April 20, 2014, 06:16:31 AM

Author Topic: Bag suggestions?  (Read 3621 times)

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Bag suggestions?
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
I've been looking for a bag to commute/shoot with most of my stuff on hand.  I've been researching a while and narrowed it down to two that I really like, but I'm sure there are others that I might like equally that I haven't even heard of...

1. Kata minibee 111-UL
http://www.kata-bags.us/minibee-111-ul-backpack-lg
Pros:
- it's super light
- fits most everything I'd want to carry, plus more storage room
- doesn't look like a stereotypical photo bag
- I have a source who I can get the all black limited edition one from for just over $200
Cons:
- sorta not my style
- straps seem to just hang everywhere
- retail price ($330 USD)

2. Chrome Niko Pack
http://www.chromeindustries.com/niko-pack
Pros:
- appearance/style (my fav)
- good amount of storage space
- awesome build quality
- waterproof without needing an extra sleeve
Cons:
- heavier
- convenient "double access" gear section is also potentially awkward because there is less wall space to secure the velcro dividers (or so I've heard)

Gear I'd like to hold:
- 5DIII (with 70-200 2.8 potentially attached, preferably)
- 24-70 f4
- 85 1.2
- another prime lens or 2
- 2 yongnuo speedlights
- Random stuff (charger, SDs, few filters, extra lens/body caps, 4 yongnuo transceivers, 2 sync cables)
- at least one 2.5" external HDD
- small personal belongings
- 15" macbook pro, potentially but not necessary

If I were considering these two bags head to head and would be paying retail for whichever I chose, I would easily choose the Chrome bag.  However, I am tempted by the price/rarity of the deal I can get on the Kata—which may end up being much more comfortable and practical...  Considering that I'm comparing these two bags, does anyone have any suggestions of bags I may have overlooked that are similar/better value/more practical, etc?
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

Bag suggestions?
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Bag suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
Have you actually carried that much gear around before?

I have had the Kata Bumblebee 222, loaded with 5D3, 70-200 2.8, 50 1.2 & 16-35, plus laptop AND HOLY CRAP it weighs a tonne!!!

My next bag for that much stuff comes with wheels.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
Have you actually carried that much gear around before?

I have had the Kata Bumblebee 222, loaded with 5D3, 70-200 2.8, 50 1.2 & 16-35, plus laptop AND HOLY CRAP it weighs a tonne!!!

My next bag for that much stuff comes with wheels.

Yeah it is pretty heavy...  I carried around most of it in a Billingham shoulder bag for a while, which is a pain.  It would only be packed for traveling between one place to another—and probably not with ALL of it every time.  I'm a big fan of backpacks rather than slings or rolling carts, mainly because they are out of the way.  I don't mind wearing a backpack, but a shoulder bag makes me avoid using it at any chance I get.  Either way, I won't be carrying that entire list of gear just to walk around casually shooting.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
Check the ThinkTank Urban Disguise 70 v2.0, shoulderbag.
Or the ThinkTank Streetwalker HD, backpack.

Yes  I have both, and they served me well on all my trips.

stipotle

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:16:25 PM »
I use an Incase Pro DSLR Sling pack - http://goincase.com/shop/incase-dslr-pro-slingpack

If you fancy 2 straps (which it seems you do) they also have that - http://goincase.com/shop/incase-dslr-pro-pack#color/129/view/8 which seems like it has a different configuration than mine, but similar capabilities.

I really enjoy that with 1 strap I can swing the bag around to the front and grab gear on the fly (it also makes a useable 'tabletop' that way). It's actually as functional as they advertise in that respect.

It carries all that you listed and probably more, and yes it ends up weighing a ton, but it's manageable. It's very capable and fashionable when traveling. (I like to think it just looks like a backpack, and not necessarily like $8k worth of camera gear.) When forced to pack it all it can hold
a 5D3 attached to 70-200/2.8,
a 5Dc attached to a small prime (40/2.8 pancake usually)
24-105
85/1.8
580EX
2 Battery Chargers
15" MBPro
I can even find a way to arrange a 2x extender in there too if I'm feeling dumb.
and of course all the extras (and it has a strap for a tripod). And again, all that is ridiculously heavy, but possible.
I would imagine the 2-strap is a similar size. the pictures certainly seem to suggest it.
Oh and lastly - build quality: Incase stuff is built fantastically. Soft shell on the outside, so it's no tough case but it will certainly last.

- EDIT - 
Sorry, a double take made me reconsider my assumption of "all that you listed and probably more"
your
- another prime lens or 2
in combo with
- 2 yongnuo speedlights
and
- at least one 2.5" external HDD …
Depending on the size of those drives.. I seriously don't know if anything not on wheels can handle all of that.
Good luck! ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:26:38 PM by stipotle »

notapro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »
I share alexanderferdinand's recommendation of the Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive backpack.  If you want or need more room, try the Think Tank Airport Accelerator backpack.  I use the Streetwalker bag for my flashes and flash-related gear, and the Airport Accelerator for my cameras and lenses.

Here is a link to the Airport Accelerator:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator.aspx

stipotle

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
I share alexanderferdinand's recommendation of the Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive backpack.  If you want or need more room, try the Think Tank Airport Accelerator backpack.  I use the Streetwalker bag for my flashes and flash-related gear, and the Airport Accelerator for my cameras and lenses.

Here is a link to the Airport Accelerator:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator.aspx

I stand corrected. Good LORD that Airport accelerator is a beast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
@alexanderferdinand and @notapro, I like the Think Tanks.  Those are all solid options.  The airport accelerator is a beast.

@stipotle, I hadn't seen that incase before.  It looks pretty clean... not sure what to do

I think 99% of the time, the bag would just be filled with the body, 2 lenses max, and maybe the speedlight and 1 hard drive.  Possibly gym clothes.  I like the idea of having a pack that would double as a manageable backpack as opposed to one that sacrifices style for pure functionality.  Thats kinda why I was kind of leaning toward the Chrome bag.

If I do need to lug ALL my gear, I happen to have like 4 massive wheeled pelican cases (the largest size) that were accidentally misplaced and.... accidentally.... left in my possession at a BS warehouse job I worked while in college....

fugu82

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
I have 2 Think Tank bags, and they are awesome. You may want to visit their site and see if they make something close to what you need.
Try to get a hands-on with your purchase first, tho. I ordered a hiking/photo combo backpack {from Kata, a great brand, too} recently that sounded great, then found that it took 6 men and a boy to get my 5D3/24-105 out of the weird little bottom compartment it had. It's sitting in the basement now....

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Find out, which "style" of bag suits you, and then find a dealer to take a look, better, grab them. Put your stuff inside.
This should be an advice for all bags someo e wants to buy.
Have fun choosing, I have - ahem- 8 bags, and yes- I need them all  ::)

ahab1372

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
ThinkTank Urban Disguise are great. I carry one to work every workday with most of my gear + laptop inside. The optional shoulder harness converts it into a backpack for longer hikes or when riding a bicycle.

Dave_NYC

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
I have, er... several bags. Everything from a small sling (big enough for ungripped 5D Mk III with flash and macro lens and 24-70 Mk II) to a Tilopa with a Large Pro ICU from fstopgear.

My current "carry a lot of gear" bag is a Vanguard Skyborne 49 bag, which I got from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067WURIU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I kind of understimated just how big this bag is. Let's me store a gripped 5D Mk III, 70-200mm MK II, flashes, triggers, 24-70, macro lens, and several other items to boot. I don't think it will do the laptop though - probably only take about a 12".

You may want to check out the bags (particularly mountain series) that fstopgear.com put out. You'll need to check two things: what size ICUs (Internal Compartment Units) the bags will take, and then what you can fit in that ICU. The ICUs come with a bunch of elasticized velcro straps and panels so you can chop and change it according to your needs, but if you dig around in the ICU section, they have examples of what you can fit in there.

Only drawback to fstopgear mountain series I can see: it's really popular and it may be a LONG wait. I waited two months for my Tilopa with pro ICU. I got the Skyborne 49 instead of a Guru because it was going to be a long wait.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
My "favorites" in my collection right now:
*F-stop LOKA used when trekking with a camera.  Comfortable and holds a lot besides just my photo gear.
*KATA All-in-one.  Great if you want a sling type bag but beware, no sling is really comfortable with a lot of weight and converting this to a two-shouldered backpack reveals its comfort limitations as a backpack.
*Thinktank Retrospective.  This is, without a doubt, the most practical and functional shoulder pack I've ever cried.  The strap might be the most comfortable I've ever had over my shoulder.  I've got the Retro-7 and can carry a 5Diii, 24-105, 17-40, shorty 40, memory, batteries and a notebook (the paper kind....not the electronic kind) for hours. 

That being said, of the two you are looking at, I'd bet the KATA is more comfortable.  If you can, go somewhere and play with these bags before buying.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M (with M-22mm, M-18-55, and EF adapter); 50 f1.4; 40 f2.8; 24-105 f4; 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS  ii; 100L f/2.8 Macro; 1.4x iii; 2.0x iii; 28-105ii; 17-40; Pro-Optic 14mm f2.8; 100-400L; 300mm f/2.8 ii; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »

CharlieB

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
They're probably not all the rage of popular right now, but I've relied on varous Domke bags since the 1970's.  I've owned some of the one's I've got now since the early 1990's. 

The big ones hold more than you want to carry -
Bag one - 5d2, 50/1.4, 28/1.8, 100/2.8, 16-35/2.8ii, 24-105/4, old Minolta meter with stuff for it, ton of filters and adapter for Nikkor F series lenses, various reference material, two large lawn trash bags in case it rains, cleaning stuff etc.

Bag two holds 7D, EOS-5, 28/2.8, 20/2.8, 300/4, 1.4x, a pair of 283's or a pair of Leica M's, other stuff - chargers, cleaning stuff, afore mentioned trash bags etc.

Bag three holds three Leica M's with 28 through 90mm Summicron lenses (5 lenses), and an old 252 flash.

Bag four holds three more 283's and all sorts of lighting doo-dads, boat load of mafer clamps, scissor clamps, etc etc for grip use

Your milage will vary, but they travel well for me.  The Hassy stuff goes in Lightware cases

paul13walnut5

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
lowepro fastpack 250

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »