July 28, 2014, 01:45:07 PM

Author Topic: Stay with Canon?  (Read 17106 times)

tyho

Stay with Canon?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:37:06 AM »
After 4 years using Canon gear i am thinking of selling all my stuff and switch over to Nikon to get better sensor performance.  The lenses of Nikon are not as good as Canon's but with the Nikon sensor the (DSLR+Lens combi) scores are much better. "It's the combi that makes the picture"

What do you all think?
Keep waiting till Canon gets up (again) with Nikon?

I think this can take a long time... Maby never... Or are there any rumors canon wil get back on top soon?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:51:47 AM by tyho »

canon rumors FORUM

Stay with Canon?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:37:06 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of leaving Canon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »
H & G.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
First post, sensor performance = red flag.

Get whatever keeps you happy and the images you want. Canon doesn't care about you personally, neither do Nikon.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

tyho

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »
H & G.

Well... no offense to anyone!?

Just asking advice. I did not sell anything yet. I truly like canon... But i just don't get it why canon can't make the better sensors...

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
H & G.

Just asking advice. I did not sell anything yet. I truly like canon... But i just don't get it why canon can't make the better sensors...

Show us some images you have shot where your Canon sensor let you down and a Nikon sensor would have made an appreciably better image. It can be done, but not as often as marketing and forums would have you believe.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Re: Stay with Canon?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:04:57 AM »
After 4 years using Canon gear i am thinking of selling all my stuff and switch over to Nikon to get better sensor performance.  The lenses of Nikon are not as good as Canon's but with the Nikon sensor the (DSLR+Lens combi) scores are much better. "It's the combi that makes the picture"

What do you all think?

I think this can take a long time... Maby never... Or are there any rumors canon wil get back on top soon?

First of all...you are incorrect. Some Nikon lenses perform as good or better than Canon's. Many do not. So your general blanket statement about Canon lenses being all better, we can throw in the trash.
AND, unless you are shooting high end products photography or are making huge enlargements of your images....there is no real need to switch systems.  Many have switched and come back to the Canon system for many reasons that the Canon system offers besides a slight increase in sensor performance.
In the end what system you choose is a very personal choice and there is no wrong or right choice...but this forum is probably not the best place to post an ill-thought out question that you have posed. No?
(Hint...if your decision is based simply on DxO results, you might want to also consider other more well-balanced sources. I personally believe that the DxO website is less than transparent is their assessment of gear and I do not consider any of the information that the site posts. ...but that is totally my opinion.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:16:05 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »
H & G.

Show us some images you have shot where your Canon sensor let you down and a Nikon sensor would have made an appreciably better image. It can be done, but not as often as marketing and forums would have you believe.

Now that is a brilliant idea. Let's compare apples and apples. You can start by renting:
a Nikon D4 + 70-200 f2.8 zoom
a Canon 1D-X + 70-200 f2.8 zoom

Go and shoot some sports or an event or whatever else you like in dimly lit conditions so that you can really appreciate that Nikon sensor and AF system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
In the end what system you choose is a very personal choice and there is no wrong or right choice...but this forum is probably not the best place to post an ill-thought out questin that you have posed. No?

Perhaps CR could introduce a 'FAQ' section, which may (or may not, call me an old cynic) reduce the amount of deceased Equine beatings on the forum.  :P
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »
In the end what system you choose is a very personal choice and there is no wrong or right choice...but this forum is probably not the best place to post an ill-thought out questin that you have posed. No?

Perhaps CR could introduce a 'FAQ' section, which may (or may not, call me an old cynic) reduce the amount of deceased Equine beatings on the forum.  :P
My response was more well-rounded than "H &G".   ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:23:28 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

paul13walnut5

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
Yeah you should swap.  And in 6 months or a year when Canon have the upper hand you should swap back.

Or you should really just get out in this fine weather and enjoy your photography.

Photographers seemed to be riddled with self doubt and so easy to market to.

And to use my tired old analogy... to compare the raw images that DXO use, without any processing at all, is not real world.  It's like comparing a bmw without a gearbox to an audi without a gearbox.

I am with canon for the long game.  I've built my system up incrementally, and am not going to swap on a whim.  Too much money invested and more importantly, I'm getting images I'm very happy with.

I'm not a pro (photographer at least, I do video full time, some using DSLRS) and I don't have clients demanding the best DR or completely noise free images for A1 posters, I'm still going to eat tonight, even if I don't get the exact moment a soccer players foot touches a ball, so I'm maybe the wrong person to ask.  In fact I definately am.  But I can't help but think your question is a little bit wrong.

Especially for a first post.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »

What do you all think?

Yes take all your Canon gear and sell it all off (btw just how much Canon gear do you have?) and then purchase the exact same Nikon equivalent, spending more money of course as you lost some in the sell off. All because you didn't quite like the sensor. Smart choice.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45:46 AM »
It is my professional opinion you should switch. I have heard great things about fisher-price camera and have heard of an awesome prototype coming from Lego, but lets keep that on the down-low.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »

What do you all think?

Maybe try Sony or Pentax? The Sony sensors are said to be quite good, and their lenses also... Also, the Pentax K-5II seems quite good, by all accounts, but largely ignored... Look at them, and maybe you'll see something you like.
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
If you are a fan of canon ergonomics i suggest you don't switch

I recently switched from nikon (d800) to canon (1dmkiv) due to better ergonomics for me and a lot more lenses available.

I really miss the resolution of the d800, but in time canon will come up with better sensors and resolution as well :). Lenses I am interested in (wildlife), canon offers more, with a bigger second hand market, and it seems they like the tc's better.

Some examples of what i did not like about the nikon system.

-Ergonomically , the camera felt like it was made for smaller hands than mine, and i really had to clamp it rather than hold it (even with the battery grip), The d7000, d7100, d600 and d800 all had this problem.
The d600 was better to hold than the d800 weird enough, never tried the d4

-Nikon position of the AF-switch ( to switch how many points you use , and afc-af single) , really awkward then you have anything bigger than a 24-70/70-200 on it ( even with the 70-200 it wasn't great).

- The position of the ISO button , basically same thing , it was on top (left side) of the camera.
When handholding a 200-400 on a d800, i found it akward to change iso or the af area, I could not set it to the buttons on the front (it was possible to change from dx to fx there). Maybe it's been updated or I was 2 dumb to figure it out, but ok.

-The glue of the filter holder actually melted away a bit , and the knob of the filter holder gets in the way when you bag the lens+body combination, it was getting lose after only 2 weeks of usage.
I have seen several nikon lenses where it had to be replaced.

-Less secure feeling with bigger lenses, due to ''smaller'' diameter lens mount, this is probably not even true, but very subjective view of myself

- Amount of pressure needed to press the af-on button on the back of the camera, again this may be different between cameras, but the ones i held (d7000/d7100/d800/d600), it seemed to me that more pressure was needed to press the af-on button, when compared to 1dmkiv/7d/5d etc.
This started to annoy me towards the end of the holliday, I was waiting for something to happen , for 2 hours I was constantly refocussing in anticipation of it to happen.

So in the end, even though the resolution was nice, the lens was great, and I am sure most nikon telephotos are close enough to their canon counterparts , the above things and the craving for more than 4fps made me decide to switch to canon.

The shoes fit better, even though I might run a little slower, I am confident I can keep on running ;P
And eventually canon will catch up on sensor performance, even if they are always 2 years behind I am still liking it better.

Also Nikon has it's own fair share of problems.

No 300 f4 vr yet, no 400 f5.6 , heavier 300/400/500/600 lenses.
They will be updated eventually, but if their 800's price is any indication, they won't be cheap.

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »

Now that is a brilliant idea. Let's compare apples and apples. You can start by renting:
a Nikon D4 + 70-200 f2.8 zoom
a Canon 1D-X + 70-200 f2.8 zoom

Go and shoot some sports or an event or whatever else you like in dimly lit conditions so that you can really appreciate that Nikon sensor and AF system.

Let's make it really interesting... rent the following gear:

a Nikon D800E and AFS 14-24mm f2.8G zoom;
a Canon 5D Mark III and... oh, rats - Canon doesn't have anything to compete with this - why bother.  :-X
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »