December 19, 2014, 09:27:13 PM

Author Topic: Arca Swiss plate for EOS M  (Read 8162 times)

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Arca Swiss plate for EOS M
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
because i backpack for days on end hiking through yosemite, europe, or wherever I am travelling through. 

not having to bring the tripod collar for both my 100L macro and 70-200 would be a very welcome reduction to bulk and weight, not to mention shedding what feels like more than a few pounds leaving the 5D behind.

A good reason to want to limit what you are carrying, but I don't think I'd be comfortable hanging my 70-200/2.8 off of the EOS-M adapter.  I have not tried it, however.

It's certainly easy enough for you to test and decide if you are happy with it.  I'd like to hear what you determine.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »
this looks perfect.  thank you!!!

One point to note - with the plate installed and the foot mounted on the adapter, the adapter cannot be mounted on (or unmounted from) the EOS M.  You need to loosen the knurled knob on foot - not the plate, just the foot, and just loose, no need to remove it.  With everything tightened, the plate doesn't quite clear the corner of the M.

A good reason to want to limit what you are carrying, but I don't think I'd be comfortable hanging my 70-200/2.8 off of the EOS-M adapter.  I have not tried it, however.

It works.   :D  Of course, with a ballhead less robust than the RRS BH-55 LR, it's quite likely you'd see settling and drift with a front-heavy load like that (and carrying a more robust ballhead just save on the weight of the tripod collar likely isn't the best choice).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »
this looks perfect.  thank you!!!

One point to note - with the plate installed and the foot mounted on the adapter, the adapter cannot be mounted on (or unmounted from) the EOS M.  You need to loosen the knurled knob on foot - not the plate, just the foot, and just loose, no need to remove it.  With everything tightened, the plate doesn't quite clear the corner of the M.

I have a Kirk PZ-130 on mine right now.  It has a lip to prevent rotation that sticks out a little in the back, but it clears the camera by at least 1mm.  It's a little short (doesn't quite extend to the front) so I will probably be replacing it with something longer just to have more room to grip

It works.   :D  Of course, with a ballhead less robust than the RRS BH-55 LR, it's quite likely you'd see settling and drift with a front-heavy load like that (and carrying a more robust ballhead just save on the weight of the tripod collar likely isn't the best choice).

I didn't doubt that it would physically work.  I'm just not sure how far I trust the screws holding the adapter together.  And, I think I'd definitely be more comfortable using the Canon adapter than I would a knockoff.

Carrying extra weight into the back country is one thing.  Carrying a broken lens out is something else.

I haven't had my EOS-M on my 70-200 yet, but it has hung on the back of my 300/4.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:08:43 PM by schill »

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »
Although I put an arca plate on my M adapter playing around while waiting for my M to arrive, I really can't come up with a scenario where I would use the adapter's foot. Considering the weight of the M and the distance between the body tripod mount and the adapter mount (1.5"?), I think the adapter foot is superfluous. It's a very slight shift of the center of balance. Unless I'm missing something, I'll be using my lens collars.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:48:22 PM by brad-man »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
Although I put an arca plate on my M adapter playing around while waiting for my M to arrive, I really can't come up with a scenario where I would use the adapter's foot. Considering the weight of the M and the distance between the body tripod mount and the adapter mount (1.5"?), I think the adapter foot is superfluous. It's a very slight shift of the center of balance. Unless I'm missing something, I'll be using my lens collars.

What about EF and EF-S lenses without collars?  Canon does make a few of those...  ;)

I hear you about the balance, but what the adapter foot does is take the weight of the lens off the mount on the EOS M, which given it's smaller size is likely not as robust.  That's the reason Canon provides a collar for some lenses (to take some weight off the mount) and I suspect why there's a foot on the adapter.

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »

What about EF and EF-S lenses without collars?  Canon does make a few of those...  ;)

Well, the heaviest lens I have without an option to use a lens collar is my SP24-70VC. I simply use the camera mount. If the M is as robust as has been reported (mine arrives tomorrow), I will do the same. If I am not satisfied with the strength of the mount, then I most certainly will use the adapter's foot.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:05:05 PM by brad-man »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »

Well, the heaviest lens I have without an option to use a lens collar is my SP24-70VC. I simply use the camera mount. If the M is as robust as has been reported (mine arrives tomorrow), I will do the same with it. For the reasons stated above, I don't think that 1.5" will make much of a difference. This is of course speculation and I could be wrong, but it seems that way to me...

I'm not going to do that with my 85L II, for example...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »

Well, the heaviest lens I have without an option to use a lens collar is my SP24-70VC. I simply use the camera mount. If the M is as robust as has been reported (mine arrives tomorrow), I will do the same with it. For the reasons stated above, I don't think that 1.5" will make much of a difference. This is of course speculation and I could be wrong, but it seems that way to me...

I'm not going to do that with my 85L II, for example...

I have the most humble 1.8 and I'll do it all night long:)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 09:11:20 AM »
Try http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_32.

FYI, I don't have this, my M arrived today. Was thinking of the RRS L-plate, but it's big.  Your question reminded me of Hejnar's little plates, the 0.8" 3-hole plate without ridge looks like it would work.
So, I ordered one of these as a body plate for the EOS M, and it works very well.  It's small and low profile, and when attached to the tripod socket through the middle hole there's sufficient clearance for the battery door to open for card/battery access.  I miss the anti-twist feature of a dedicated plate, but I can live without it for the occasional use it will get.  If I were going to use the EOS M as a travel camera with EF-M lenses, I'd opt for a dedicated solution like RRS' very nice modular plate/L-bracket setup, but for me the EOS M is primarily a walkaround small substitute when I can't bring the dSLR, or a backup for travel.  Since the EF adapter has a tripod foot, I'll only rarely want to put the M directly on a tripod.  The Hejnar plate provides a nice (and inexpensive) option when I want to do so.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
I use the RRS R82 (lens foot plate) with my EOS M.  It's not designed for it (I use it on my 180mm macro), but works really well (it doesn't rotate) and - I think, leaves room to open the battery door.  I'll have to check. 

dcm

• Canon 70D
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 07:45:28 PM »
For anyone still interested, I stumbled on an alternative RRS lens plate to the B26, etc. for the EOS M adapter foot that overcomes the interference problem when an RRS camera plate is already on the M.  The MPR-73 allows you to flush the back of the adapter foot with the back of the lens plate, providing the necessary clearance to remove the adapter/lens combination without first removing the adapter foot or plate.  There is no room for the flange in this situation, but the flange screws alone still provide a bit of anti-twist support.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »
I read in another thread elsewhere that the Kirk PZ130 works well too and it does not interfere with opening the battery door either.

http://www.adorama.com/KIRPZ130.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_4137899

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »
I read in another thread elsewhere that the Kirk PZ130 works well too and it does not interfere with opening the battery door either.

http://www.adorama.com/KIRPZ130.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_4137899

I use that plate on an Olympus PEN and agree that is probably a good bet. It has a low back lip to prevent twisting and the screw can be moved between 3 slots to accommodate different tripod socket positions, so it's quite generic for P&S and small mirrorless cameras.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
Hi all,

My EOS M will be arriving in a day or two, and I'd like to get it paired properly with a small, arca swiss compatible plate that doesn't extend way past the body (like a typical DSLR plate would on the M)

Any one out there happy with the one they are using?  I'd like to keep it semi permanently attached to the camera, so not blocking the battery door is a must.

Thanks!

Dear BL
Here is another option that fit your EOS-M need for both additional grip and  Arca-Swiss Plate---And Cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Release-L-Plate-Arca-Swiss-Standard/dp/B00K1W7BYK

Enjoy
Surapon

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
Hi all,

My EOS M will be arriving in a day or two, and I'd like to get it paired properly with a small, arca swiss compatible plate that doesn't extend way past the body (like a typical DSLR plate would on the M)

Any one out there happy with the one they are using?  I'd like to keep it semi permanently attached to the camera, so not blocking the battery door is a must.

Thanks!

Dear BL
Here is another option that fit your EOS-M need for both additional grip and  Arca-Swiss Plate---And Cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Release-L-Plate-Arca-Swiss-Standard/dp/B00K1W7BYK

Enjoy
Surapon

Surapon:

Do you have one of these?  Looks good because adds the grip to the Arca plate.  But it doesn't clamp in Portrait orientation, just Landscape?  Any interference when adding the adapter with foot attached?

Thanks, DPP
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »