April 18, 2014, 02:33:44 AM

Author Topic: Mico Focus on the 5D Mark II...  (Read 915 times)

canon23

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Mico Focus on the 5D Mark II...
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,

So, I purchased the Sigma 35mm 1.4 a little over a month ago and shot w/it a couple of times, including assisting at a wedding a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed there were some off focus/inconsistent focusing issues.  So I sent it in to Sigma out on Long Island to have a look.  I am told byt the service technician he doesn't find anything wrong w/the lens and asked me to provide some photos of my concerned issues.  I did.  After which, he said: "From these photos it looks like the camera is slightly back focusing the lens, the micro focus feature of the camera should correct this." 

Has anyone ever had to mico focus their camera w/this lens?  Or any other lenses?  I believe the 5D Mark II settings can remember up to like 99 different lenses/mico focused settings right?  I have never had to Micro Focus on my camera so not sure how simple or different it is.

Thanks!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

Mico Focus on the 5D Mark II...
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Mico Focus on the 5D Mark II...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
I'd recommend buying Reikan FoCal - it's the easiest way to do an AF Microadjustment, IMO.

The 5DII can store values for up to 20 lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon23

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
Thanks Neuro.  Now a follow up question...which do you use or recommend:

FoCal Standard, FoCal Plus and FoCal Pro?FoCal comes in 3 different versions:

•FoCal Standard offers basic Semi Automatic functionality. Click here for more information
•FoCal Plus offers Fully Automatic calibration at the touch of a button. Click here for more information
•FoCal Pro gives you everything – all the analysis information, reports, lots more tests and more! Click here for more information
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
I'd get the Pro version, Plus at a minimum.  On the 5DII, fully automatic testing actually works - you can set it up and walk away (on the 5DIII/1D X/6D, you have to manually change settings on the camera).  But to me, the extra tests are very useful for characterizing performance of your camera and lenses.  For example, if you buy a new lens, or drop a lens but it 'appears fine' you can test to determine if it's performing well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »