July 28, 2014, 11:15:10 AM

Author Topic: Debranding a 5DIII  (Read 8533 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: Debranding a 5DIII
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
It looks clean but I'd really like to do a set of L Series "big white whales" like this one.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1214644/0?keyword=canon,200#11570912

I got a silly question, why are canon lens even painted in white? is it to keep them cool when out in the wild or in safari's. I know wearing a white t-shirt repels heat from the body, so im assuming that this will do the same for lenses? is this so with those white lenses of today? thanks.

The larger Canon lenses that have a fluorite element are painted white.  Fluorite is very sensitive to heat.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
I plan to sell & upgrade my 5D III in future, I'm not sure this is a good idea. It looks cool though ;)

Yeah that's definitely a smart argument against doing it....  I think I'd be willing to risk it though.
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
The closest I've come to doing this is to put black gaffer tape over logos and other labels.  This was not for style or to prevent theft, etc., but to avoid reflections when the camera was close to a window.  I didn't want to have pictures/video with a ghost out-of-focus "Canon" floating in them.  The black camera doesn't show up but the logos do.

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 06:39:15 PM »
The closest I've come to doing this is to put black gaffer tape over logos and other labels.  This was not for style or to prevent theft, etc., but to avoid reflections when the camera was close to a window.  I didn't want to have pictures/video with a ghost out-of-focus "Canon" floating in them.  The black camera doesn't show up but the logos do.

BEWARE the ghost camera!  Mwahahaha!   ;D

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
I plan to sell & upgrade my 5D III in future, I'm not sure this is a good idea. It looks cool though ;)

Yeah that's definitely a smart argument against doing it....  I think I'd be willing to risk it though.

Look forward to see some before and after photos. Enjoy :)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

eosphoros

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Wrap a LenSkins around the big white and a neoprene cover (various brands) on the body. Go camo, it's cool.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »

eosphoros

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
LensCoat Lens Cover for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Lens (Realtree Max4 HD)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465881-REG/LensCoat_LC70200M4_Lens_Cover_for_Canon.html

LensSkins Lens Wrap for Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (Black and White Smoke)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/814291-REG/LensSkins_LS_C70200X1BS_Lens_Wrap_for_Canon.html

neni

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
Sometimes this is done in advertisements where the camera itself is not the object of interest. Might be photoshop work tough.

True, I've debranded my fair share of things in photoshop, working in the advertising world.  There are a few semi-"practical" reasons why I'd like to have my camera like this in real life... but mainly for my own satisfaction to be honest.

From a somewhat theoretical standpoint:  I definitely believe that gear branding DOES effect your personal brand.  Whether someone is judging your use of one lens/body/brand over another... speculating about how much your gear must have cost you... discrediting your photos as merely a result of the luxury of having fancy gear, etc.  I feel like even if someone still recognizes the body as a Canon, it still sends the subtle message that "it doesn't matter", or more importantly "it doesnt matter to me"

Plus looks like Batman

The reasons stated make sense, at least up to a certain extent or/and under certain conditions. But I'm still laughing with the Batman thing. The best reason for debranding any sort of black camera body, ever!  ;D  ;D  ;D

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

MrFotoFool

• EOS M2
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Snug it?
http://delkin.com/c-147094-protect-snug-it-pro.html

Unfortunately, they cut a hole in the top so the name plate still shows through.

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:35 PM »
The reasons stated make sense, at least up to a certain extent or/and under certain conditions. But I'm still laughing with the Batman thing. The best reason for debranding any sort of black camera body, ever!  ;D  ;D  ;D

lol

Here is what I did with my 5D3
Ref
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15579.msg284306#msg284306

That looks cool.  Covers the practical needs for doing it... the texture of gaffer tape seems to match the finish of the body pretty closely.

RendrLab

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »
Get in touch with a trophy shop and see if they can get matte flexibrass material. It's usually gold/silver/bronze in color and used for trophies and such (hence the usual colors) but the manufacturers of the material (Rowmark & others) do have a lot of material choices (including matte) and they all can easily be laser cut to the shapes you need. Flexibrass has minimal thickness with 3M adhesive backing.
I had done the same thing while in the sign industry, only I used contour cut vehicle wrap vinyl that was printed to match the texture on my camera. A couple of little laser cut pieces of flexi is at most a couple of bucks.
In my opinion, the trophy shop is the much better choice. It may be best for you to do all the design work as most trophy shops do not employ designers that actually know how to take a photo and draw to scale from it.
It looks like you're proficient enough in Photoshop to accomplish this yourself, but let me know if you need any help  with any part of it, as I now work with flexibrass and plastic on a daily basis engraving & cutting with a CO2 laser.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »
I cannot see any reason why we should debrand the equipment. People knows the equipment can still guess what they are. As for thieves or robber, they see a big lens and  big camera, they know it is a good target. so why go through the trouble? Before the maturing of DSLR, my Leica M4 and  3 lenses travel to Europe, Asia etc with me. I have never  have any  problem. I do not even use the "never-ready case".

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »
Get in touch with a trophy shop and see if they can get matte flexibrass material. It's usually gold/silver/bronze in color and used for trophies and such (hence the usual colors) but the manufacturers of the material (Rowmark & others) do have a lot of material choices (including matte) and they all can easily be laser cut to the shapes you need. Flexibrass has minimal thickness with 3M adhesive backing.
I had done the same thing while in the sign industry, only I used contour cut vehicle wrap vinyl that was printed to match the texture on my camera. A couple of little laser cut pieces of flexi is at most a couple of bucks.
In my opinion, the trophy shop is the much better choice. It may be best for you to do all the design work as most trophy shops do not employ designers that actually know how to take a photo and draw to scale from it.
It looks like you're proficient enough in Photoshop to accomplish this yourself, but let me know if you need any help  with any part of it, as I now work with flexibrass and plastic on a daily basis engraving & cutting with a CO2 laser.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what youre suggesting.  And I'm not sure laser cutting anything would be necessary (unless I'm misinterpretting you).  But I'm guessing that would leave a super fine edge (if the edge shows at all) tracing the Canon logo?

I cannot see any reason why we should debrand the equipment. People knows the equipment can still guess what they are. As for thieves or robber, they see a big lens and  big camera, they know it is a good target. so why go through the trouble? Before the maturing of DSLR, my Leica M4 and  3 lenses travel to Europe, Asia etc with me. I have never  have any  problem. I do not even use the "never-ready case".

If you read beyond the title of the thread, you will see that I am not suggesting that others debrand their cameras... Just for advice/info on going about doing it.  I even admit it's probably stupid.  I completely understand that you (and most people) would probably never want to attempt it, and don't blame you

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »