September 20, 2014, 02:12:21 AM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M Camera(s) [CR1]  (Read 26643 times)

samkatz

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
repost: first take on my EOS M(had put in wrong thread)
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »
Got my EOS -M  22mm kit from B&H on  Wed pm(ordered the day the sale started).

Will take a slight "learning curve" after  using only the D- and Rebel series for 10 years, don't shoot in "live view" much.......

First impressions:
 +very solid build,
+ no autofocus problems (S/W 2.02),
+ IQ very close to 60D(no surprise),haven't had a lens this fast since my Canon AE 1 Program 50MM 1.8

-
-  controls not very intuitive to me(which is why I love the D series buttons)
- feels strangely heavy, even though it's light...sounds like an oxymoron, but the footprint is tiny, so the weight is concentrated in a small area.
-flash I bought (small sunpakRD2000 unit) really has lousy coverage.I didn't want to spend the $ for Canon unit. maybe down the road.

I bought this on a whim as something I can keep with me as a second kit at all times, eg if I'm carrying my bird photography kit and want to grab a wider landscape or snapshot.  Have been using my Samsung Galaxy  for that, , but now I  won't have to sacrifice an IQ should I want to really work with the images, print etc.

Whatever Canon's motivation for clearing these out at low price(assuming they cut wholesale price), I think they may have gotten the M-series in the hands of many of us who were not going there otherwise after the negative reviews plus high price.  If I really get used to this, I'd add a short zoom, and down the road maybe the EOS MII, M&M or whatever they call the next version.

canon rumors FORUM

repost: first take on my EOS M(had put in wrong thread)
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »

hmmm

Re: Got my Order cancellation fromn Adorama today
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

Dear Customer,

Thank you for ordering the CANON EOS M EF-M22MM STM KIT. Please understand that since this special offer was re-posted on numerous 'deals' websites, the demand for this item simply outnumbered the supply that we had on hand.

At this moment we are not able to get more quantity to be able to supply all open orders, we therefore have no other choice but to cancel your order.

You may see a 'Pending' charge or 'Authorization' charge in your account. Any authorization that may have been taken should expire 7 days from your original order date.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Adorama Customer Service.

Take 2:

Dear Adorama,

I did not realize at the time I ordered that your business practice is to multi-post your inventory on numerous websites, a practice that is misleading to the customer in that you can not guarantee availability of the inventory indicated in your listings.

My policy is to engage in the highest level of ethical integrity in my own business dealings; I seek to do business with vendors who also deal in a high level of ethical integrity.

With regret I must inform you that you have been removed from my list of preferred vendors at this time.

It is my hope that you will change your policy of multi-listing inventory and that perhaps at some future date your status as a preferred vendor may be reinstated.

Sincerely,

Former Adorama Customer

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: The Next EOS M Camera(s) [CR1]
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
hmmm,

You are being ridiculous. Adorama didn't repost it, places like Canon Rumors did, the only fault Adorama could be accused of is having an automated order service that doesn't cross reference stock numbers, that is obviously second in the order chain.

If I said I'll give anybody who asks $10 while sitting on my boat I'd give away a few hundred dollars, if my offer was re-posted here I'd be bankrupt. Adorama probably had tens or hundreds of EOS-M's, the increased interest and blanket internet chatter sold them out, no harm no foul.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Rick

• Canon AE-1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 03:11:37 PM »
Oh well, hopefully the other vendor from whom I purchased the adapter will take my return.

Amazon.com has the EOS M + 22mm kit in stock for $299.

$299.00  New

Usually ships within 1 - 3 months.

The 1 to 2 month ETA sort of bothered me.  ;)
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

hmmm

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
hmmm,

You are being ridiculous. Adorama didn't repost it, places like Canon Rumors did, the only fault Adorama could be accused of is having an automated order service that doesn't cross reference stock numbers, that is obviously second in the order chain.

If I said I'll give anybody who asks $10 while sitting on my boat I'd give away a few hundred dollars, if my offer was re-posted here I'd be bankrupt. Adorama probably had tens or hundreds of EOS-M's, the increased interest and blanket internet chatter sold them out, no harm no foul.

Everyone makes their own decisions about who to do business with, and I'm sure my change in how I personally evaluate Adorama is not going to drive them out of business...

However, if Vendor A sells item M on several different websites, and makes no disclaimer that Item M is being offered for sale elsewhere with its availability subject to previous sale, and vendor A represents that item M is in stock on those websites -- and vendor B maintains more accurate stock counts so that if they offer item M for sale there is a very high confidence that it is in fact in inventory -- then it would be rational, not ridiculous, to choose to do business with vendor B in the future once this business practice is known.

Vendor B is still on my preferred vendor list, and I wish I had ordered from vendor B in this case, as I have often done in the past.   If I had ordered from vendor B I would have camera M in my pack now for my next hike.

Lesson learned.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
or is it the classic story of the fire sale.

All these folk who didn't see the point, and didn't want an M, suddenly got one when the price dropped.

Sluts.

If you'd wanted one you'd have had one.  You didn't.  you wanted a bargain. Well. They don't last forever.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
hmmm,

Everyone makes their own decisions about who to do business with, and I'm sure my change in how I personally evaluate Adorama is not going to drive them out of business...

However, if Vendor A sells item M on several different websites, and makes no disclaimer that Item M is being offered for sale elsewhere with its availability subject to previous sale, and vendor A represents that item M is in stock on those websites -- and vendor B maintains more accurate stock counts so that if they offer item M for sale there is a very high confidence that it is in fact in inventory -- then it would be rational, not ridiculous, to choose to do business with vendor B in the future once this business practice is known.

Vendor B is still on my preferred vendor list, and I wish I had ordered from vendor B in this case, as I have often done in the past.   If I had ordered from vendor B I would have camera M in my pack now for my next hike.

Lesson learned.

If this was a normal "good deal" sale of an item, I could see your point that a seller should maintain accurate inventory control. But I think it is obvious (to most people) that this was an extraordinary sale that could not last for long. At $300 a pop, I have to think that somebody isn't pulling in the profit margin they had in mind, so the supply is bound to be limited. If you had decided to pull the trigger in a more timely manner and spent less time saying "hmmm", you wouldn't have needed to post this.

When you snooze you lose

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »

Dear Adorama,

I did not realize at the time I ordered that your business practice is to multi-post your inventory on numerous websites, a practice that is misleading to the customer in that you can not guarantee availability of the inventory indicated in your listings.

My policy is to engage in the highest level of ethical integrity in my own business dealings; I seek to do business with vendors who also deal in a high level of ethical integrity.

With regret I must inform you that you have been removed from my list of preferred vendors at this time.

It is my hope that you will change your policy of multi-listing inventory and that perhaps at some future date your status as a preferred vendor may be reinstated.

Sincerely,

Former Adorama Customer

We do NOT multi-post our inventory on multiple websites.

We post our inventory at www.adorama.com

However, we have absolutely no control over how many people, on seeing a great deal, decide to multipost on their own websites, deal websites, blogs, shopping sites, photography groups etc.

Out of curiosity, did you place your order after seeing it on our website, or after seeing it posted on a 3rd party site?

We also cannot control how many special-priced units are purchased, not for personal use, but for re-sale on eBay, Craigslist etc - a swift look at, for example, Slick Deals, would indicate that is how a number of people actually make their living.

However, we accept and appreciate that there are many excellent photography retailers - alongside some with absolutely no ethics or moral fiber at all - and with regret, respect your decision to cease doing business with Adorama.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:58:01 PM by Helen Oster »
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon_convert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
hmmm,

I completely agree. However, it's a shame that adorama can't include such a basic check in there ordering system.
5D MkIII, 24-05, 50mm 1.4

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »

it's a shame that adorama can't include such a basic check in there ordering system.

Unfortunately the most common reason for this happening is when an item is unexpectedly popular and the orders we receive outpace our website’s inventory update system. Adorama Camera is built on customer satisfaction and we do try very hard to avoid situations that cause disappointment.

We are always sorry when customers are inconvenienced because our website does not update in real time and therefore cannot always state that items selected by a customer are on backorder. When there is a greater demand for an item than anticipated, and we are already low on inventory and then receive several orders within just a few minutes via the various portals such as BizRate, Amazon and buy.com, plus via our own website, the 'phones and in store, it isn't immediately obvious to our stock-keeping system which customer is going to be disappointed. This is compounded because we do not ever make a charge until an item has actually shipped.

We understand that timing is often critical and want to ensure that our customers are aware of any possible delays; therefore, if an order which enters our system includes an item which isn’t available to ship immediately, we will do our best to notify customers by email on the first business day following receipt of the order.

Had this project come to fruition in summer 2011 as we were promised, http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/9/prweb9875018.htm  we would by now have a much better stock-keeping situation. We are still committed to doing this, but as we are actually a family business, it is going to take us a lot longer than we'd ever dreamed it would - but will continue to work towards a solution to improve the response time of our inventory updates, and hope that you will continue to enjoy purchasing from Adorama.
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon_convert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
Hi Helen,

Thanks for the response. I understand adorama being a family business but, I think for a company your size such checks are a must despite orders coming in from various sources. I work for a fairly huge firm (with millions of transactions every hour at times) and I can speak from experience that implementing such checks shouldn't take more than few months provided adorama is willing to spend some $'s to revamp the ordering system.

Having said that I do love shopping at adorama due to good CS experience i've had and would continue to do so in future as well.

cheers
5D MkIII, 24-05, 50mm 1.4

Rick

• Canon AE-1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »

it's a shame that adorama can't include such a basic check in there ordering system.

Unfortunately the most common reason for this happening is when an item is unexpectedly popular and the orders we receive outpace our website’s inventory update system. Adorama Camera is built on customer satisfaction and we do try very hard to avoid situations that cause disappointment.

We are always sorry when customers are inconvenienced because our website does not update in real time and therefore cannot always state that items selected by a customer are on backorder. When there is a greater demand for an item than anticipated, and we are already low on inventory and then receive several orders within just a few minutes via the various portals such as BizRate, Amazon and buy.com, plus via our own website, the 'phones and in store, it isn't immediately obvious to our stock-keeping system which customer is going to be disappointed. This is compounded because we do not ever make a charge until an item has actually shipped.

We understand that timing is often critical and want to ensure that our customers are aware of any possible delays; therefore, if an order which enters our system includes an item which isn’t available to ship immediately, we will do our best to notify customers by email on the first business day following receipt of the order.

Had this project come to fruition in summer 2011 as we were promised, http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/9/prweb9875018.htm  we would by now have a much better stock-keeping situation. We are still committed to doing this, but as we are actually a family business, it is going to take us a lot longer than we'd ever dreamed it would - but will continue to work towards a solution to improve the response time of our inventory updates, and hope that you will continue to enjoy purchasing from Adorama.

Appreciate the response. Look forward to your inventory accounting update at some point.

Was the sale marked as a clearance sale or was the disclaimer "while supplies last" used? CR didn't mention it in their annoucement. If they knew, I would think they would have made the distinction. I do not recall seeing this on any of the websites I visited looking for the item. I am curious as to whether the retailers involved knew this was a clearance sale.
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »

Appreciate the response. Look forward to your inventory accounting update at some point.

Was the sale marked as a clearance sale or was the disclaimer "while supplies last" used? CR didn't mention it in their annoucement. If they knew, I would think they would have made the distinction. I do not recall seeing this on any of the websites I visited looking for the item. I am curious as to whether the retailers involved knew this was a clearance sale.

You're kidding, Right?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2013, 02:45:21 AM »
Hi Helen,

Thanks for the response. I understand adorama being a family business but, I think for a company your size such checks are a must despite orders coming in from various sources. I work for a fairly huge firm (with millions of transactions every hour at times) and I can speak from experience that implementing such checks shouldn't take more than few months provided adorama is willing to spend some $'s to revamp the ordering system.

Having said that I do love shopping at adorama due to good CS experience i've had and would continue to do so in future as well.

cheers

We invested an enormous amount of time and $$$ in this http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/9/prweb9875018.htm  and were let down badly.

Don't forget, every $ we put into development has to come from somewhere.....
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »

Was the sale marked as a clearance sale or was the disclaimer "while supplies last" used?
I can't speak for any other retailer, but at Adorama, we didn't (You know that CR isn't a retailer, right?)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:21:35 AM by Helen Oster »
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »