September 20, 2014, 06:15:36 PM

Poll

When do you think the Canon EOS M ii will be officially announced?

in July 2013
in August 2013
in September 2013
in October 2013
in November 2013
in December 2013
in January 2014
After January 2014
There will never be a Canon EOS M ii

Author Topic: Canon EOS M II  (Read 5543 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Canon EOS M II
« on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:34 AM »
With so many of you here at CR buying the Canon EOS M version one, I am just curious, especially in light of the fact that the US$ 299 is STILL ongoing*, when you think Mark II will be out?

*at least when this poll was created.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS M II
« on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:34 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M II
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »
I would hazard a guess ... announced in September and available in October this year. 
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »
I would hazard a guess ... announced in September and available in October this year.

;D ;D ;D....what about the new UWA lens?
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »
I would think in time for Christmas but leaving a little time to get the 70D out of the door as I'm assuming they are going to be using the same sensor

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
I would think in time for Christmas but leaving a little time to get the 70D out of the door as I'm assuming they are going to be using the same sensor

Perhaps not.  The initial rumor was one more M model released before they bring out the one with the dual pixel AF of the 70D.  They could still release an M with an updated sensor - the current M uses the T4i/650D's Hybrid CMOS sensor, and the T5i/700D sensor is Hybrid CMOS II.  So, my guess is we'll see another 'consumer' M with the T5i's sensor, sometime around the end of summer for delivery well before the holidays, followed a 'pro' M with dual pixel AF announced in the first quarter of 2014.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:40:14 PM »
If it has that dual Pixel CMOS, I still wouldn't buy it. I already bought a g15.  :P

PureAmateur

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
I personally think that we do not need a new M body that urgent.  What we need is a more comprehensive M system – more lenses and accessories available.  The EOS M should not be only a backup camera for the EOS DSLR.  It is nice that I can put the L lenses to my M body once in a while, but I prefer to use it with more choice of smaller lenses as my daily camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
I personally think that we do not need a new M body that urgent.  What we need is a more comprehensive M system – more lenses and accessories available.  The EOS M should not be only a backup camera for the EOS DSLR.  It is nice that I can put the L lenses to my M body once in a while, but I prefer to use it with more choice of smaller lenses as my daily camera.

+1 on the need for more lenses.  In that regard, Canon USA's decision not to launch the one recently announced lens (11-22mm) completely baffles me.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
Depends upon sensor size.  Nikon went sub-APS-C in size. Will the next M from Canon be an APS-C sensor or smaller?  I think there will be a minor upgrade this autumn in time for Christmas shopping and then something more major next year (so everyone can upgrade).

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
+1 on the need for more lenses.  In that regard, Canon USA's decision not to launch the one recently announced lens (11-22mm) completely baffles me.

Agree on the lack of UWA in the U.S. Timing it to the recent price cut would have seemed to be brilliant.

I'll be happy to see more lenses but the present lineup is pretty good, as soon as I can get a 11-22 that is. With the adaptor I've got coming in today I suddenly get another case full of lenses, even though they're not optimal (but much cheaper when shared). Looking forward to putting the fisheye zoom on it, I love fisheye on a crop sensor.

I have to say though these EOS M lenses are beautifully built. They may have a lot of plastic on the inside but the low profile, sleek look is great to see on a canon. I don't like all the rubber they put on the L lenses.

JohanCruyff

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

Is this "to rub salt in the wounds"? The EF-S 10-22 costs twice as much at amazon.it...

A good reason for a trip to Europe!  ;)
Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »

I can see that the EOS-M is a great back-up / 'small portable, yet quality' camera for many people.  For me, the EOS-M size with the kit zoom lens (18-55mm) doesn't make it as convenient as I want. The 11-22mmmm UWA would work for many people as a landscape / 'hiking' combination too. But again, that lens is not 'ultra thin'.  However with the 22mm f/2 pancake prime, the size of the EOS-M is smaller - so that's great in theory - but I do like to have zoom for my 'small, travel camera'.   

A few weeks ago I bought a Sony RX-100 for my fiancee - she loves it. The size is just perfect for her (eg to place in her bag, and take everywhere). The EOS-M with 18-55mm is quite a lot larger. I 'tested' the RX-100 before I gave it to her, to check whether it operated well - (eg if I needed to return it). I was impressed with the image quality - though it doesn't match a DSLR (and thus doesn't quite have the DOF control as an EOS-M either).

My question is - while the recent EOS-M packages (22mm prime and 18-55mm) were on special in B&H (and Adorama / Amazon too if I remember correctly) - and 'made available' to US customers, surely this could have been bought by non-US customers too, right? (just paying an addition for postage eg about $60 shipping to here, Australia?)

And in the same manner, can't US customers obtain the EOS-M 11-22mm UWA zoom by either ordering from online retailers (not based in US - but who are willing to ship to the US)... or have a friend buy for them outside the US and ship (eg insured) to US?

I am, like Neuro, also baffled why the 11-22mm EOS-M lens isn't for sale directly in US.  It appears that lens IS available here in Australia (http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Compact-System-Cameras/EF-M-11-22mm-f4-56-IS-STM)

I look forward to hearing from people about obtaining camera equipment from other countries, when either that equipment, OR a particular deal isn't available in other locations directly. I I could see the market is easily flooded with more grey imports that way, right?

[By the way, the EOS-M lenses so far tested on www.SLRgear.com appear to have very good IQ. That bodes good things for the future!... eg what the EOS-M II and EOS-M III will be as a package... I hope that Dual Pixel live view AF will soon be Canon's standard for all digital cameras!]

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
With the adaptor I've got coming in today I suddenly get another case full of lenses, even though they're not optimal (but much cheaper when shared).

I have to say though these EOS M lenses are beautifully built. They may have a lot of plastic on the inside but the low profile, sleek look is great to see on a canon.

Agreed. There are other little perks to the EF-M lenses - for example, the barrel of the 22mm lens automatically retracts when the M is powered off, but the barrel of the (adapted) 40mm lens doesn't, despite both being STM 'pancake' lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
Not sure, but I'd bet before the holiday season, possibly before the back-to-school gets in full swing.

While I missed out on the $300, I did finally decide to jump while it's still at $350, so still pretty inexpensive. I decided to because while I was considering on staying with film only this year at Burning Man, but then decided it might be nice to have a decent digital camera to do time lapses or things like that, but not my 5d2/5d3. Plus, I can get something like this and be pretty sure it won't come back completely full of dust and inoperable. Or maybe I'll cobble together something with some plastic wrap/screen protector, gaffers tape, and a decent UV filter for the 22mm lens.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Powder Portraits

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • viewmyimages
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »
Here is a Email I received this afternoon from Adorama about the EOS-M I ordered the evening they went on sale. Lucky I also made a backup order which has shipped from Amazon. I would bet a EOS -M replacement is well on its way.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for ordering the CANON EOS M EF-M22MM STM KIT. Please understand that since this special offer was re-posted on numerous 'deals' websites, the demand for this item simply outnumbered the supply that we had on hand.

At this moment we are not able to get more quantity to be able to supply all open orders, we therefore have no other choice but to cancel your order.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Adorama Customer Service."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »