April 20, 2014, 08:13:31 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM  (Read 19402 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »
Now, a 300 question that's been bugging me for a while.  The camera strap is off when I shoot with the 300 but really should be on when I switch to the 24-70, which is not that often.  Anyone have a solution to this that doesn't involve threading the strap back on the camera, and works well?

I use the Black Rapid RS-7 and have two screws for that one. One on the foot on the lens (70-200mm) and one on the camera itself. In Sweden the separate screw is a bit expensive for just being a screw but it´s worth it =) It makes it very easy to change where I attach the strap when changing lenses. I really hate the original strap since I bought the Black Rapid. But maybe the 300mm is too expensive and heavy to be comfortable using together with the Black Rapid RS-7.

I use a different solution.  Rather than screwing Blackrapid FasterR lugs into body and lens, I have the lug attached (semi-permanently, with Loctite Blue) to a small Kirk 1" Arca-Swiss type clamp.  Since I have lens plates or replacement feet on all collared lenses, as well as an L-bracket for the body, that enables me to attach the Blackrapid strap wherever I want, switching it around very easily.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
Now, a 300 question that's been bugging me for a while.  The camera strap is off when I shoot with the 300 but really should be on when I switch to the 24-70, which is not that often.  Anyone have a solution to this that doesn't involve threading the strap back on the camera, and works well?

I use the Black Rapid RS-7 and have two screws for that one. One on the foot on the lens (70-200mm) and one on the camera itself. In Sweden the separate screw is a bit expensive for just being a screw but it´s worth it =) It makes it very easy to change where I attach the strap when changing lenses. I really hate the original strap since I bought the Black Rapid. But maybe the 300mm is too expensive and heavy to be comfortable using together with the Black Rapid RS-7.

I use a different solution.  Rather than screwing Blackrapid FasterR lugs into body and lens, I have the lug attached (semi-permanently, with Loctite Blue) to a small Kirk 1" Arca-Swiss type clamp.  Since I have lens plates or replacement feet on all collared lenses, as well as an L-bracket for the body, that enables me to attach the Blackrapid strap wherever I want, switching it around very easily.

Another option is the Carry Speed,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carry-Speed-FS-Pro-Telephoto-Connector/dp/B00B1EW60G
It is attached to the camera with an Arca Swiss compatible plate and you can take the strap on and off fairly easy. It also have a second strap, which you can attach to your lens, if it´s a big one.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 600/4L II

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »

I read Neuro's solution sometime ago on another thread re the same subject, I basically did the same, but used the RRS Lever Clamp attached to the Black Rapid Strap, using the locktite. I have RRS replacement feet on all my Whites, and use Wimberley Plates on the 70-200 & other lenses, I've been really happy with this solution, for extra comfort/safety you can also attach a separate short strap through the loop of the Black Rapid and attach to the L Plate.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:02:23 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »