September 01, 2014, 11:42:49 AM

Author Topic: A bit confused on what to buy!  (Read 3786 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: A bit confused on what to buy!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 02:59:18 AM »
Looking at the last picture the barrier is almost in focus. You're not tracking with all AF points selected are you ? I would use centre point only. Also if you know precisely where the subject is going to be at any time try zone focusing as RL suggested. If you haven't already done so change your AF to back button only, keep on AI Servo so you can readily change from auto tracking to pre focus.

Reality is a Rebel can do 90% of what a 1D can do in the right hands.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 02:59:18 AM »

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 03:14:43 AM »
Looking at the last picture the barrier is almost in focus. You're not tracking with all AF points selected are you ? I would use centre point only. Also if you know precisely where the subject is going to be at any time try zone focusing as RL suggested. If you haven't already done so change your AF to back button only, keep on AI Servo so you can readily change from auto tracking to pre focus.

Reality is a Rebel can do 90% of what a 1D can do in the right hands.
I am using center point AF! Though it is supposed to be a lot more sensitive with an F2.8 lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 01:07:30 PM »
I currently am a 15 year old who has taken on photography as a hobby. As of now, I own the following: T2i, 24-105 F/4L, 40mm F2.8 Pancake, 55-250mm 3.5-5.6 IS II, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, a minolta Auto280PX flash and 2 Minolta lenses. I am a bit confused as to whether the 70D would be the ideal upgrade, or possibly holding off to the 7D Mark II!

I take pictures of my friends and RC cars. Currently, with the T2i I can definitely take pictures of people, but I find the camera really struggles with moving subjects. I know the T2i isn't really geared towards sports photography, and in my own experience I found this to be true. While taking pictures of RC cars I can only get about 40% of the shots actually in focus (AI Servo and center point) and it's a bit disappointing.

Here's an example of the RC cars:

IMG_9858 by THGBrian, on Flickr

Here's one that is out of focus:

IMG_9826 by THGBrian, on Flickr

They move VERY fast!

With stationary objects (people) there is absolutely no problem:

Porsche GT3RS by THGBrian, on Flickr

I am looking for something that will be able to get these shots in focus, have better low light focusing, and possibly better low light performance.

I have considered the following:
Don't do anything at all! (Parents would love this!  ::) )
Purchase a few fast primes. (Sigma 50mm f1.4)
Buy a Fujifilm X-E1 due to it's size and low light performance. Then down the road, buy a 7D Mark II or some "upgrade" to my T2i. <--- Most money spent here
Buy a Canon 70D during black friday. (No tax day at two of my local camera stores)
Wait for a 7D replacement

I really like the autofocus and video features that the 70D has (touchscreen!!!), as I like to make videos. However, with the possibility of a new 7D replacement that will only improve on the 70D (without the touchscreen and possibly wi-fi) I am really not sure if I should purchase anything at all! I'm not trying to sound like some rich kid, as I do work to get these items.  ;) Maybe I should be grateful that I even own these items and hold off until I really need a camera. Thanks for reading!

If you guys need any more info, please ask!

The T2i is capable of capturing moving items with sharp focus.  There is no camera available that will track focus for a vehicle speeding away from you at high speed.
If autofocus won't track, pre focus on a area that the vehicle will pass, and use a high shutter speed.  You can also stop down to improve the depth of focus.

I happened to be browsing thru a few National Geographic Magazines from 1919 yesterday, and several bird in flight photos, as well as photos of sporting events caught my eye, there was no such thing as autofocus in 1919, so photographers used their skill, depth of field, and timing to capture the critical instant in one shot.  There was no second shot until you pulled out the plate and popped another in.

Develop your skills, and your camera will do a superb job.

Good luck, and don't get caught up chasing a perfect camera, it doesn't exist.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:36 PM »
Small fast moving objects.... Similar to birds....

Far more important than gear, practice the motions to follow the model cars. If you can keep that center autofocus on the car you will have a much better keeper ratio, but it is a lot harder than it sounds.

A faster lens will/should autofocus faster, but this only good when you can keep the point on your target.
The best camera is the one in your hands

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »
Small fast moving objects.... Similar to birds....

Far more important than gear, practice the motions to follow the model cars. If you can keep that center autofocus on the car you will have a much better keeper ratio, but it is a lot harder than it sounds.

A faster lens will/should autofocus faster, but this only good when you can keep the point on your target.

At this point it is probably technique! Though I did practice a little bit and I can track the cars a bit better.

Just Some Drift Stuff by THGBrian, on Flickr

The blur is due to the shutter speed being at 1/320...

TeenTog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Teen Tog
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 10:15:27 PM »
I just think it's an issue of technique, not camera.

For sure. While a camera may help in a few ways, I think that settling down and really focusing on using your camera to its potential would really help. I have a T3, which in many was sis similar to what you're using, and I would like to upgrade to a 70D soon. However, I need to remind myself that I can still get fantastic shots with my camera, and remember: the best camera is the one you have in your hands.
Rebel T3, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, 430EX II, Nikon EL 2, Assorted Nikkor primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 10:15:27 PM »