April 19, 2014, 10:06:05 PM

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 8120 times)

ZeuZ

Can someone tell me what the karma rating is standing for? ありがとう! thx!

canon rumors FORUM

Tarrum

Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
Press [applaud] and someone will get a +1. Press [smite] and you give them a -1. Basically, if you like what someone posted you press +1 and otherwise -1 (or nothing)

gferdinandsen

• Rebel T5i
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
Can someone tell me what the karma rating is standing for? ありがとう! thx!

The numbers of applauds/smites (right below the rating) that you get.  Basically if you like what someone has to say, you should applaud them; if you think they are way off base, rude, or otherwise clueless, you should them smite them.

You will notice that the more opinionated posters have high scores on both sides.
1v HS, 5D3, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

ZeuZ

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
Oki Thx, still can't find those buttons though  :p --> I see, it depends on the topic :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:40:53 AM by ZeuZ »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
I see, it depends on the topic

You also have to be signed in to give a rating. (BTW, this fine advice ought to be worth an "applaud" :) )
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
You will notice that the more opinionated posters have high scores on both sides.

Certain topics cause people to get clicky as well I noticed :) (I won't say it for fear of retribution  :-X )

The best you can do when it's anonymous like this is to ignore it if someone smites you and consider how it feels when you use the feature(s) yourself.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dppaskewitz

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
OK, I signed in.  But I still don't see buttons to give Karma.  Do I have to increase my post count before I get the buttons.  Or, am I just not seeing them?   ;D
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »

Heidrun

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
OK, I signed in.  But I still don't see buttons to give Karma.  Do I have to increase my post count before I get the buttons.  Or, am I just not seeing them?   ;D

Just press applaud or smile

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »

I don't see the option either.  Maybe we just have to make more posts before it becomes available?
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »
Yes, there is a minimum number of posts required to use the feature.  This is to allow new members to get a feel for whats normal as far as posts go, and to stop people from signing up just to smite someone before they have established themselves as a legitimate poster.

Use the plus or minus sparingly, I seldom use the negative unless someone is really super rude to others, but not enough to get a ban or warning.  Some are like kiddies, and just like to post negatives on others.  It really is not helpful to do this.  We do not track who uses the Karma.  Its recorded in the database, but we have not bothered to dig it out, so its anonymous.

If someone is helpful and is making a positive contribution to the discussion, by all means give them a positive.

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »
Yes, there is a minimum number of posts required to use the feature.  This is to allow new members to get a feel for whats normal as far as posts go, and to stop people from signing up just to smite someone before they have established themselves as a legitimate poster.

Use the plus or minus sparingly, I seldom use the negative unless someone is really super rude to others, but not enough to get a ban or warning.  Some are like kiddies, and just like to post negatives on others.  It really is not helpful to do this.  We do not track who uses the Karma.  Its recorded in the database, but we have not bothered to dig it out, so its anonymous.

If someone is helpful and is making a positive contribution to the discussion, by all means give them a positive.

Thanks.  Good to know.  I actually saw that I had the ability to give points right after I made a post about not being able to see the option!
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
We do not track who uses the Karma.  Its recorded in the database, but we have not bothered to dig it out, so its anonymous.

I was going to start a new thread about my question, but i'll post it here instead.

Currently, I don't think there's any way for me to view what posts of mine have been given 'karma' ratings.
Frankly, I don't want to know who applauds me, or who smites (that kind of information is just going to lead to flame wars and retaliation).

But, I would very much like to know for what I am getting applauded or smited.

The whole idea of the system is that people who always say negative things can be identified, and those who try to be useful can also be applauded. But I make a lot of posts (i'm in the top-10, or nearly, i think). So how am I to know which of my comments are seen as useful or not?
eg, this morning I was +15/-7, I posted maybe 5-10 times, now i'm +16/-9. Which post did someone like, which did 2 people not like?

Whether this can be implemented is probably dependant on the Forum Software used, but it's certainly a feature I'm sure others wouldn't mind seeing either...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »
We do not track who uses the Karma.  Its recorded in the database, but we have not bothered to dig it out, so its anonymous.

I was going to start a new thread about my question, but i'll post it here instead.

Currently, I don't think there's any way for me to view what posts of mine have been given 'karma' ratings.
Frankly, I don't want to know who applauds me, or who smites (that kind of information is just going to lead to flame wars and retaliation).

But, I would very much like to know for what I am getting applauded or smited.

The whole idea of the system is that people who always say negative things can be identified, and those who try to be useful can also be applauded. But I make a lot of posts (i'm in the top-10, or nearly, i think). So how am I to know which of my comments are seen as useful or not?
eg, this morning I was +15/-7, I posted maybe 5-10 times, now i'm +16/-9. Which post did someone like, which did 2 people not like?

Whether this can be implemented is probably dependant on the Forum Software used, but it's certainly a feature I'm sure others wouldn't mind seeing either...

It only has minimal controls as described here, so there is no way to do that.  There may be other software mods to add more capability, but we keep a absolute minimum of add-ons due to the potential for server issues, hackers, etc.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=104

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »

vowing_dad

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
Anyone thinks the Karma is annoying and serves no purpose?

briansquibb

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »
Anyone thinks the Karma is annoying and serves no purpose?

I find it rather amusing but it doesn't serve acheive anything except perhaps put off people saying their mind if they feel they are in the minority (which may of course be the silent majority) for fear of being smitten

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »