August 28, 2014, 07:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Just got my EOS-M! First impressions...  (Read 10887 times)

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my EOS-M! First impressions...
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
Both of you need to read my post again...

I did not/am not saying that iPhone is better than M (or compare them...

you can shoot almost instantly.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point.  I agree that there are times the iPhone is more accessible (its always in my pocket) and can shoot with no set-up.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
Both of you need to read my post again.  For sake of time and sanity I am not going to explain to you that 4fps does not compensate for long lag time between the shots and enable capture something at the very exact moment you want.

I spent 3 hours shooting street the first night I got my M. Capturing the moment I wanted just involved pre-focusing and holding the shutter half way until the moment came. No different from capturing the moment with an all manual camera. If you're focused there's hardly any release lag.

You might miss a true surprise moment due to AF. But then again, you will with most cameras. I had one such moment that night (a kid running by me) and I would have needed my 7D to nail it.

I do wish Canon would make this easier on us with some additional options. Let me AF off the record button. And touch to focus (instead of touch to shoot). Make manual focusing useful (peaking + much shorter throw). And give me a DoF distance scale on screen. Give us that and the "moment" argument is completely moot.

Even without that, you can work with the camera and be ready.

1) Your kid doing something cute which you want to capture almost instantly.

I'm not going to lie and claim that the M is ideal for tracking kids running around. Neither is the iPhone, most P&S bodies, or a lot of mirrorless bodies. Kids can be as challenging as sports so grab a sports orientated DSLR for kids.

When kids are sitting down and being cute, I see no reason why you can't anticipate and capture the peak moment with the M. If I can do it with a street drummer....

2) Some event/occurance you saw while driving or stopped at light (as a passenger of course) that you want to record instantly.

You have a lot of those that are over and done with in the time it takes the M to AF? I know there's a lag, but come on....

Don't get fixated on pixel density and fps and all and swear that you would never touch iPhone. There will be time when it will be faster (note faster is not equal to better) for you to whip iPhone to take a shot while accessing M, switching on and fumbling with its quirks will actually miss the moment.

Playing right now at my desk...my iPhone has more AF/release lag then my M. On the M I'm using single point AF with the 22mm f/2. Haven't even really tried the others. Perhaps you're seeing more lag with the other modes?

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 03:35:13 AM »
Both of you need to read my post again.  For sake of time and sanity I am not going to explain to you that 4fps does not compensate for long lag time between the shots and enable capture something at the very exact moment you want.

I spent 3 hours shooting street the first night I got my M. Capturing the moment I wanted just involved pre-focusing and holding the shutter half way until the moment came. No different from capturing the moment with an all manual camera. If you're focused there's hardly any release lag.

You might miss a true surprise moment due to AF. But then again, you will with most cameras. I had one such moment that night (a kid running by me) and I would have needed my 7D to nail it.

I do wish Canon would make this easier on us with some additional options. Let me AF off the record button. And touch to focus (instead of touch to shoot). Make manual focusing useful (peaking + much shorter throw). And give me a DoF distance scale on screen. Give us that and the "moment" argument is completely moot.

Even without that, you can work with the camera and be ready.

1) Your kid doing something cute which you want to capture almost instantly.

I'm not going to lie and claim that the M is ideal for tracking kids running around. Neither is the iPhone, most P&S bodies, or a lot of mirrorless bodies. Kids can be as challenging as sports so grab a sports orientated DSLR for kids.

When kids are sitting down and being cute, I see no reason why you can't anticipate and capture the peak moment with the M. If I can do it with a street drummer....

2) Some event/occurance you saw while driving or stopped at light (as a passenger of course) that you want to record instantly.

You have a lot of those that are over and done with in the time it takes the M to AF? I know there's a lag, but come on....

Don't get fixated on pixel density and fps and all and swear that you would never touch iPhone. There will be time when it will be faster (note faster is not equal to better) for you to whip iPhone to take a shot while accessing M, switching on and fumbling with its quirks will actually miss the moment.

Playing right now at my desk...my iPhone has more AF/release lag then my M. On the M I'm using single point AF with the 22mm f/2. Haven't even really tried the others. Perhaps you're seeing more lag with the other modes?
Its good that it works for your personal style and photography needs. No one can argue with that. But that does not make the camera responsive/faster if others need it that way.
I like to watch my frame constantly and click at right moment. Sometime I want to click again after a sec because scene changed for better, but I find M unresponsive. (esp when shooting RAW). My kid changes the face expression by the time this focuses and captures the shot (not always but annoyingly more than I want). I like the camera otherwise. Since, I am not a fanatic fanboy, I am open to reasonable criticism.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 05:22:10 AM »
The M is good. Arguing over which has less shutter lag when you need to shoot fast action, the iPhone or the M, is like debating how well an Accord vs. a Camry will do in the Indy 500.  In terms of shutter lag, neither is anywhere close to a 1D X, but that's ok because my 1D X is a 1D X - if I need that responsiveness, I know where to get it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »
The M is good. Arguing over which has less shutter lag when you need to shoot fast action, the iPhone or the M, is like debating how well an Accord vs. a Camry will do in the Indy 500.  In terms of shutter lag, neither is anywhere close to a 1D X, but that's ok because my 1D X is a 1D X - if I need that responsiveness, I know where to get it.

+1. Well said
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:03 AM »
Its good that it works for your personal style and photography needs. No one can argue with that. But that does not make the camera responsive/faster if others need it that way.
I like to watch my frame constantly and click at right moment.

I had no problem doing that with the M the other night. Again, I was pre-focusing. I consider that a valuable technique even with a 7D. I wish Canon would give us a firmware update to support more pre-focus / manual focus options. But what's there is usable.

Sometime I want to click again after a sec because scene changed for better, but I find M unresponsive. (esp when shooting RAW).

Black out time is a critique I've made myself. Not sure why it's so high. Moving AF off the shutter helps because AF won't engage for the next shot.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
Oh boy, people do like to argue here tirelessly and most of the time pointlessly...
Despite my clarifying that M is good (esp for 300 bucks) and I am NOT comparing it with iphone the debate still rages on. Let me try one last time:
M is a good camera and can take good photos. However, it does not meet MY reasonable expectations of a product in this class. And neuro thanks for your useful post but I am not expecting M to perform like 1DX.
Rather, you gave me a good clue. I was confused between 5DIII and 1DX (I can easily afford 1DX so money is not the factor). But after comparing the specs, I came to conclusion that for me extra cash spent on 1DX is not getting me anything that is important for what I shoot. And I am really happy with 5DIII. It met all my reasonable expectations 100%. I have no complains about it being overpriced or I should have got 1DX functions with it or GPS/WiFi etc etc.
Even though M was sold at $4-500 range, my $4-500 expectations were not met.
So all I was saying is that my 'Camry' is guzzling gas like 'Hummer' not that I expect it to be 'Prius'!!!!
And before someone else comes and says that is is a great camera and can take good pictures, I am saying in advance, I agree. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »