April 20, 2014, 04:02:23 PM

Poll

When do you think the Canon EOS M ii will be officially announced?

in July 2013
in August 2013
in September 2013
in October 2013
in November 2013
in December 2013
in January 2014
After January 2014
There will never be a Canon EOS M ii

Author Topic: Canon EOS M II  (Read 4606 times)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Canon EOS M II
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
I personally think that we do not need a new M body that urgent.  What we need is a more comprehensive M system – more lenses and accessories available.  The EOS M should not be only a backup camera for the EOS DSLR.  It is nice that I can put the L lenses to my M body once in a while, but I prefer to use it with more choice of smaller lenses as my daily camera.

+1 here ... I'd like a 15mm f/2.8 pancake and a 50 mm f/2 IS

That would give FF equiv 24mm, 35mm (the 22mm f/2),  and 80mm in a really small light package for travel!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
+1 on the need for more lenses.  In that regard, Canon USA's decision not to launch the one recently announced lens (11-22mm) completely baffles me.

As I've often said, peering into the mind of Canon is like staring at the sun looking for a single hydrogen atom. You'll never see one, and you'll go blind trying.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
I personally think that we do not need a new M body that urgent.  What we need is a more comprehensive M system – more lenses and accessories available.  The EOS M should not be only a backup camera for the EOS DSLR.  It is nice that I can put the L lenses to my M body once in a while, but I prefer to use it with more choice of smaller lenses as my daily camera.

I agree: unless you're going to use it merely as an emergency back-up, putting full-size DSLR lenses on it seems self-defeating, especially since in many cases it's the lens, not the DSLR body, that's bulky and heavy.  The problem is, if you're not going to use it as a backup (I probably won't - I have two Canon FF bodies) but want it as a compact system as an alternative to DSLR gear, there are already such things out there which are  superior now and may remain so.  E.g., a few months ago I bought an Olympus OMD for that purpose, and there's a wide range of small, light, and extremely good lenses etc. for it and other m43 cameras (smaller and lighter than the Ms are likely to have).  Why would anyone wanting a compact system bother with the M at all at this point unless they're happy with the limited choice of lenses?  I ordered an M because the price is ridiculous, I'm somewhat curious, and the 22mm lens looks rather cute; but I'm half inclined to cancel my order if B&H hasn't shipped it....

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
Do not think the next EOS M will make it to the US Market.  For a long time Canon has ignored the mirror-less system.  I think they underestimated the competition and were relying on the Canon name to sale cameras.   And at $599 it was to expensive for the performance.  I would buy Sony Nex all day given the price comparison.  It was lacking the features a large number of enthusiasts would like such as physical buttons/EVF etc. 

From a point and shoot perspective it is lacking the focus tools and features that are now common on Point and Shoot and smart phones.  (Facial recognition, blink detection, smile detection wireless I can go on all day.)

It was poorly though out, poorly marketed, and late to the party. It showed a lack of commitment and market understanding.  It also lacked presence in retail locations.  I can go buy Nikon one, Samsung whatever or a Nex at Walmart, I have never seen a EOS M anywhere.  It is a little harder to fine m4/3 camera but they sometimes carry them at Frys.

I think they really need to do more development and bring out a solid performer. 

I think the 299 price was a market capitulation and the steal of the year.  I can not wait to get ML on mine.
Given the build quality of the M it is likely that Canon lost money on this one.  Given the manufacture 300 off instant rebate if not manufacturing then on R&D.

They will be reducing a lower end more plastic model to replace the current model probably in Asia and other markets were mirror-less is more popular.  In the US I do not expect to see another M until the EOS 70d sensor is put in one and that will only happen if they have some success selling the cheaper model. 

I hope I am wrong.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:46:31 PM by tcmatthews »
6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

tbob32

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
I sent the following email to CanonUSA today:

I ordered an EOS M from B&H Photo this week that is on it's way. I just noticed that a new lens is available everywhere but the U.S. and notices from Canon that it will not be and won't be supported.  

This is making me nervous about the future of the M and whether I should just return this to B&H upon arrival. Does Canon intend to support and develop the M line in the U.S. or abandon it once the current stock is gone at the discounted prices?

Concerned in the U.S.
Robert Taylor

And received the following reply a couple of hours later:

Dear Robert Taylor:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support about the EOS M.

You are correct.  At this time, we do not have plans to sell the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM due to current market conditions.

As to the future of the EOS M line, I do not have any information to support one side or the other.  New products will be announced as they become available, should they be released. 

As always, the best place to locate current information and press releases is on our newsroom website here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=20

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS M. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Andrew
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email. If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email, you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

The statement about not releasing due to current market conditions does not inspire faith. I'll still keep it but I'm not expecting many new accessories.

Bob T

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
FYI, the EF-M 11-22mm can be ordered from Henry's or Vistek in Canada, and they will ship to the US.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PureAmateur

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

I agree: unless you're going to use it merely as an emergency back-up, putting full-size DSLR lenses on it seems self-defeating, especially since in many cases it's the lens, not the DSLR body, that's bulky and heavy.  The problem is, if you're not going to use it as a backup (I probably won't - I have two Canon FF bodies) but want it as a compact system as an alternative to DSLR gear, there are already such things out there which are  superior now and may remain so.  E.g., a few months ago I bought an Olympus OMD for that purpose, and there's a wide range of small, light, and extremely good lenses etc. for it and other m43 cameras (smaller and lighter than the Ms are likely to have).  Why would anyone wanting a compact system bother with the M at all at this point unless they're happy with the limited choice of lenses?  I ordered an M because the price is ridiculous, I'm somewhat curious, and the 22mm lens looks rather cute; but I'm half inclined to cancel my order if B&H hasn't shipped it....

I am one of the EOS-M early adopters (yes, I paid the premium).  Initially I thought that it’s good idea to have a small camera to pair with my Canon DSLR and lenses system for daily use but soon I found out that was not the case.  Not to mention the “unergonomic” use of the EOS-M with the full frame lenses for causal shooting (you feel heavier to hold the camera in the air a foot away from you when comparing to stuck a DSLR to your face), at some events, I want to be low profile but with a big lenses attached to a small camera, it even draws more attention than using DSLR!

EOS-M is a nice camera with quality built and the ability to use the EF/EF-S lenses is certainly an advantage when you have special needs.  But Canon’s concern on having the DSLR market share stolen is wrong.  I am sure that most of us here can afford to run two systems – DSLR when performance and/or IQ are needed and Mirrorless for convenience.  If Canon does not act fast to build a more comprehensive Mirrorless product line, their market share will eventually be eaten by other companies.  In fact, I am eyeing on the Olympus PEN E-P5 if its price drops a bit later… But I hope that Canon will catch up also.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »
Sorry guys, just realised I did not add the obvious: "There will never be a Canon EOS M ii". Cheers.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
This camera's an odd duck. IQ is very good for what it is. The 22mm lens is extremely sharp wide open. Sensor is that old familiar 7D.

The system seems horribly misguided, though. This handles like a consumer camera, but while touch to shoot is cool, it's too slow for most purposes. The lack of an optical finder (or nice EVF) is a deal-killer for "serious" photographers, and the smallness is totally negated by the lack of non-huge lenses available outside the obvious two (and even the 22mm f2 is bigger than one might like for a pocket camera) and the charger's size. I like Canon's gear for its ease of use... not its IQ necessarily, but the colors are always punchy and nice out of the box. Friends make fun of my 5D Mark III and C100 when comparing them with the D800 and Red/BMCC, but then these cameras work so well in the field. But the M is not a well-designed product or at least not thought out that well... or over-thought out. Would rather have an X100s!

Canon's menus are still too complicated. Better than Nikon and Panasonic but awful on most of their products. The pro stuff is best (nothing is useless or wasted), but their high end consumer stuff (5D Mark III, etc.) is full of dumb features and the M has poor ergonomics beyond this, which makes it really awkward. All these companies could learn something from Apple. But the lens is great, and it's a great focal length, and this is a tiny back up, which is cool.

Not sure there will be a follow-up. The images look good. With a few pancake lenses it could be a cool system. I want to put a tilt/shift adapter on it and have a tiny landscape kit. Interesting that the introduce the new 70D AF technology right after they put these on firesale... seems to hint at an update. New firmware is odd for a camera they want to get rid of, too. And yet the lack of availability on the 11-22mm seems to indicate they're trashing the line.

I dig the small lenses on M43. Can sort of see why that's popular now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:44:19 PM by Policar »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »