October 24, 2014, 12:54:52 PM

Author Topic: Just got my EOS-M! First impressions...  (Read 11720 times)

KevinB

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my EOS-M! First impressions...
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
I agree with your observations, I was in the market for a smaller camera tried the Panny G5 (felt very cheap) as for the M small for sure but feel solid. I am very impressed with the image quality as good as the 7d, I did order the adapter to use my 70-200 with it !! that will look like a large mount cap on it :).. So far I like it a lot !!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
@tiger82 - what's up with that hood on the 70-200/2.8?  Hope you know it's too short to be of any real optical benefit...

I think it's one of those rubber hoods that can 'pop out' to a hood, or folded back. I've wondered how those are in use.

I occasionally use a rubber hood on my 70-200/2.8, but when I do it's never extended - it's always as "short" as possible. I've only ever used it as a bumper on the lens when I wanted to get the front element as close to a window or (chain link) fence as I could.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
I think the EOS M may actually produce better image quality than the 7d, YES I WENT THERE!!! Whether thats because of better sensor or digic 5, I don't care, the images may just be better!

I think there's an improvement at high ISO. I'm really impressed with what I'm getting at 3200 and 6400.

another issue is that quick manual focus is near impossible, you have to spin the focus ring like 1000 times..

I would pay Canon another $100 right now to download a firmware release with these changes:

* Focus peaking.
* SHORT MF throw. Doing street photography I should be able to focus with a single twist.
* Touch to AF.
* C.Fn to move AF off the shutter and onto the record button (which sits useless in stills mode).
* Add distance / DoF info to the screen. If I choose f/8 and focus on something, show me on screen the DoF distances.

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
I think the EOS M may actually produce better image quality than the 7d, YES I WENT THERE!!! Whether thats because of better sensor or digic 5, I don't care, the images may just be better!

I think there's an improvement at high ISO. I'm really impressed with what I'm getting at 3200 and 6400.

another issue is that quick manual focus is near impossible, you have to spin the focus ring like 1000 times..

I would pay Canon another $100 right now to download a firmware release with these changes:

* Focus peaking.
* SHORT MF throw. Doing street photography I should be able to focus with a single twist.
* Touch to AF.
* C.Fn to move AF off the shutter and onto the record button (which sits useless in stills mode).
* Add distance / DoF info to the screen. If I choose f/8 and focus on something, show me on screen the DoF distances.

Does enabling "Continuous AF" in the current firmware accomplish what you want to do with "Touch to AF"?

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
Does enabling "Continuous AF" in the current firmware accomplish what you want to do with "Touch to AF"?

Not exactly, but it's a compromise I'll explore next time I'm out.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
Being skeptical, I thought all those armchair reviewers with high expectations has created enough hysteria to hurt sales resulting in great camera being sold at $300.
Upon using it for 15 minutes, here is my first impression:

Situations where this camera (+ 22 f/2) is awesome:
Combination of Small form + Low light + patience

For people buying it as a sole high quality camera:
Bound to be frustrated (esp. if shooting RAW) due to shot capture time and time between shots. iPhone 5 is way better in this regard than EOS M.
See, missed moment = no shot
so low quality iphone shot is better than no shot.
And you WILL miss shots with this.

For people buying as a backup:
Even if you got $300 deal, you will need to plunk couple 100's for accessories to be able to make it usable to the level that you have 1 shot every 3-5 seconds or more!!!!
Much better to buy a used 60D instead.
Now, I am not going to bother to spend any dime on accessories at all.
IMO, its oxymoron, as with anything except pancake M lenses, you loose for form factor. So what are you achieving by plunking $$$, a seriously crippled 70D alternative for same price and form?

Am I happy with my purchase:
Absolutely YES. It can create some great images for certain types of photography or if you have patience and time. While you will miss some images, its still better as
no camera = no images and this is definitely daily pocket/bag-able.
That said if I require speed I am likely to reach for iphone rather than risk with this.
I would be really furious if I had bought it at full price. So, its easy to understand why this thing did not sell.
IMO, Canon should fire the the person who approved the premature marketing of this product resulting in dent in brand image. Its not ready even now! EOS M II should have been a launch version!!!

