I'd like to thank everyone who has provided comments to this point -- it is much appreciated!
A few follow-on comments --
- I have used a 24-105L on my 60D -- rented one to use at my son's graduation (small school auditorium -- seats 300-350). I like it, but the reach was not quite enough and the F4 in that space was marginal. Afterwards I ended up purchasing a used Canon 70-200 F4L IS which I really like. But it is also an F4. It does work for some venues.
- My lovely wife just yesterday gave me one of the 40mm 2.8 STM pancake lenses. She knew I was looking for something, and heard it had gotten good reviews. And she really likes the size and how it did not create an imposing camera like my larger lenses do. So I'm going to give that a try over the next month and see how it goes...
- The Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS has always been a lens I wanted, but have not purchased to date...it seems like I'll revisit that lens.
- I'm definitely going to give a monopod another try. I used one for a short period in the past -- worked fine in some larger indoor venues, but not in smaller ones.
- Thanks to SwissBear for mentioning the Sigma 50-150 2.8 -- I was not aware of that lens and will do some research on that one...I've always wanted the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, but it is out of my price range at the moment...
- Based on comments I'll probably take the 100L off my list for this purpose, but will revisit the 85mm 1.8.