July 28, 2014, 08:29:20 AM

Author Topic: Arca Swiss plate for EOS M  (Read 6020 times)

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Arca Swiss plate for EOS M
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
Hi all,

My EOS M will be arriving in a day or two, and I'd like to get it paired properly with a small, arca swiss compatible plate that doesn't extend way past the body (like a typical DSLR plate would on the M)

Any one out there happy with the one they are using?  I'd like to keep it semi permanently attached to the camera, so not blocking the battery door is a must.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:23:08 PM by BL »
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

Arca Swiss plate for EOS M
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Arca Swiss plate for EOS M
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
Try http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_32.

FYI, I don't have this, my M arrived today. Was thinking of the RRS L-plate, but it's big.  Your question reminded me of Hejnar's little plates, the 0.8" 3-hole plate without ridge looks like it would work.

I do have the RRS B26 plate for the base of the EF Mount Adapter (haven't bought a dedicated one yet, just 'borrowed' the one from my camcorder), it's a bit bigger than the foot but will work well with an adapted lens that doesn't have a collar of its own.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wsheldon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
I picked up a Kirk PZ-130 (universal plate for P&S cameras) for my Olympus PEN EPL-2 a year ago. Inexpensive and works well, but it is a but chunky to leave on all the time. It has several grooves for the mounting screw to accommodate different form factors. Here's the link: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Universal_Camera_Plate_for_Point_and_Shoot_cameras.html

Congrats on your new camera - I like the PEN as a tote-along M43 camera, but wish I would've waited now that the M is down to $300, so I could share some accessories with my DSLRs.

Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »
The plate for the Joby ballhead X is pretty small. Not sure if they still sell it separately

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
I have a Hejnar D20 on my EOS-M right now and I think it fits pretty well.  It's 1.5in wide (needed to clamp) and 1.25in long (front to back).  It has a ridge on the back (about 0.1 - 0.125in) to prevent rotation so it sticks out about that far from the back of the camera.

It does not quite extend all the way to the front of the body, but it's close.  It stops before the lens mount begins.

One thing to note, although I don't think it matters too much, is that the bottom of the body is not flat all the way from front to back.  You can see gaps between the plate and body.  This will be the case with any plate - except those that have a pad on the top.

If you look on the bottom of the body around the tripod mount you will see some raised bumps in front of and behind the hole.  These fit inside the slot in the plate.  If your plate only has a round hole and no slot, you may not be able to seat the plate as closely to the body as you'd like.

Mounted centered around the tripod hole, the plate still allows you to open the battery/SD compartment without removing it.  This will probably be the case with most plates, but you may want to check before buying one.

fugu

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
Anyone using a plate that has a slot or bar for a handstrap?

Taemobig

• Rebel SL1
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
Anyone using a plate that has a slot or bar for a handstrap?

I use the ARCA plate from peakdesign with my DSLR. For something like the EOS M you might be interested in their Micro plate. Here's the link if you want to check it out: https://peakdesignltd.com/plates/

All the plates are ARCA swiss compatible btw.
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »

BL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
Hi all,

Many thanks for the numerous suggestions!  I've decided to try something inexpensive, with a rubber non slip material, for just under $10 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-Camera-Compatible-D-Ring-DP-25/dp/B00B13QQGM/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373347522&sr=8-1&keywords=desmond+p25

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »
I do have the RRS B26 plate for the base of the EF Mount Adapter (haven't bought a dedicated one yet, just 'borrowed' the one from my camcorder), it's a bit bigger than the foot but will work well with an adapted lens that doesn't have a collar of its own.

Here's the RRS B26 plate on the EF Mount Adapter.

BL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
hey neuro,

do you find that plate to slip rotationally on that tripod collar?  i noticed neither the plate or collar have that grippy rubber material on the surfaces that join.

i plan to use the M on my 70-200 II occasionally for landscapes, and wonder about the weight...

thanks!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
do you find that plate to slip rotationally on that tripod collar?  i noticed neither the plate or collar have that grippy rubber material on the surfaces that join.

It doesn't rotate at all, no need for grippy rubber.  The B26 is a video-style plate, and the EF-M adapter tripod foot has a hole for the pin (at least, the OEM one does - I've seen pics of knock-offs that don't have that hole).

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
hey neuro,

i plan to use the M on my 70-200 II occasionally for landscapes, and wonder about the weight...

thanks!

Why would you use the tripod foot on the adapter instead of the tripod foot on the 70-200?  I'd be much more comfortable hanging the adapter and camera off of the lens than I would hanging the lens from the adapter.

As far as the anti-rotation features of the plates, I prefer plates that are custom fit to the lens/body or have an anti-rotation lip instead of a rubber or cork pad.  It's harder to tell how tightly you've attached the plate and plates with pads can loosen over time (my plates are almost never removed).  Ideally, I like the plates that are custom made for bodies, fit like a glove, and can't possibly rotate.  I've used these on every DSLR I've had since my original Canon D60.

BL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
because i backpack for days on end hiking through yosemite, europe, or wherever I am travelling through. 

not having to bring the tripod collar for both my 100L macro and 70-200 would be a very welcome reduction to bulk and weight, not to mention shedding what feels like more than a few pounds leaving the 5D behind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

BL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »

It doesn't rotate at all, no need for grippy rubber.  The B26 is a video-style plate, and the EF-M adapter tripod foot has a hole for the pin (at least, the OEM one does - I've seen pics of knock-offs that don't have that hole).

this looks perfect.  thank you!!!

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
because i backpack for days on end hiking through yosemite, europe, or wherever I am travelling through. 

not having to bring the tripod collar for both my 100L macro and 70-200 would be a very welcome reduction to bulk and weight, not to mention shedding what feels like more than a few pounds leaving the 5D behind.

I hope you have the f/4 version and/or a very stout ballhead. The M with the 2.8 version supported by the adapter would be extremely unbalanced...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:59:38 PM by brad-man »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »