April 20, 2014, 04:14:24 PM

Author Topic: Just got my 135L!  (Read 15907 times)

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
Re: Just got my 135L!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

Why not put another $100ish and get new lens....I just don't get it :-\

Must be great to have that kind of money to burn. How about because $100 can buy groceries for a family for a week?

With all respects; if budget is that tight, about not getting L lenses at all.

50 f1.4, 85 f1.8 etc...will be just fine
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »

Actually about $250 if you check the official retail prices. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112539-USA/Canon_2520A004_Telephoto_EF_135mm_f_2_0L.html

On top of this, with the refurbished warranty now matching the regular MFR's warranty (1 year) there's almost no real reason to "just" spend the extra $100/$250/whatever it is that the cost is.  You're basically paying for a retail box, and a camera that is just as likely (okay, technically it's actually slightly more likely) to have issues than a refurbished camera. 

*The reason why I believe a new camera is more likely to have issues than a refurbished camera is that a refurbished camera has already been given the factory once-over, and either was returned and refurbished to new for some reason, or didn't finish the original manufacturing process and had to be pulled from the line and adjusted/fixed before being considered finished.  Thus, things get QC checked twice, compared to the once that normal retail gets.

Let get one thing straight, REBURB item DO NOT get treat special as many of you think.

Refurb. is defective item. PERIOD. NOT opened box or returned to customer changed mind.

Refurb. could be a simple broken cold solder joint in elec. circuit boards after 1-2yrs of use. Worst - broken parts that repaired with parts came from 3rd party vendors or contract manufacture(CM). NOT original parts that call out from Canon BILL OF MATERIAL(BOM)

Click

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
I scored a 135L for $859 the other day. I have this trust issue with used things, especially high quality technology, but I pulled the trigger anyways. The lens arrived in immaculate condition, basically brand new. These following shots are LITERALLY the first two shots I took out front of my house. Wow, the countless comments I read on this forum really do live up to the hype. Easily my favorite lens yet.

Congrats on your new acquisition. Enjoy it fully, it's a great lens.

crasher8

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

Actually about $250 if you check the official retail prices. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112539-USA/Canon_2520A004_Telephoto_EF_135mm_f_2_0L.html

Supply proof.

On top of this, with the refurbished warranty now matching the regular MFR's warranty (1 year) there's almost no real reason to "just" spend the extra $100/$250/whatever it is that the cost is.  You're basically paying for a retail box, and a camera that is just as likely (okay, technically it's actually slightly more likely) to have issues than a refurbished camera. 

*The reason why I believe a new camera is more likely to have issues than a refurbished camera is that a refurbished camera has already been given the factory once-over, and either was returned and refurbished to new for some reason, or didn't finish the original manufacturing process and had to be pulled from the line and adjusted/fixed before being considered finished.  Thus, things get QC checked twice, compared to the once that normal retail gets.

Let get one thing straight, REBURB item DO NOT get treat special as many of you think.

Refurb. is defective item. PERIOD. NOT opened box or returned to customer changed mind.

Refurb. could be a simple broken cold solder joint in elec. circuit boards after 1-2yrs of use. Worst - broken parts that repaired with parts came from 3rd party vendors or contract manufacture(CM). NOT original parts that call out from Canon BILL OF MATERIAL(BOM)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »

And you know this how?

Canon USA is buying and installing replacement parts from third-party vendors? Yeah, right.

And, if it comes with the same warranty as a new item, who cares?

Having purchased a number of refurbished lenses, strobes and bodies, I strongly suspect that Canon USA just diverts a certain percentage of their stock, marks a little pinprick by the serial number and calls it refurbished. (That, by the way, is a joke)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
The 135L was the first used lens I ever bought. Did not regret that decision. Surely a e refurb is just as good if not better than a well looked after used lens. And the 135L is solidly built. Not heard of anyone having issues with this lens on CR. I could be wrong!
5D II | 7D | EOS M + 22 f2 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »

Rather than getting sent through a QA process, they are fixed and hand tested to meet or exceed the quality of those which are sold as new. Canon has far too good of a reputation riding on their refurbished line to put 3rd party parts in their lenses. Further, I have dismantled the lenses I've purchased refurbished from them and the look as brand new on the inside as they do on the outside.

If you have not purchased a lens through their refurb program, you have no grounds to speak on for this debate. Please do refrain from getting up on a soapbox and stating your opinion as though it were fact, for it makes you look ignorant. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »

Sorry, I gotta do it again:

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »

Rather than getting sent through a QA process, they are fixed and hand tested to meet or exceed the quality of those which are sold as new. Canon has far too good of a reputation riding on their refurbished line to put 3rd party parts in their lenses. Further, I have dismantled the lenses I've purchased refurbished from them and the look as brand new on the inside as they do on the outside.

If you have not purchased a lens through their refurb program, you have no grounds to speak on for this debate. Please do refrain from getting up on a soapbox and stating your opinion as though it were fact, for it makes you look ignorant.

I hope you are the correct one here Niterider...  It would be more trouble for Canon to go out of their way to make a new business out of downgrading parts when they already have mass quantities of original parts and a streamlined way of producing their products.  The "piece of mind" that comes with a freshly sealed box is the only thing you get for the difference in price...

Dylan, have you had a bad experience with buying refurbished gear?
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

cellomaster27

• Rebel T5i
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 01:38:15 AM »
Wow! That's really really good to hear about canon refurb!! Thanks!!

Quick question... Is it worth getting the 135L even for crop sensor? Lol thanks! I might "just" get one.
Canon stuff

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:26 AM »
I scored a 135L for $859 the other day. I have this trust issue with used things, especially high quality technology, but I pulled the trigger anyways. The lens arrived in immaculate condition, basically brand new. These following shots are LITERALLY the first two shots I took out front of my house. Wow, the countless comments I read on this forum really do live up to the hype. Easily my favorite lens yet.

Congratulations!  It's my favorite also.  I bought mine new from Abe's of Maine, in 2009, for about $930.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »

With 15yrs in mannufacturing, controlling CMs over sea...this method is currently been use in BIG companies. I should had said in my statement about 3rd party vendors, this is elec. 3 party vendor components. (capacitor, resistor, IC chip, SMT parts etc...)

I'll give you a hint: time = $. Putting more time to repair defective parts and sell for less is not how business operates. Today, big companies don't even try to trouble shoot in components level anymore. They replace PCB, WP levels.

Without knowledge in today manufacturing: "LEAN MANAFACTURING" & "SUPPLY CHAIN", your comments could make you look ignorant.

You mentioned, "I have dismantled the lenses I've purchased refurbished from them and the look as brand new on the inside as they do on the outside" ==> Unless you can indentify the original elec. components that were called out from Canon Bill of Material in MFG.

THE TRUE HURT, therefore,  people don't like to hear it ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:40:09 AM by Dylan777 »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

I hope you are the correct one here Niterider...  It would be more trouble for Canon to go out of their way to make a new business out of downgrading parts when they already have mass quantities of original parts and a streamlined way of producing their products.  The "piece of mind" that comes with a freshly sealed box is the only thing you get for the difference in price...

Dylan, have you had a bad experience with buying refurbished gear?

No, I would rather buy used from original owner.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:40:56 AM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »

With 15yrs in mannufacturing, controlling CMs over sea...this method is currently been use in BIG companies. I should had clarify my statement 3rd party vendors, this is elec. 3 party vendor components. (capacitor, resistor, IC chip, SMT parts etc...)

I'll give you a hint: time = $. Putting more time to repair defective parts and sell for less is not how business operates. Today, big companies don't even try to trouble shoot in components level anymore. They replace PCB, WP levels.

Without knowledge in "LEAN MANAFACTURING" & "SUPPLY CHAIN" today business, your comments could make you look ignorant.

You mentioned, "I have dismantled the lenses I've purchased refurbished from them and the look as brand new on the inside as they do on the outside" ==> Unless you can indentify the original elec. components that were called out from Canon Bill of Material in MFG.

THE TRUE HURT, therefore,  people don't like to hear it ;)

We don't really care about any of that.  We're talking about CANON and what CANON does with refurb items.  Do you KNOW that's what Canon does, or are you just guessing and then in a weird twist of irony calling everyone else's statements ignorant?  Please demonstrate with facts that what you have said is TRUE regarding Canon refurb products.  You keep mentioning "big companies" but you've never mentioned Canon.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »

We don't really care about any of that.  We're talking about CANON and what CANON does with refurb items.  Do you KNOW that's what Canon does, or are you just guessing and then in a weird twist of irony calling everyone else's statements ignorant?  Please demonstrate with facts that what you have said is TRUE regarding Canon refurb products.  You keep mentioning "big companies" but you've never mentioned Canon.

I DIDN'T call "everyone else's statements ignorant".

My response "Without knowledge in "LEAN MANAFACTURING" & "SUPPLY CHAIN" today business, your comments could make you look ignorant." was pin-point @ NiteRider.

I don't work for Canon. If you think Canon is a big company, then you should REALLY think about it. Business concept & structure are the same.

Which accounting method do you think Canon is using?
1.  + in one account and add + in another account
                             OR
2. + in one account, - in another account
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:05:49 AM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »