September 20, 2014, 04:08:43 AM

Author Topic: Digital Rev quick 2.0.2 autofocus speed test  (Read 6096 times)

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Rev quick 2.0.2 autofocus speed test
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »
Perhaps dtaylor should make a video of the new firmware to show us how he thinks it should be done. ;D :o 8)

I probably wouldn't bother with a video. I would describe the test in sufficient detail so that it could be reproduced, and report the results.

Of course my goal would be accuracy, not entertainment and YouTube views.

You do have a point, it wasn't the most technical of tests. However, my point still stands: none of the other cameras tested had any such AF quirks whatsoever, even under the same exact circumstances (barring any conspiracy theories that such footage was withheld, of course ;) ). The fact of the matter is that its AF ability is much improved after the recent firmware update, and it is good enough for everyday shooting (as he concludes at the very end of the video), but it still lags behind the current mirrorless offerings in functionality, as most reviews out there have conceded. Period.
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »

dtaylor

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 02:00:56 AM »
You do have a point, it wasn't the most technical of tests. However, my point still stands: none of the other cameras tested had any such AF quirks whatsoever, even under the same exact circumstances...

No, your point doesn't stand because it was not the exact same circumstances.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 03:12:22 AM »
Perhaps dtaylor should make a video of the new firmware to show us how he thinks it should be done. ;D :o 8)

I probably wouldn't bother with a video. I would describe the test in sufficient detail so that it could be reproduced, and report the results.

Of course my goal would be accuracy, not entertainment and YouTube views.

That's a pity, because here you are complaining about a video review that has had over 75,xxx views on YT and was created by a channel that has over 690,xxx subscribers, and you aren't even prepared to do a video review so we can all learn how one should be done to your high standards.

Purely from an educational perspective, it would be interesting to see if your accurate review draws the same conclusion as Kai's, and if not, what your conclusion is.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 03:36:26 AM »
You do have a point, it wasn't the most technical of tests. However, my point still stands: none of the other cameras tested had any such AF quirks whatsoever, even under the same exact circumstances...

No, your point doesn't stand because it was not the exact same circumstances.

Great rebuttal ::) I'd ask if you care to elaborate, but I am now realizing that no matter how many people appreciate and agree with his sarcastically witty review, they will all be wrong in your eyes because such a conclusion would then somehow invalidate your purchase? That's just silly.

Try not to take such offense to comments on the internet, especially when those comments are clearly meant to help others, and not meant as a personal attack on those who disagree. You've acquired a good camera that happens to have a few flaws. So what. It's just a tool after all, it's how you deal with its limitations that counts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:58:55 AM by bleephotography »
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 03:36:26 AM »