February 17, 2018, 03:10:54 PM

Author Topic: Questions on 5D Mark iii  (Read 2287 times)

canon23

• EOS Rebel T7i
Questions on 5D Mark iii
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »
Hi All,

I'm looking to save up to get the 5D Mark iii, but have a few questions.

1) how do I determine which camera is of which 'batch' of production since there has been various issues...e.g light leaks?

2) will the 'newest batch of production bodies' already have the most recent firmware updates (as of production)?

3) what other mechanical or firmware flaws should I pay attention to?

Thx!!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

Questions on 5D Mark iii
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: Questions on 5D Mark iii
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:38:33 AM »
Hi All,

1) how do I determine which camera is of which 'batch' of production since there has been various issues...e.g light leaks?

2) will the 'newest batch of production bodies' already have the most recent firmware updates (as of production)?

Thx!!

The light leaks were a red herring, nothing to really worry about unless you take photos with the lens cap on.  Production was updated a year ago, so there are none in stores (They were recalled and repaired).

Generally, expect a new camera to have the latest firmware.  Canon starts shipping bodies with new firmware before the updates are offered to the public.

The only flaws will be random ones that occur in a small number of cases.  There is nothing I've experienced that is a systemic flaw.

Basically, there is nothing to worry about, but if you are very concerned, buy your camera from a local dealer, one that will take care of any issues.  You can save $$$ by getting one on ebay, but unless its a major dealer, you might have a tough time with service.  I bought my 5D MK III on ebay from Adorama when they had a one day special price.  Its never had a problem in its 10 months of life.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »
Hi All,

Thx!!

The light leaks were a red herring, nothing to really worry about unless you take photos with the lens cap on.  Production was updated a year ago, so there are none in stores (They were recalled and repaired).

Generally, expect a new camera to have the latest firmware.  Canon starts shipping bodies with new firmware before the updates are offered to the public.

The only flaws will be random ones that occur in a small number of cases.  There is nothing I've experienced that is a systemic flaw.

Basically, there is nothing to worry about, but if you are very concerned, buy your camera from a local dealer, one that will take care of any issues.  You can save $$$ by getting one on ebay, but unless its a major dealer, you might have a tough time with service.  I bought my 5D MK III on ebay from Adorama when they had a one day special price.  Its never had a problem in its 10 months of life.

+1 with Mt Spokane Photography

I believe "light leak" issue was discovered in early production patches. There is a serial label located at bottom of camera. If the 6th digit is 1,2 or 3 then it belongs to early production patches. Exp. xxxxx1

My 1st 5D III came from VERY 1st PATCH. I'm still shooting with original firmware and original "light leak". I recently bought 2nd 5D III. The major dif. between these two is 2nd 5D III smells much newer. No dif in IQ.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:25:43 AM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »