August 29, 2014, 12:06:40 PM

Author Topic: EOS-M Optical Viewfinder  (Read 8596 times)

thejager

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
EOS-M Optical Viewfinder
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
So...i pulled the trigger on this little guy after the price dropped and i saw the new firmware came out. While i'd love a new one whenever they come out, the price won't be the same as  the sale version, and it seems a solid camera for the price point. adding the eos M adapter for other EF lenses is just icing.

Nevertheless, i dont mind that it doesn't have a flash, but not having an optical viewfinder is a bit worrisome to me. I have looked around a bit, but everything that i seem to find (i got the 22mm lens so 35mm equivalent OV), is crazy expensive. Not that the prices arent deserved, but i really dont want to drop 200 for an optical viewfinder.

So i come to this forum, and ask if anyone has any suggestions (links woudl be great).  I dont need a beautiful piece of glass, but i woudl like to be able to look through something instead of looking at the back of the screen.

So, anyways... help me canon rumors forum gurus...you're my only hope :P

this is my first post...so i guess i should also say hi!

canon rumors FORUM

EOS-M Optical Viewfinder
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-M Optical Viewfinder
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:22:51 AM »
I don't believe there is an optical viewfinder option available for the EOS M. Rumor is that the next version of the EOS M will have a viewfinder option. If so, it may be backwards compatible. It would be to Canon's benefit to make it backwards compatible, if possible, just for the sake of selling more of them, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

For what it's worth... I received my EOS M today so I haven't used it much, but I will say that the LCD screen was much easier to view in sunlight than any of the LCD's on other EOS bodies that I have used (T2i, 60D, 7D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III).

thejager

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:42 AM »
yeah.... nevertheless, i have seen hotshot optical viewfinder out there... they are just so darned expensive! :)

35mm equivalent (for the 22m lens)...i dunno...i just figured there woudl be something somewhat affordable that someone on here may have

i shoudl get mine tomorrow, so ill mayeb not need it if the screen is enough, im just so used to a viewfinder that id hope to find something

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28:24 AM »
I haven't received my M yet, its due to deliver tomorrow.  I think I can get by without an optical viewfinder if the LCD and touch controls are as good as claimed.  What I don't want is a crappy little, dim viewfinder like on the G series Powershots, those are awful!
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

thejager

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »
yeah..i get that, i guess i am just so used to framing my scene by looking through one...

i hope to hear lots of good feedback in the next week or so as more people get M's in their hands!

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:34:42 AM »
FYI: I also ordered a glass screen protector for my LCD. I don't know, if I will use it. I have seen spotty reports that the LCD has Gorilla Glass, but can't seem to find anything official.

I won't use the protector, if I can confirm the LCD has Gorilla Glass or some other form of sufficiently hardened glass. Adding the protector could potentially increase the glare and therefore visibility of the LCD, but then so could scratches.

Other than a few forum entries, I can only find one site "versus.com" that states the EOS M has Gorilla Glass. I would like to find confirmation on a few other reputable sites or some sort of official statement from Canon.

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
yeah..i get that, i guess i am just so used to framing my scene by looking through one...

i hope to hear lots of good feedback in the next week or so as more people get M's in their hands!

The one I bought was for my wife. I got the 22mm f2 lens. So far, my wife hasn't got to use it much as I have been messing with it all afternoon. Compared with the other EOS bodies and L-Glass that I have, the image quality is nothing special, but it's still very good and there is something exciting about getting that level of quality out of something so small and portable and for such a low price.

I'm thinking that my wife's EOS M will be spending a lot of time in my camera bag, as a third body. :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »

yakman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's blog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:29:11 AM »
Usable hotshoe 35mm OVF starts from 50USD for a Soviet era stuff to xxxUSD for Leica.
EOS 70D 18-55 STM IS/ Sigma 50 F1.4/ 70-200 F4L IS/ 580EX II
EOS M 11-22 STM IS/ 18-55 STM IS/ 22 F2/ 40 2.8/ 90EX/ EF EOS-M adaptor
http://vincent4wang.wordpress.com

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:35:12 AM »
I recollect reading that Ivan Muller (one of the CR forum members) uses the Leica X1 Brightline Finder for Leica X1 Compact Digital Camera (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659183-USA/Leica_18707_X1_Brightline_Finder_for.html)  on his EOS-M ... but it costs $290
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
The problem with third party optical viewfinders is that the view you see on them is not linked to the actual view of the current lens on the camera.  Its possible that you will find something close or that you can mask one off to match your lens as long as its not a zoom, or you don't change it.
Parallax is also a issue for add-on optical viewfinders.  As much as I hate electronic viewfinders, optical ones that are not TTL are worse.  That was one of the big issues that made film SLR's so popular, a photographer could finally see the scene he was capturing rather than cutting part of the image off and only discovering it after his film was developed.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
The problem with third party optical viewfinders is that the view you see on them is not linked to the actual view of the current lens on the camera.  Its possible that you will find something close or that you can mask one off to match your lens as long as its not a zoom, or you don't change it.
Parallax is also a issue for add-on optical viewfinders.  As much as I hate electronic viewfinders, optical ones that are not TTL are worse.  That was one of the big issues that made film SLR's so popular, a photographer could finally see the scene he was capturing rather than cutting part of the image off and only discovering it after his film was developed.

Parallax, very much. I've gotten into film rangefinders (they fold right up, so handy!), but they are rangefinder, and fixed focal length and I'm having to learn how to adjust my framing for parallax at different focusing distances. The problem gets worse the closer up the subject(s) are. It's a fun hobby though :)
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

thejager

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
i dont mind not having a reading inside it...i use it just for framing mostly.

the expensive Leica and Voigltander ones are nice but i cant drop 200-300 on just a viewfinder

i haev seen some on Ebay...but they look questionable

smozes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »
FYI: I also ordered a glass screen protector for my LCD. I don't know, if I will use it. I have seen spotty reports that the LCD has Gorilla Glass, but can't seem to find anything official.

I won't use the protector, if I can confirm the LCD has Gorilla Glass or some other form of sufficiently hardened glass. Adding the protector could potentially increase the glare and therefore visibility of the LCD, but then so could scratches.

Other than a few forum entries, I can only find one site "versus.com" that states the EOS M has Gorilla Glass. I would like to find confirmation on a few other reputable sites or some sort of official statement from Canon.

The manual specifically advises against using a screen protector.

From past experience, I stopped using them. The plastic films always get scratched eventually, and add a layer of distortion.
EOS-M + 22mm, EF 50 1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »

Cb33

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »

The manual specifically advises against using a screen protector.

From past experience, I stopped using them. The plastic films always get scratched eventually, and add a layer of distortion.

It's a glass one though, not plastic. Eos650, I'd be interested to hear how you like the glass screen protector if you decide to use it. I'm concerned it may cause extra glare.

Is it perhaps this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7LV7H0?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:42:51 AM »
here is mine with the Leica OVF...have you tried looking for a 2nd hand one? Voigtlander makes one and I think even Panasonic or Ricoh might have...but not quite sure on that one. Problem with Leica X1 finder is that its all plastic on the outside and a bit of a dust trap. Definitely not as well build as the Eos M! Fortunately dust is not generally visible and of course it doesn't affect the images, but at that price I would have expected a LOT more. Have a look at my blog for some more images etc....http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:42:51 AM »