August 30, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Author Topic: Timeline for S95 successor + accessories  (Read 4564 times)

gridmonkey

Timeline for S95 successor + accessories
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
Hi all,

I'm in a quandary with regard to the S95 successor.  It looks like it will be announced in mid-September.

I need a camera, plus a housing suitable for diving (along the lines of the WP-DC38) in time for my vacation on Sep 30.

I really hate to fork over my hard-earned cash on an S95 if it's going to be replaced by a new model in a matter of days... But I'm guessing the new camera + case will not be widely available in time for my trip.  Am I wrong?

Once the announcement hits, how long do you suppose it will take for these items to make their way to retail?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:08:12 PM by gridmonkey »

canon rumors FORUM

Timeline for S95 successor + accessories
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline for S95 successor + accessories
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
There is no S95 replacement, only rumors.  No one knows, so you can not get a answer that is certain.  You can buy a refurb S95 (if you are in the USA) at the Canon outlet.  Then, if a new one arrives later this year, your value won't tale a big hit.  Don't expect a S95 replacement to be much different.

markIVantony

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
Also, if you buy the S95 now and keep it in good condition, you can sell it if/when you later upgrade.

gridmonkey

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
There is no S95 replacement, only rumors.  No one knows, so you can not get a answer that is certain.  You can buy a refurb S95 (if you are in the USA) at the Canon outlet.  Then, if a new one arrives later this year, your value won't tale a big hit.  Don't expect a S95 replacement to be much different.

Oh I realize nothing is certain, but if the rumors don't pan out then my course of action is dead obvious---I pick up the S95 + housing on Sep 25 and go on my merry way.

So assume for the sake of argument that the rumors are true and the announcement is coming mid-September.  From what I can tell, when the S95 was announced last year it looks like people got a hold of it pretty quickly (within about a week).  I'm just wondering if that's typical for Canon.  Also I have no idea how long it takes for the new housings to show up at retail.  If anyone could take an educated guess I'd be much obliged.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »