October 21, 2014, 11:24:06 PM

Author Topic: New EF Mount Video Camera in October? [CR1]  (Read 9179 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New EF Mount Video Camera in October? [CR1]
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »
Video camera rumors are floating around. I have now heard from two different people that a new Canon video camera will be coming down the pipe soon.

They differ in the capability of the camera, below is the different information.

Camera Rumor 1 - Video style body - APS-C Sensor - EF Mount

Camera Rumor 2 - Video style body - PL & another mount (Not EF). - APS-C Sensor

I was also told there would be a “group” of October announcements from Canon.

cr

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:20:47 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New EF Mount Video Camera in October? [CR1]
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: New EF Mount Video Camaera in October? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »
Two new video cameras from Canon?

I wonder why they've gone for APS-C and not full frame? Yield? Cost? Performance?

Good to see that they recognise that they need to stay in touch here...

Bob Howland

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »
I wonder why they've gone for APS-C and not full frame? Yield? Cost? Performance?

Probably because APS-C width, 22.5mm, is close to the width of 35mm movie film. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm#Technical_specifications . As far as I know, that is what the PL lens mount is designed for.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:02:05 AM by Bob Howland »

kirillica

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
Two new video cameras from Canon?

Good to see that they recognise that they need to stay in touch here...
No, only one. One of the rumors can become true.

Why you need FF, if HD is just 1920×1080 or approx 2,1MPx? I wonder they should have some new algorithm instead skipping lines implemented now...  ::)

Bob Howland

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:31 AM »
Why you need FF, if HD is just 1920×1080 or approx 2,1MPx?

Because the camera probably won't record as 1920 x 1080. Take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_Video_Format

kirillica

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:41 AM »

Because the camera probably won't record as 1920 x 1080. Take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_Video_Format
I don't believe this will be 8K. But 4K is still only 12MPx :)

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
If this is a EF mount video camera with a APS-C sensor will it allow EF-S lenses too?
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »

Bob Howland

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
If this is a EF mount video camera with a APS-C sensor will it allow EF-S lenses too?

Your guess is as good as anybody's. However, consider the possibility that the other (non-PL) lens mount will be a video-oriented backward-compatible derivative of the EF/EF-S lens mount, perhaps with more pins and power zoom capability. That might account for the seemingly mutually exclusive rumors.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
Now this would be amazing, although I still would rather have a Full Frame 5D3 video, but who knows when that will ever come.

It would obviously have to be mirrorless, so probably have a short flange length and can adapt any lens. I remember a while back, Canon issued a patent for an EOS electronic adapter which is for mirrorless Canons. That's probably for this video camera.

Canon needs to get back into the large sensor video game. They are about to / getting smoked by Sony and Canon.

bwhitz

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
If this is true, they really need to do something different with these. It would have to be at least a 2k camera, probably 4k. I wouldn't really be interested in just another 1080p video camera...

justicend

Re: New EF Mount Video Camera in October? [CR1]
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »
This might be true, Canon has it's PL mount cine zoom lens. May be one with the PL mount gonna cost lot. 2k and HD are matter of aspect ratio. 4K is gonna make difference.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:17:54 AM by justicend »

studio1972

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Sarah McDonnell Wedding Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 05:20:47 AM »

Actually the main reason for full frame would be to make better use of L lenses and allow shallower DoF and better low light performance.
Cheshire & Wirral Wedding Photographer

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
I really hope this rumor is true and that Canon did it right to compete with the Sony VG-20. This means EF mount, superb low light, in cam anti-shake (software based), quality codec, manual controls, full time autofocus, good microphones with option for fully controllable outboard mics and no line skipping. I'll wait for October to see what Canon offers in hopes it can use my existing glass and it can take a competent still.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:54:49 PM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »

Actually the main reason for full frame would be to make better use of L lenses and allow shallower DoF and better low light performance.

Video doesn't need as shallow DOF as stills. Focus is too difficult. With stills, a shot is taken as soon as focus is achieved. With video, the subject moves. Even if it's a small movement, it is very difficult to keep the subject in focus, so the slightly deeper DOF of APS-C is not a disadvantage for video in the way that it can be for stills

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
Video doesn't need as shallow DOF as stills.
You're right to say that video with shallow DOF isn't critically important for many people and is difficult to use - yet people still have been buying and using the HD video-enabled DSLRs and using them to replace production video cameras.  Most people have been using the ability to replace camcorders - photojournalists shooting quick segments or making video notes, hobbyists using it as they would a camcorder (less than successfully I would add).

It is a new market but already we can see that it is split into two categories.

The real question about the evolution of video in the EOS format is whether they will try to make it more like a camcorder, to appeal to everybody (somewhat like the NEX I suppose) or whether they will try hard to make it more useful for pros.  Professionals already love the low cost and maneuverability of DSLR video, and Canon probably would like the opportunity (or more accurately, recognizes they can't lose it, since these SLRs are going cheaper than even Canon's pro camcorders) to grab a new market and not rely on either their camcorders and even more expensive professional video equipment ($100,000 zooms for sports coverage aren't going to expand into new markets).  From Canon's perspective, the troubling aspect is that this might gut pro video products, but since Canon just recently joined the PL mount group it seems that they didn't have much at stake in that market so far.  Even if they don't cost as much per unit (remains to be seen) as a pro camcorder, they probably would be able to sell a good volume of them, and that could be more profitable.  They are clearly gearing up to be able to move with the market with these moves, and perhaps not so confident that they can dictate how it will end up - which is just fine.

I previously have said that EF mount is pretty silly for video, as it stands with the current lens lineup (ignoring third party manual focus lenses, but not ignoring the problems with the video quality and usability of current DSLRs with video) but if they make some lenses appropriate for video, perhaps some even with autofocus capability - and all with good manual focus rings - this system will look more attractive to video users from both camps.  They probably need continuous and quick video autofocus to get hobbyists on board, though - pros are already accustomed to manual focus for movie productions.

There are some quite interesting options possible if Canon goes into pro video - IS on video lenses has some obvious applications for even movie shooting, and should help free cinematographers from expensive rails and steadicam systems.

The one real hole in the system, so far, has been continuous focus.  It's not much used for the movies but many people would buy a competitor's camera (say a Sony SLT) for just that reason.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »