July 28, 2014, 03:36:11 PM

Author Topic: Any suggestion about back pack?  (Read 5080 times)

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Any suggestion about back pack?
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:44 AM »
I have been using a case logic camera backpack for two years now. It can hold my cameras and lenses well, but after repeated use I have found out one sever limitation of this (or this "type of backpacks"). So I am looking for something "different".

Ok, so what is the limitation? To be specific I use the Case Logic DCB-309 model which can be seen here
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-309-Camera-Backpack/dp/B004JMZPK0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373265907&sr=8-6&keywords=case+logic+camera+backpack. Now this bag can carry all my gear when I am going from one place to another in car, or aeroplane or some vehicle. The problem is when I am walking around. But its entire frontal wall/side comes off (except the bottom hinge part) when the zipper is opened to access the camera. So If I am carrying two cameras one at the top end of the bag and another at the bottom then to access the camera that is at the bottom I have to open the entire bag. This creates lots of problems for me. And I do not like it.

Therefore I am looking for something like a lowepro Fastpack or case logic kilowatt ksb 102 (see here http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Kilowatt-KSB-102-Backpack/dp/B009M3UULK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373265542&sr=8-4&keywords=pro+dslr+back+pack). Now each of these bags (and may be some others) has a side opening system. I can keep a camera at the bottom of the bag and take it out sideways. So far so good. But my issue I want to carry a second camera in the same bag - in the top compartment which opens from top and front without opening the bottom compartment. My question is have any of you used these back packs in this particular way? Can the top compartment hold a second camera body - of course not with a tele lens but may be with a wide angle or walkaround zoom (say canon 17-55)? The reviews on amazon does not specificially address this issue. Otherwise do any of you know/have used any other bag with this particular facility - one side open compartment at the bottom, and one top/fron open compartment at the top - for two cameras?

Thank you for your time and patience - the post became too long.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:30:21 AM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

Any suggestion about back pack?
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:44 AM »

mb66energy

• Canon 70D
  • too many boring photos with high tech quality ...
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestion about back pack?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
Funny thing - your description reflects my fight against/with back packs and two bodies very well. I haven't found a perfect solution for that problem.

Smaller solution:
An intermediate solution is the Loewe Pro Runner 200AW which is very small but can hold two bodies and some lenses very well. I had to distribute the compartment seperators in an inconventional way to make space for
* 40D with 70-200 4.0
* 40D with 10-22
The advantage is that this backpack is small and it is easier to handle the large "aperture" without dropping devices.

Larger solution:
Another idea is to buy a so called "Lastenkraxe" (german) - a back pack base consisting of a frame of aluminum tubing and an anatomically shaped support, here a link to photo/tech specs in english:
http://daypacks.uk.homesimprovement.net/item/B000G4XLGU/tatonka-lastenkraxe-pack-frame.html
Perhaps it is a good idea to equip the frame with two camera bags, the tripod and a bag for food/water/clothing. The main advantage - IMO - is the fact that the backpack stands on the ground.
I planned to buy one and try it during some light trecking but due to a broken leg I postponed to check that solution.

Sorry for not delivering the perfect solution but I still think it doesn't exist for "Two body shooters".
Best - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40 | 2.8+2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200 | 5.6/400 || 2 x 40D || 2x TC ||| 600D for video ||| EOS M + bunch of FD chrome rings

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:44:50 AM »
I was just shopping for bags the other day. I've been using the TrekPak system for about a year now and I love it. I couldn't find any camera bags that fit my needs without looking frumpy or blatantly like a camera bag, but the TrekPak dividers basically allow me to turn any backpack into a camera bag.

So, with the internals sorted, I started looking into hiking bags with panel loading and found a couple that open from the front (like normal) and from the back-- so I don't have to set down my straps in the mud to get out my camera. That was the feature I was looking for, although it sounds like your needs are a bit different.

Anyways, long story short, I'm sorry I can't think of a specific bag that meets your needs-- but I'd looking into buying dividers from TrekPak and then browsing hiking backpacks to find one that fits your needs. The selection of hiking backpacks is tremendous compared to the limited amount of camera backpacks out there.
5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 II L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:04:54 AM »
I had a similar issue (SWMBO wants me to carry her gear too) and although I have not the route of two cameras and lenses in one pack I was looking at some of the stuff from Kata. Ive read the make good stuff that is on par with Lowepro. Check out some of their 3n1 stuff. I am not sure how the top compartment is but it looks like it opens up into the bottom and that 2 cameras can go in the bottom.

If the Lowepro fastpack or Case Logic kilowatt are like the Lowepro slingpack I have, no chance in putting a camera in the top part unless it is a Rebel with small lens attached
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

Efka76

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:18:57 AM »
Before byuing bag for my equipment I made quite extensive research. At first I had to decide what type of bag I want. Backpacks are good for carrying gear, however, they aare inconvenient when you need to have quick access to it. Accordingly, I decided to buy messenger type bag.

Secondly, I looked what is optimum equipment I will be carrying and actually using. It is not wise to put all your equipment in one bag and carry all stuff if you do not have intentions to use some of it (e.g. flash, or macro lens).

Thirdly, I was looking at quality of bags as I do not want to constantly buy bags and spend my money.

Based on that, I chose ThinkTank Retrospective 30 and I am very happy with my choice. I hope that this logic might be useful to you as well.
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »
Based on that, I chose ThinkTank Retrospective 30 and I am very happy with my choice. I hope that this logic might be useful to you as well.
I have the Retrospective 30 as well, and I absolutely love it. It was filled to the brim on my October National Park "Hunt" with 2 bodies, 3 lenses, extender, 580ex flash, filters, memory cards and batteries.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:21 AM »
I use the somewhat similar Tamrac Evolution 9 when I need to carry a ton of gear.
Here's the link http://www.tamrac.com/products/evolution9/

My personnal answer is yeah you can but not with lens mounted. The top compartiment has a net that is usually for small things but that can also be used to tuck up a second body. Never had any problem. The rest of the bag is cool.

But I wouldn't put the body in the top compartiment if it didn't have this net with elastic "waistband".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:21 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »
Backpacks are good for carrying gear, however, they are inconvenient when you need to have quick access to it. Accordingly, I decided to buy messenger type bag.

+100

I own both a variety of backpacks and a messenger bag. Mostly I am traveling with the latter. My messenger back has been designed for carrying two pro-sized cameras plus three or four extra lenses. For being able to quickly access your cameras and being able to stow them away with the same quickness there is no substitute for using a messenger back.

In case you prefer backpacks for trekking longer distances you can get good ones with decent back support and fittings on the front, so that you can hang your camera from there, not from your neck.

I buy such equipment from a Chinese company named Vanguard. I am very happy with the quality of their products, but obviously there are others to be recommended in this area as well such as ThinkTank.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:24:13 AM by AmbientLight »

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:00:49 AM »
I use an f-stop backpack. Extremely durable and good looking. Little pricy but lasts forever.
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:09:18 AM »
I use a Kata Bumblebee UL 222 backpack and it has two separated compartments for the use you're describing. It's brilliant. A bit expensive but well worth the dosh.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »
Any compromises? Get the second link you provided, in addition to a crumpler 4 million or 5 million dollar home? I don't think there's really anything on the market that meets your criteria 100%

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
I personally find lowepro inverse 200aw beltpack to be best for my needs. Clearly it won't fit all gear but it is enough for the two/three lenses I use most often. When necessary I carry a backpack to fit all the rest of the stuffs I may need. The stuffs in the backpack are used less frequently of course.  This is my solution so far.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

meadowfresh

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
I have been using a Vanguard bag for a few years which has been fantastic. Easy to put the camera in and out, and it is rather secure. I have taking it on several planes, day trips through forests etc.

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-Backpack-33.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »

Vivid Color

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
Check out the Gura Gear backpacks with the butterfly openings. Or some of the larger Think Tank backpacks.

John

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »
try the tamrac expedition 6x. i own it and like it very much. if it is too big, then try the smaller one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544649-REG/Tamrac_558601_5586_Expedition_6x_Backpack.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »