August 28, 2014, 09:21:02 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III - Camera is not back on with shutter button pressed halfway  (Read 2655 times)

mann

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
I just received my camera yesterday.
Today, I start exploring it...
then
I put it down for a while to go have something else done, when I came back I tried to press the shutter button halfway to wake it up but nothing happened.  I have to switch it off & back on again

What did I do wrong ??

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

KAS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Afterglow Images - Niagara Weddings and Portraits
I've noticed the same thing...but only since the firmware update a little while ago. I don't think you did anything wrong.

It's not a big deal, but I get a quick dose of panic each time it happens. :)

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
The only times I've seen this happen is when 1) my battery door was not closed completely and 2) with the battery grip installed the twist lock for the battery tray had twisted ever so slightly.  There are switches on both that will prevent a power up. 

Other than that I have shot thousands of hours with the 5D3 and never has something happened like that that couldn't be explained.

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Both mine work as expected, even after the new software was installed. It had no effect on any of the switches or expected actions.

Maybe an anomaly?

Zen

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
No, it depends how long you left it alone... At a point, it shuts off.    If you leave it on and put it down and come look at it in the morning, it will be off, you would want it to be off.  You can set the duration in the menu...  My guess is that you left it alone just a little too long...  :)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
The only times I've seen this happen is when 1) my battery door was not closed completely and 2) with the battery grip installed the twist lock for the battery tray had twisted ever so slightly.  There are switches on both that will prevent a power up. 

Other than that I have shot thousands of hours with the 5D3 and never has something happened like that that couldn't be explained.
Or if you leave it unattended for too long...
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

I didn't think that mattered... how long unattended?  I assumed it would just sleep until the battery dies.  I've accidentally left mine powered on on my desktop for days, and when I went back and noticed, I touched the shutter and the screen came back on.
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

mann

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile

I didn't think that mattered... how long unattended?  I assumed it would just sleep until the battery dies.  I've accidentally left mine powered on on my desktop for days, and when I went back and noticed, I touched the shutter and the screen came back on.

That's true !!!

After I read replies about "...leaving it for too long" I told myself "that might be it" so I tested it again pressing the shutter button halfway right when the screen turned off but again it didn't turn back on

It's not a big deal but so annoying to me.  It's not a cheap camera and you expect something as simple as this works flawlessly :p

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto

This is how my 7d behaves... pretty sure it's gone at least a day or two.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
Seems like some of you can reproduce this problem at will.  You should report it to Canon as it seems others have noticed it.  I for one have not so it's either some combo of firmware settings or an issue with hardware.  The hardest issue to fix is one that's intermittent.  If this is reproducible you should let Canon know so they can try to resolve it for everyone.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Doesn't affect mine... I can leave my camera for a day or two and come back and it's ready to go... check your card door, battery door and make sure you have enough juice in your battery.  There's auto shut off settings and it could be that the camera was set not to auto shut off, essentially draining the battery...  Had that once a few years ago, learned not to do that again.  There has never been a time i've had to turn off and back on my camera from the switch unless i wanted to for some unforeseen reason. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
My 5D MK III is sitting next to me with my 70-200mm lens mounted, I haven't used it since Monday.  I reached over and half pressed the shutter, and it came on in 1/2 second.  The battery will last for months if left in hibernation with the power on, but I use it enough to recharge the battery every week or two at a minimum.

If yours is not coming right on, do a camera reset and see if it still happens.  Make sure you don't have any third party battery grip or the like on it. 

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
I've not experienced this with mine.  I did have a similar issue with my old 50D when dust got into the shutter button (replaced that and it was fine).  Is this camera new?  If so, I'd contact Canon.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

mann

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your replies.

I called Canon & reported the problem, they had no idea why it's like that at all.  They told me to call whoever I bought it from.  I did and they're going to send me a new one.

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile

This is how my 7d behaves... pretty sure it's gone at least a day or two.
My apologies.  This was the case on my 7d too, not my 5d3.  My 5d3 pops right back up with a press of the shutter button for extended periods... My mistake.. :-[
Ken

canon rumors FORUM