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
Even if you got $300 deal, you will need to plunk couple 100's for accessories to be able to make it usable to the level that you have 1 shot every 3-5 seconds or more!!!!
IMO, its oxymoron, as with anything except pancake M lenses, you loose for form factor. So what are you achieving by plunking $$$, a seriously crippled 70D alternative for same price and form?

While it may required the extra purchase of the EOS-M/EF adapter (not a couple hundred, by the way, but a substantial cost), the EOS-M fits some people's idea of a backup very well where a 60D would not.

If I'm carrying my 7D and several lenses already, it is much easier for me to toss an EOS-M in my bag (with adapter) than it is to carry a 60D.  It is a smaller camera.

Backup in this case answers the question "what is small enough to carry with me that allows me to still use my lenses if something happens to my 7D."  I can carry an EOS-M and adapter with me more easily than a 60D.

To paraphrase from the "the best camera is the one you have with you" crowd, the "best backup is the one you have with you."  For me, a 60D would not fit that criteria.

To counter the above statement, however, I do consider the SL1 to be acceptable in the same capacity.  I have carried both the EOS-M and SL1 as a second body.  Both are small and light.

As a second body, and not technically a backup, I also find it useful to carry one of these in addition to the 7D so that I can have two different configurations set up.  For example, I have on numerous occasions used one body to shoot video from a tripod while I am free to shoot stills with the other body (you can hear my mirror/shutter noises on the video but that's not a problem for my use).  Again, they are much easier to carry.

We always need to remember that things like backup do not mean the same thing to everyone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
Being skeptical, I thought all those armchair reviewers with high expectations has created enough hysteria to hurt sales resulting in great camera being sold at $300.
Upon using it for 15 minutes, here is my first impression:

Situations where this camera (+ 22 f/2) is awesome:
Combination of Small form + Low light + patience

Bound to be frustrated (esp. if shooting RAW) due to shot capture time and time between shots. iPhone 5 is way better in this regard than EOS M.

Am I happy with my purchase:
Absolutely YES. It can create some great images for certain types of photography or if you have patience and time. While you will miss some images, its still better as
no camera = no images and this is definitely daily pocket/bag-able.
That said if I require speed I am likely to reach for iphone rather than risk with this.
I would be really furious if I had bought it at full price. So, its easy to understand why this thing did not sell.
IMO, Canon should fire the the person who approved the premature marketing of this product resulting in dent in brand image. Its not ready even now! EOS M II should have been a launch version!!!

I likely won't ever be reaching for my iPhone (5 as well) when this camera is with me. I get 6-7 frames in RAW @ 4fps in continuous mode before it slows down - that's not enough for a small camera like this? I've been frustrated with the AF/metering/etc significantly more with my iPhone than I will be with the M.

The only thing that has really frustrated me with this camera (post firmware update) is the slow frame rate in servo mode, but now I know to take one of the other cameras when I need to fire off several shots with AF in between. Otherwise, I couldn't be more happy with the purchase.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:27:32 PM by Swphoto »

Jens

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Jens Kristian Balle // Photographer
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Just got mine as well with the 22, love the lens, touch display and not to mention the image quality. Put up our fuji x20 for sale, wouldn't need that anymore, the canon is even smaller than the fuji.

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »

I likely won't ever be reaching for my iPhone (5 as well) when this camera is with me. I get 6-7 frames in RAW @ 4fps in continuous mode before it slows down - that's not enough for a small camera like this? I've been frustrated with the AF/metering/etc significantly more with my iPhone than I will be with the M.

I also have an iPhone 5 and it certainly does not compare as a camera to the EOS-M.  As SWPhoto pointed out, the M's can hit 4 fps while the iPhone is capable of 2-4fps for short burst.  I did a quick test with my phone and the camera and the fps seems to be roughly the same, maybe a slight edge to the M.

Regarding IQ, the iPhone's camera sensor is 4.5mm x 3.4mm while the M's APS-C sensor is 23.4mm x 15.6mm, 24 times larger in area!

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the EOS-M in the two days I've had it.  With the firmware upgrade the AF is OK and I like its small form factor with the 22mm lens.  I think Canon messed up by not waiting to release the camera until it had the firmware AF corrected and its initial price point was too high.  If they had handled the marketing better, it would not have received the negative press it did when released.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

samkatz

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Like some other posters, I'm seeing this "impulse purchase" more as a substitute for my cellphone camera, or a 2nd camera+ short lens to take with me for a landscape shot or snapshot when I have my heavy telephoto oriented kit.   So it's not a true "back up" because I'd struggle with all the menus, buttons and lack of viewfinder for "serious" shooting.  I must say that I;m 100% pleased w/the IQ I got shooting some RAW images outside on an overcast day today.

A couple little things to get used to: The shutter trigger is very light.  I think I;m just locking focus by pressing part way on shutter release, but wind up taking a photo.

Touch to focus either not working or it's a not possible
... I could swear I was doing it at one point.   You can move the focus point around by touch and in focuses in and out if "continuous focus " is set, but not lock.    YOu can use setting to "shutter release by touch"... but not just get the green focus lock.  Am I getting this right?

I need to experiment w/my Sunpak RD 2000c small flash more.  I thought i'd save a lot of $$ over the Canon (Sunpak was 35.00), but the coverage(width) isn't equal to the lens...i've only done some shots of my living room, need to try it on some portraits group shots..
If anyone has sprung for the Canon flash, pls comment

I didn't want to spend much on accessories before seeing if this was a keeper.  Right now, I'd consider the 18-55 ES-M STM, but not at over $200. 

TX

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
Just came from Amazon's camera page. The EOS M + 22mm is the #1 best selling compact camera, and the EOS M + 18-55mm is #2. I wonder why?  ;D

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

If anyone has sprung for the Canon flash, pls comment

I just purchased an M in the $299 B&H sale.  I already owned the little Canon 90EX speedlite and its works fine on the M.  I like to avoid using direct, on-camera flash, so thus far I've only used it a few times as fill flash for some backlit portraits.

I bought the 90EX several months ago to use on my 6D as an optical master for my 430EXII located off-camera.  Its works great for that.  The 90EX does not pivot or rotate, so you really can't use it to bounce flash off walls or ceilings - I'll use my 430EXII for that.  This weekend I'll try the 90EX as an optical master on the EOS-M and see how it works. 
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

tcmatthews

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
First real pictures I have to admit this was the closest tourist thing around to do and there is not much else to take pictures of around here.  It being flat and all.  (At lease not much the public can get to.  ;) )

6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »

I likely won't ever be reaching for my iPhone (5 as well) when this camera is with me.

I also have an iPhone 5 and it certainly does not compare as a camera to the EOS-M. 
Both of you need to read my post again.  For sake of time and sanity I am not going to explain to you that 4fps does not compensate for long lag time between the shots and enable capture something at the very exact moment you want.
I did not/am not saying that iPhone is better than M (or compare them; it will be foolish to say/do so). Also note that I am happy with my purchase as well as image quality of M. I also said that for still objects or landscapes it works very well and none of what I say about speed is applicable. My comments are applicable to situations like:
1) Your kid doing something cute which you want to capture almost instantly.
2) Some event/occurance you saw while driving or stopped at light (as a passenger of course) that you want to record instantly.
Also, I am not saying that you will get no photo. Just that your abilities will be limited and you might miss that moment all together. And I am not saying anything new. It is universally accepted that this camera is kind of slow.
Don't get fixated on pixel density and fps and all and swear that you would never touch iPhone. There will be time when it will be faster (note faster is not equal to better) for you to whip iPhone to take a shot while accessing M, switching on and fumbling with its quirks will actually miss the moment. Remember, how apple bypasses even lock so that you can shoot almost instantly (even my 1 yr old figured out how to do it, which is a huge problem as I am tired of deleting random photos from my phone :-). For those moments and and others when you have nothing else, iPhone is not bad camera. Provided you are talking about photography as an art or tool to capture beautiful moments and not a scientific project of resolution and sharpness. Don't dismiss any tool, however small or insignificant it may look to you....

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:12:18 PM by comsense »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »