October 25, 2014, 07:22:39 PM

Author Topic: EF-M to EF Adapter Now Special Order  (Read 4594 times)

neech7

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EF-M to EF Adapter Now Special Order
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
2. Some of us bought the M for use as a big sensor, pocketable point and shoot. Last thing we want is to slap on an adaptor, and then slap on a big hunk of glass and metal in front of that.

Some of us bought the M for use as a very small backup body to bring along in case the primary dSLR fails, and for that use the adapter is required.

But I do agree - for general use, I have no intention of putting the M+adatper behind my 24-70 II, 70-200 II, or 600 II (well, maybe that last combo one time as a novelty!).  For general use, a wider selection of EF-M lenses is needed (personally, I'd like to see a 50-1xx telezoom, in addition to more pancakes).

I don't presume to know how each of us is going to use the M. I was just refuting his statement that ALL of us who bought the M is going to need/want the adaptor. I didn't get one, I'm not sure if I will any time soon.

And actually, I am waiting to see if Canon or Metabones will release a EF to EF-M speedbooster/FL reducer. Such a product will actually do away with the need for the regular adaptor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
And actually, I am waiting to see if Canon or Metabones will release a EF to EF-M speedbooster/FL reducer. Such a product will actually do away with the need for the regular adaptor.

If this rumour is anything to go by http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/07/the-next-eos-m-cameras-cr1/

Also in development is a focal length reducer for EF lenses, this will be announced with the 20mp EOS M camera.

I would like an M as it'd be a brilliant option for a second body while out climbing though I'll probably hold off until a new generation comes out with the 70D sensor and its better AF even though I don't think the current AF seems too shabby.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
2. Some of us bought the M for use as a big sensor, pocketable point and shoot. Last thing we want is to slap on an adaptor, and then slap on a big hunk of glass and metal in front of that.

Some of us bought the M for use as a very small backup body to bring along in case the primary dSLR fails, and for that use the adapter is required.

But I do agree - for general use, I have no intention of putting the M+adatper behind my 24-70 II, 70-200 II, or 600 II (well, maybe that last combo one time as a novelty!).  For general use, a wider selection of EF-M lenses is needed (personally, I'd like to see a 50-1xx telezoom, in addition to more pancakes).

My wish list for Canon pancake lenses:
1. 60mm macro lens - be able to focus 1-2" from tiny subject
2. 10mm or 12mm prime
3. 35 or 50 prime
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

nolken

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
Interestingly, it lists for $190 instead of the $150 it was a few days ago.
I guess they are partially covering for their "losses" on their recent EOS-M price of $299 ... I bet a lot of Canon dslr users have bought the EOS-M at $299 and I bet they would all want to use their existing EF/EF-S lenses with their newly acquired EOS-M ... Best time for them to sell the adapter at a higher price ... Smart marketing... I am sure they will sell like hot cakes.

Makes sense. Amazon price is creeping up, too.
Not only that, but there are probably going to be many returns on the camera. Many people are buying the camera for $299 just because of the price. They then may decide they don't need/want the camera and return it. If they buy a non-returnable accessory, they will be less likely to return the camera. Maybe this is their way of minimizing returns.

nolken

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
I ordered the camera from Amazon. The expected ship date is 1-3 months, so I was able to lock in the price while still allowing plenty of time to see how the market fares in the upcoming months. This will also allow for more time to see whether or not they're going to be releasing a successor in the near future and whether or not it will be worth the extra cost.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »
I ordered the camera from Amazon. The expected ship date is 1-3 months, so I was able to lock in the price while still allowing plenty of time to see how the market fares in the upcoming months. This will also allow for more time to see whether or not they're going to be releasing a successor in the near future and whether or not it will be worth the extra cost.

Just be aware that Amazon has been known to cancel existing orders if there is a significant price change.  That's what they did to those who pre-ordered the new supertele lenses, when Canon raised prices by $1000 between announcement and release.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

I don't presume to know how each of us is going to use the M. I was just refuting his statement that ALL of us who bought the M is going to need/want the adaptor. I didn't get one, I'm not sure if I will any time soon.

I agree that "ALL" is an incorrect word to use, so I hereby irrevocably retract that word and replace it with the word "most"  ;D
But seriously, I bought EOS-M + 22mm with the adapter bundle, and other than testing I never used the adapter for any kind of serious image making  ... However, I know that having that adapter is kinda like an insurance, just in case something goes wrong and I have a backup readily available ... especially when the adapter can easily be tucked away in some corner of my camera bag ... I think many DSLR users probably feel the same way ... in some way the adapter gives the opportunity for many photographers an excuse to have a backup system which they would otherwise probably never consider ... I think most photographers are gear junkies and they like collecting things "for backup" ;D just the other day I ordered 2 small inexpensive bags for the EOS-M (even though I only need one, coz the second one was for "backup) ... Also I am not a gambler, smoker, drinker or a womenizer, but a man gotta have at least one vice ... getting "backup" gear is that much needed vice, so stop ruining it for us  with your comments that we don't need the adapter ... Every man who owns an EOS-M and has the noble of wise of camera gear collection must have the adapter  ;D ... Don't know if you are married or not but here is a tip, when a married guy spends $100 or $200 ever month on gear (which can easily be hid in your camera bag) the wife don't question you ... but you spend $100 on a big a55 gear which cannot be easily hid, you either face her wrath or silence treatment ... try spending a $800 on a big a55 DSLR camera for "backup" purposes and see what the wife can do to you ;D ... Therefore, my friend, the EOS-M adapter, even at $190, is an easy to hide small gear that falls well below the wife's radar of vice limits set for the husband, hence every camera gear junkie must have an adapter ... Holy 5h!t, I just convinced myself to get Canon 1.4x or 2x extender ... I love CR, it helps fuel my vice. ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:34:47 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
I just got mine, from the eBay link I posted earlier.

It is a genuine Canon adapter in a genuine Canon box, I am very happy for $85 all inc.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »
Bought the 22mm kit and ordered a white box grey market adapter for $90 from Hong Kong.  The adapter will be mounted to the 40mm STM when we take it out.  That gives me two focal length options to choose from, both with great IQ.  If I need more than these options provide, I have my DSLR!  For me, the adapter was integral to the purpose of the M.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »