November 23, 2014, 07:13:00 PM

Author Topic: 50 F1.4 durabilty question  (Read 10681 times)

CANONisOK

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 50 F1.4 durabilty question
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
I swear 50% of the "build quality" of L lenses is purely a marketing tactic.  They could have just as easily made plastic the "premium" material and dubbed it with some fancy name like "ultralight" line.  Metal has just as many downsides as it does positives, if you ask me.

I know one anecdote does not a study make... but about a month ago my stomach turned as I saw my 85L get knocked over and roll off a table and fall 3 feet onto the (carpeted) floor. Lots of pics since then have confirmed that it is no worse for wear WRT functionality and focusing accuracy.

Maybe the circumstances (fall distance, impact velocity/rotation/angle, floor material, etc.) were "ideal". Maybe it was just plain old luck. I don't plan on performing any more tests to see if I can duplicate the results under different conditions!  ;)
5D mark 3: R14/2.8, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 50 1.2L, 100L macro, 85L, 135L, 300mm f/2.8 ii. 8-15L Fisheye, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L IS II, TAM 150-600mm,  2x600ex-rt
EOS M: 18-55mm, 22mm
SL1: 10-18mm IS, 18-55mm IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »

BozillaNZ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »
Yes it's durability is very bad.

The problem is not only a front push would deform the helicoid, but also a side squeeze will do the damage too. It is badly designed.

Taking it apart you can see that the thin aluminum focus helicoid is sandwiched between two plastic rings with little to no tolerance. A simple squeeze will deform the helicoid and make it jam up with either inner or outer ring of plastic.

If you want to try it, simple squeeze the lens around front of focus ring and try to AF, it won't! LOL!
Look ma, me cameraz can push shadow 10 stoops w/o noizes, OMGWTFBBQChickenwingHaxorz!!!11
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 05:07:48 AM »
I finally received the repaired lens, 172 euro, replacement of focus gears, barrel and cleaning of the lens elements. It works like a charm, though to my ears the focus sounds different now. I tried it next to the replacement 50 F1.4 and the results were identical when it cames to focus performance, so I guess the repair really made it as good as new.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »
Do not drop your lenses! - Problem solved ;)
FF + primes !

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »

+1....dropped my 85L II yesterday :(
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »

OMG  :( ... is it fine?
Originally, I wanted to ask the OP - "Are you wondering if an L lens would allow you to drop it continuously?", but then I remembered about the warning I've got from the "trolling rights watch" (no offense :)). So, is it the first time you've dropped it?
FF + primes !

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 03:26:37 AM »
Originally, I wanted to ask the OP - "Are you wondering if an L lens would allow you to drop it continuously?", but then I remembered about the warning I've got from the "trolling rights watch" (no offense :)). So, is it the first time you've dropped it?

Yes, it was the first time I dropped that particular lens, and that was from only one metre high onto a wooden floor. It was however the second time I destroyed a 50F1.4 as the first one died with exactly the same problem when a handheld scanner slipped out of my hands and hit it while it was on a camera. I have lots of other lenses (both L and non-L) and never had any issues with those, even though they are used in averse conditions (having people bump into you, backpack on bike, doorframes. tripod failure,...)

So my question was rather than "can I drop it continuously", "Do the L Lenses with internal focussing offer better protection against deformation" Because If I have to baby the 50F1.4 every time I throw it in a backpack, I might as wel save up for the 50 1.2L as i'll end up destroying more 50F1.4's in the end (Now on my third copy of the lens already)

But no offense taken for your original question, it was more about the fact that the particular lens I have is apparently very prone to issues due to the construction (so Next time, I'll replace it tiwth the L anyway)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 03:26:37 AM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »

Yes, it was the first time I dropped that particular lens, and that was from only one metre high onto a wooden floor. It was however the second time I destroyed a 50F1.4 as the first one died with exactly the same problem when a handheld scanner slipped out of my hands and hit it while it was on a camera. I have lots of other lenses (both L and non-L) and never had any issues with those, even though they are used in averse conditions (having people bump into you, backpack on bike, doorframes. tripod failure,...)

So my question was rather than "can I drop it continuously", "Do the L Lenses with internal focussing offer better protection against deformation" Because If I have to baby the 50F1.4 every time I throw it in a backpack, I might as wel save up for the 50 1.2L as i'll end up destroying more 50F1.4's in the end (Now on my third copy of the lens already)

But no offense taken for your original question, it was more about the fact that the particular lens I have is apparently very prone to issues due to the construction (so Next time, I'll replace it tiwth the L anyway)

That makes sense. However, you would throw away a lot more $ if you destroy a 50L :). You've said that you love the manual focusing ring, then maybe a pure manual prime is what you need?
FF + primes !

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:26 AM »

OMG  :( ... is it fine?

The lens was dropped from 3-4ft to firm carpet floor. I tested the lens and it seems working fine. The lens is currently in Canon Service Center, Irvine, CA for over all check up.

That was my 1st time dropping the lens...and I DO NOT have any plan to drop it again ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:56 AM »
A lenscaot for non-wildlife lenses would be great. Not to hade it,j but rather to protect it. Or seomething based on crazy aarons thinking putty?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:56 AM »