses would be to download files from the camera or memory cards (CF & SD), to view the photos, upload some onto the internet and act as another backup storage facility.  I can do any serious processing when I get home on a computer with more grunt.  Just wondering if anyone else does this?  Do you find that the processors are fast enough?  Do Canon cameras mix well with Android and iPads?  Are there any that you would recomend?  Or would you stay clear of tablets for the time being and stay with a laptop? Thanks.

Yes. I use one on occasion. The processors are fast enough to do everything you've asked for, and can do some minor photo editing. Dual core tablets are hitting the market for a little more grunt as well.

I typically use mine in conjunction with a laptop. I download and store photos on my laptop then let friends, family, customers etc view the photos from the tablet. They can then select what they want without me having to give them my laptop so I can continue to work, them having to be in the same room as my laptop or them having access to every photo on my hard disk. When I use my Android tablet to view photos directly, I find I get the same functionality out of my 4" phone, and am better off viewing it on my phone due to battery life. I can plug in an external mini-usb card reader, battery powered so I don't use my phone's batteries, to my phone and away I go, no tablet and no laptop needed.

Value wise, you're far better off with a small portable laptop. Weight wise and portability wise, of course a tablet will win. However, if you choose a tablet with a portable reader/docking station/etc, why wouldn't you consider a laptop? Ultra light laptops will run 2.2 lbs or under a kilo and add a bit for a cord and power adaptor. Standard laptops with a card read inbuilt can weight 3-4 lbs.

Storage wise, cost tends to be prohibitive on many of the tablets, or the selection of hard drive sizes (pretty much everything but Ipad) and choice to expand slots just isn't there (Ipad). Sure you have the ability to add additional space, but how much would you actually require? If you're filling up 16g+ of space, you really should be looking at a laptop. Don't forget that once you transmit the photos from cards to your tablet, you then transmit the tablet photos to your desktop, unless you're keeping the SD/CF cards and backing up your backup. With a laptop, you will have faster exchanges through USB3 or Thunderbolt, as most tablets are still USB2.0.

Tablets that are viewing significant amounts of pictures are not going to have good battery life - though, neither are some laptops. The problem comes with a sacrifice - if you want to view the pictures in beautiful living and vivid colour on a stunning bright screen you will usually have crappy battery life. If you're able to suffice with a mediocre screen, duller colours and generally a less shiny screen, you'll generally have better battery life.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »