April 20, 2014, 01:17:32 PM

Author Topic: Bag suggestions?  (Read 3623 times)

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Bag suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
My "favorites" in my collection right now:
*F-stop LOKA used when trekking with a camera.  Comfortable and holds a lot besides just my photo gear.
*KATA All-in-one.  Great if you want a sling type bag but beware, no sling is really comfortable with a lot of weight and converting this to a two-shouldered backpack reveals its comfort limitations as a backpack.
*Thinktank Retrospective.  This is, without a doubt, the most practical and functional shoulder pack I've ever cried.  The strap might be the most comfortable I've ever had over my shoulder.  I've got the Retro-7 and can carry a 5Diii, 24-105, 17-40, shorty 40, memory, batteries and a notebook (the paper kind....not the electronic kind) for hours. 

That being said, of the two you are looking at, I'd bet the KATA is more comfortable.  If you can, go somewhere and play with these bags before buying.

JP

I like the f-stop bags—especially love the Millar series shoulder bag, even though they don't fit much.  Might consider one of those down the line. 

Unfortunately there is only one [decent] local camera shop, and their stock isn't great.  Of the few things they sell that I would buy, it's way overpriced compared to what can be found online so I've never bought anything.  They don't carry any L lenses other than 70-200 f4s and 17-40s... Maybe they have a hidden stash, but I havent had a reason to ask yet.... Most of their bags are lowepros.  They DID have one Kata 222 "PL", which is similar to the 111 but bigger and heavier, and the inside is completely dedicated to gear (not divided off on top, and no aluminum frame like the UL versions).  It WAS comfortable though.  I liked the "gecko" straps and the overall feel. And sitting next to a bunch of lowepros and other brands I didn't recognize—it looked more well made.

Also, @fugu82, I wasnt a fan of the bottom opening part.  And I don't have 6 men and a boy to help me out lol.  Might be a good excuse to find 6 women and a... another woman to help me out. LOL

The Think Tanks are pretty popular it seems.  I'm seeing the name everywhere when I search for bags online... one thing I find funny is that, for a brand that seems to target a crowd who wants an inconspicuous bag, they chose a logo that looks extremely similar to one of the most widely known tech brands.... Thinkpad.  Just an observation... because I know they don't really stamp it all over their bags (like lowepro likes to do...) 
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »

JBeckwith

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
I realize this won't fit all of your gear at once, but I'm currently loving my Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW.  It fits my 70-200, another lens (or flash) and a few accessories.  It also comes in a larger version but I am very happy with this size.  It has climbed mountains and been on long bike rides with me.  It is very comfortable, has a rain cover, and doesn't immediately give away the fact that I'm carrying several thousand dollars worth of camera gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855683-REG/Lowepro_LP36422_PWW_Flipside_Sport_10L_AW.html

or larger versions:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lowepro+flipside&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
5D Mark II | 70-200 f/4L IS USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Yongnuo 560 II

al2

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
It depends on how you are going to use the bag.  If the purpose is to just transport your gear from one place to another and you will only be wearing it for a short time, the type of bag you are looking at is OK.  However, if you will be wearing it for most of the day and for the amount of weight you are going to carry, I would highly recommend a backpack with a frame and a good load carrying belt.  It will take the weight off your shoulders and allows you to carry it on your hips.  These will tend to look like hiking backpacks, but there is a reason those look the way they do, they work.  F-Stop makes some and also Click Elite And many others.  If you are taller than average look for a model with an adjustable height or that the height is long enough that the belt will be located on your hips properly. 

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »
there are lots of things to consider...i looked hard at that kata you like, but went with a slightly bigger kata...the bug.  which i like quite a bit....it might be worth considering if you think you might someday upgrade to a pro size camera or add a battery grip... good luck!

kata bug...

http://www.kata-bags.us/bug-205-pl-for-pro-dslr-w-300mm-lens-attached-5-6lenses
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 03:39:36 AM »
all i can say is i have a kata bug 205 (and another kata i don´t know the name of right now. it´s the HB 205 i think) and i love them.

most comfortable harness i ever had on a photo backpack.
as a woman, i think the waist belt is a great help to carry the weight.

the HB 205 comes with a waist belt. for the bug 205 you have to purchase it separately.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:50:37 AM by Tanja »

LettyLocke

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
Kata minibee 111-UL is one of those bags that never disappointed me ever in my quest for good bags. The build and strength of these bags are remarkable. The most important quality of a bag is that it must be able to handle stress in rough conditions. This bag stands out in that department very nicely. During my Auckland tour at New Zealand, I purchased a bag from a local online store and there I found another great piece of it. I guess I am being lucky to get quality materials delivered everywhere. Here is their website : http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/computers/laptop-accessories/laptop-bags
Take a look.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »