October 20, 2014, 01:24:58 AM

Author Topic: Stay with Canon?  (Read 19262 times)

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
if you use video or LV , do not consider Nikons.
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
After 4 years using Canon gear i am thinking of selling all my stuff and switch over to Nikon to get better sensor performance.  The lenses of Nikon are not as good as Canon's but with the Nikon sensor the (DSLR+Lens combi) scores are much better. "It's the combi that makes the picture"

What do you all think?
Keep waiting till Canon gets up (again) with Nikon?

I think this can take a long time... Maby never... Or are there any rumors canon wil get back on top soon?

hi, what about a Sony?
I think Sony will dominate this FF camera market.
I think DSLRs just have a few more years of life in it.
Probably next year, 2014 I guess ? will be the birth year for a fullframe mirrorless camera with Alpha mount  and E mount, which will allow you to shoot at 60 frame per second shooting rate with almost no shutter lag or mirrorshock.
As long it has the annoying mirror inside , it will not get as fast as Sony cameras.
If you did not try the A99v yet , just try it at your local shop.
and if you like it get it from Amazon.
I just bought the lightly used A99v and I am pretty amazed with it , it is fast , reliable and almost shock-less(no mirror lock up required).
Also you should know  there will soon be  NEX9 or whatever called Sony full frame E mount mirrorless camera announced , and IMHO, the future is hybrid not sill or video only camera.
and therefore, moving to Nikon,which is actually weaker than Canon in many ways as it comes to designing a good hybrid body, is not worth the time and effort.

BTW, I was a Nikon D800e/D600 shooter and now I am slowly moving to Canon /sony set up(the EOS6D, A99v and probably  the upcoming NEXFF).

Unless you have some lenses in Nikon line up that you must have or want to use , do not waste your money into that system.

Nikon is a weak company as its latest finacial report tells , it is not good at video and thus, it will have tough time competing against Canon, Sony , PAnasonic and Samsung.
IMHO, it is not Nikonvs Canon any more but more likely Canon vs Sony.
Currently Nikon has really loose manufacturing tolerance and  most of its FX cameras have either quality control related issues or design flaws.
Many many D800/E have AF issue , video moire issue, LV issue , card error issues and sometimes even misaligned OVF issue.
The D600 has the infamous lowlight AF and dust issues.
And Nikon seldom honor your warranty or admits some of its products have some serious design flaws.
The D600 dust issue is , imo,not just a minor QC issue but a big design flaw.
I sent mine in for service 7 times before I finally sold it in last week, every time I sent it in it got clean for a few days but then it would collect annoying dust or more likely producing some oily spots in side itself.
There is no real cure for it , so I suggest avoid Nikon FX for now  unless you have some particular lenses that you must need or you shoot only landscape or something seldom moves.
Finally, Nikon's biggest issue is its way of LV implementation , it is terrible , the LCD is really dim and rough in resolution in lowlight and so hard to nail the focus in lowlight. In case of the D600 , you cannot even change aperture in LV, which is ridiculous.

canon rumors FORUM

if you use video or LV , do not consider Nikons.
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
Re: Stay with Canon?
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
You might want to read through Roger at LensRental's posts related to his search for a camera:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-refining-my-choices

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-finally

A big factor for him was how much faster/cheaper Canon's service department is than Nikon's.

He takes a look at actual image quality with different bodies and lenses.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

marcel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • personal work
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »

What you have to say against the 300d????

Looking at that example, exposure accuracy and shadow detail.

hey boy, was a joke, we must not take things so seriously!

Hang on, you asked a question and posted a sample, I pointed out some obvious issues and you get all defensive, and called me boy! How does that work?

It is up to you how seriously you take this stuff, but you shouldn't be surprised if somebody answers a question you ask, it is a forum......

I did not ask anything to you. Was a quote for another person.
But  do not bring your personal problems to the forum.
5D | 550D | 600D | 600 | RT | 14 L | 28 1.8 | 35 2 | 50 1.8 mk 1 | 16-35 L mk 2 | 28-80 2.8-4L | 50-200 3.5-4.5 L | 80-200 2.8 L | 100-300 5.6 L | Pixma Pro 9500 |  FT QL | FTbN QL |  FD 24 2.8 | FD 28 3.5 | FD 35 3.5 | FDn 35 2 | FD 50 3.5 SSC M | FD 100 2.8 | FD 135 3.5 |  FD 200 4 |

shtarker

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
I can never understand why there are so many pro Nikon posters on almost any Canon forum.  Does Nikon attract argumentative, arrogant douches?  If you are a Nikon fan, shouldn't you spend your time on Nikon forums?  Canon forums are going to be pro Canon, so you are just looking for an argument.  They just seem to attract a certain angry, disagreeable portion of the population.

Malte_P

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »
After 4 years using Canon gear i am thinking of selling all my stuff and switch over to Nikon to get better sensor performance.  The lenses of Nikon are not as good as Canon's but with the Nikon sensor the (DSLR+Lens combi) scores are much better. "It's the combi that makes the picture"

What do you all think?

I think this can take a long time... Maby never... Or are there any rumors canon wil get back on top soon?

you should go with nikon or sony.
for a top photographer like you only the best is good enough.
i can see how mediocre canon gear is limiting you and your artistic vision.

if you want to sell you gear i can make you an offer.
thought i can´t pay much... as you noticed canon gear is not that good and therefore not worth much.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »

What you have to say against the 300d????

Looking at that example, exposure accuracy and shadow detail.

hey boy, was a joke, we must not take things so seriously!

Hang on, you asked a question and posted a sample, I pointed out some obvious issues and you get all defensive, and called me boy! How does that work?

It is up to you how seriously you take this stuff, but you shouldn't be surprised if somebody answers a question you ask, it is a forum......

I did not ask anything to you. Was a quote for another person.
But  do not bring your personal problems to the forum.

Er "What you have to say against the 300d????" is a question! I can tell that because it has a question mark after it  ::)

I don't bring my personal problems to the forum, I just replied to a question (remember the question mark part?) that was posted in a forum, I don't see how you construe that as me bringing my personal problems here, but hey, whatever.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Tanja

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »

What do you all think?

when it walks like a troll... talks like a troll.. smells like a troll it probably is a ....   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Let's make it really interesting... rent the following gear:

a Nikon D800E and AFS 14-24mm f2.8G zoom;
a Canon 5D Mark III and... oh, rats - Canon doesn't have anything to compete with this - why bother.  :-X

Or how about:

a Canon 5DIII and TS-E 17mm f/4L;
a Nikon D800E and...

... 14-24 f2.8

The D800E has enough extra resolution you could correct your perspective in PhotoShop and still have detail to spare over the Canon...

a Canon 5DIII and MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro;
a Nikon D800E and...

...  a 20mm f2.8 on a PB-6 bellows - but then that gives you a much wider range of magnifications than you can get with Canon...

a Canon 5DIII and handholdable 600mm f/4L IS II;
a Nikon D800E and...

... any Nikon supertelephoto - unless you're really a wimp; plus, you can use a shorter lens and crop the image and still have more detail than you can capture with the Canon.

a Canon 5DIII and an f/1.2 prime lens;
a Nikon D800E and...

There are a couple of Nikon 50mm f1.2 MF primes that are usable at f/1.2 (no focus shift...) - I can't think of any in the Canon system (unless you're using a Nikon lens on an EF-mount adapter?)

we could do this all day   ::)

I'm sure we could, but it still wouldn't change the facts... ::)
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

Tanja

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »
There are a couple of Nikon 50mm f1.2 MF primes that are usable at f/1.2 (no focus shift...) - I can't think of any in the Canon system (unless you're using a Nikon lens on an EF-mount adapter?)

LOL..... you are either trolling or something i get banned for when i write it.   ;D

marcel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • personal work
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
A big factor for him was how much faster/cheaper Canon's service department is than Nikon's.

[/quote]

When i worked in Spain as news photographer  in the end of the '70, i was the only one with Canon cameras. All others used Nikon.For newspapers and magazines was mandatory to work with Nikon. They said that it was impossible to work with cameras other than Nikon, and  I must to change, but I do not change. In the '80 canon creates the CPS, I had the card number 7.This was the authentic revolution.Those who used nikon began to change to Canon by the technical service and equipment loan service. Today with the CPN I have the camera repaired or replaced by a new one the same day. Considering this and the quality of Canon cameras and lenses is impossible to think of switching to another brand. I have Canon cameras from 1969. They changed, I do not.

5D | 550D | 600D | 600 | RT | 14 L | 28 1.8 | 35 2 | 50 1.8 mk 1 | 16-35 L mk 2 | 28-80 2.8-4L | 50-200 3.5-4.5 L | 80-200 2.8 L | 100-300 5.6 L | Pixma Pro 9500 |  FT QL | FTbN QL |  FD 24 2.8 | FD 28 3.5 | FD 35 3.5 | FDn 35 2 | FD 50 3.5 SSC M | FD 100 2.8 | FD 135 3.5 |  FD 200 4 |

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
... 14-24 f2.8

The D800E has enough extra resolution you could correct your perspective in PhotoShop and still have detail to spare over the Canon...
Makes sense.  That way, you're cropping away the corner softness of the 14-24 that becomes so evident with all that extra resolution.

...  a 20mm f2.8 on a PB-6 bellows - but then that gives you a much wider range of magnifications than you can get with Canon...
Yeah, because that's such a convenient alternative.   

... any Nikon supertelephoto - unless you're really a wimp; plus, you can use a shorter lens and crop the image and still have more detail than you can capture with the Canon.
Well, it's true that the Nikon 600mm is only 30% heavier than the Canon 600 II.  But I'm sure you're manly enough to handhold the Canon 5200mm lens, too. 

Sure, I want to manually focus all the time.  BTW, I have no problem using my 85/1.2L II at f/1.2. 

I'm sure we could, but it still wouldn't change the facts... ::)
Well, it's nice that you're right about one thing, at any rate.

when it walks like a troll... talks like a troll.. smells like a troll it probably is a ....   ;D
Well, it talks like a troll.  Not sure I want to know how it smells, though.  But sadly, this forum seems to attract lots of trolls, and threads like this draw them like moths to a flame. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »
I can never understand why there are so many pro Nikon posters on almost any Canon forum.  Does Nikon attract argumentative, arrogant douches?  If you are a Nikon fan, shouldn't you spend your time on Nikon forums?  Canon forums are going to be pro Canon, so you are just looking for an argument.  They just seem to attract a certain angry, disagreeable portion of the population.
Trolls are not necessarily from "the other side". They might in fact be avid Canon users. Some people just like to troll. There was an interesting program on NPR about a blogger who had to deal with a lot of trolls, in particular with one special individual.
Turned out the trolling was about the trolling and making some waves, not about the topic at all. The guy did have a regular live otherwise.

spot

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
I swear I see/hear this countless times from Nikon shooters.  I’m not trying to stir the pot, but when it comes to Nikon v Canon shooters,…Nikon people are quite quick to bash anything Canon, but Canon shooters genuinely are interested and/or curious about Nikon equipment and actually give some respect to various aspects of lens and body designs.  I agree that these are two great companies and much of it is the skill of the photographer, but jeeeez!  I have never gone over to Nikon site to troll around, but there seems to be some trolls here… I have shot Canon equipment for 31 years and have been curious about “the other side” but never thought we were FAR superior or something.  I like Canon gear and have invested a lot of time and money in the stuff.  I would never think of switching to Nikon just because I think it would make me a better picture takerer. (haha)  Some aspects of their gear intrigues me and I can think of a Nikon lens or two I would like to have,..heck I even like the sound of a D4 shutter better  compared to my 5D III…..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
neuro Rocks!!!!

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »
But sadly, this forum seems to attract lots of trolls, and threads like this draw them like moths to a flame.
They are being well fed here. They feed on passionate replies to their posts

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »