October 20, 2014, 08:36:00 PM

Author Topic: Digital Rev quick 2.0.2 autofocus speed test  (Read 6344 times)

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Rev quick 2.0.2 autofocus speed test
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »
The order of fastest focus speed was and is correct:
1. Olympus
2. Fuji
3. Canon

I'm not debating that or referring to it. I'm referring to the difficulty getting it to focus at all while he groans in the background. "What, is that not enough contrast for you???"

Whatever...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:22 PM »
I don't understand your hostility, you can clearly see his testing procedure whilst he was doing it.

And I can just as clearly see the room for human error. Hence the "hostility."

Would you rather he lied and said it functioned flawlessly without any hiccups?

I'd rather he test like an adult.

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
I don't understand your hostility, you can clearly see his testing procedure whilst he was doing it.

And what exactly is wrong with the room? The other cameras tested were subjected to the same environmental variables, yet they didn't exhibit similar, or any, focus inconsistency for the matter. Sure, his sarcastic attitude isn't for everyone, but it is what keeps his continued subscribers coming back as it is a refreshing and relatively witty approach to the usual monotonous review. To each his own, I suppose.
70D  |  40 STM  |  60 Macro  |  17-55  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  Extender 1.4x III  |  PCB Einstein

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »

Um..then perhaps you should not frequent Digital Rev...the whole point is that Kai is campy...
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »

Um..then perhaps you should not frequent Digital Rev...the whole point is that Kai is campy...

I would not describe Kai as "camp".  I think his videos are refreshing and entertaining.

Michael Mcyintyre (spelling!) is camp, but he is one of the funniest comedians in the world, and is happily married with kids etc.

Kai also got some points spot on:

1) He predicted a sale on the price of the M
2) The focus is not very good but is better than before the firmware update
3) It is suitable for everyday shots.

1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
Why I bought M:
1. $299 - for crop sensor + 22mm f2 prime. Can't beat that
2. Will be used for still shooting

Don't expect too much from $299 camera. Faster focus will be in next version(s). Start your saving NOW, you looking @ $1300-$1500ish.
I expect EOS M II to catch up with the competition and not beat it. If they price at 1300-1500, it would be awesome. So, all one need to do is just sit tight and wait retailers to offload their unsold stock for $300 again.
Fortunately, Fan boys don't generate profits for Canon, otherwise all their products would be priced 5X higher.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:16:02 PM by comsense »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
And what exactly is wrong with the room? The other cameras tested were subjected to the same environmental variables, yet they didn't exhibit similar, or any, focus inconsistency for the matter.

* He put the target in front of a window. If the AF point of any camera is not precisely aligned it can jump between target / window / background. First major sign that whatever his skills as a photographer, he lacks the knowledge and attention to detail to setup and perform valid, repeatable tests.

* It was pretty obvious that the camera distances / positions were not precisely maintained between tests.

* He made no effort to ascertain if the M's failure to acquire focus was due to human error, camera malfunction, or was an accurate discovery of a weakness. He just rolls his eyes and whines "IIITTTT'SSS CR@@@PPP!!!"

* He did not test equivalent lenses on the bodies. Pancake lenses are typically slower to focus on any system. He tested pancake against zooms. If I test a Canon 300mm f/4L IS USM against an old Nikon 300mm that relies on the body AF motor, is it a reflection of the body AF subsystem speed or the lens?

He acted and tested like a child. I'm not hostile towards him. I'm just calling it as I see it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
He acted and tested like a child. I'm not hostile towards him. I'm just calling it as I see it.

DigitalRev episodes are for entertainment, with some good, practical information shared in many of them. If you're looking for well designed, repeatable tests with detailed analysis...there are plenty of options for that elsewhere.

This is similar to someone watching Top Gear when trying to decide which car to buy. It's not meant to be serious, and if you watch it expecting it to be, you'll likely be disappointed.

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

DigitalRev episodes are for entertainment, with some good, practical information shared in many of them. If you're looking for well designed, repeatable tests with detailed analysis...there are plenty of options for that elsewhere.

This is similar to someone watching Top Gear when trying to decide which car to buy. It's not meant to be serious, and if you watch it expecting it to be, you'll likely be disappointed.

Awesome! That's been my way of describing digitalrev to people top gear of cameras. That's why I watch both shows!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »

I dont get it... Who cares? Are you offended by it? Did his videos mislead you into buying something that you didn't have completely accurate knowledge of?  Did you watch all 10+ minutes and still not manage to allow your adult mind to interpret humor and stop taking his statements at face value? ... are you new to the internet?
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »

* He put the target in front of a window. If the AF point of any camera is not precisely aligned it can jump between target / window / background. First major sign that whatever his skills as a photographer, he lacks the knowledge and attention to detail to setup and perform valid, repeatable tests.

* It was pretty obvious that the camera distances / positions were not precisely maintained between tests.

* He made no effort to ascertain if the M's failure to acquire focus was due to human error, camera malfunction, or was an accurate discovery of a weakness. He just rolls his eyes and whines "IIITTTT'SSS CR@@@PPP!!!"

* He did not test equivalent lenses on the bodies. Pancake lenses are typically slower to focus on any system. He tested pancake against zooms. If I test a Canon 300mm f/4L IS USM against an old Nikon 300mm that relies on the body AF motor, is it a reflection of the body AF subsystem speed or the lens?

Thanks. That about sums it up for me. I'd liken it to having the Three Stooges show up at my house trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner.

If this "man" came to my office and made a sales presentation (He does work for a company that sells equipment.) like this, I'd toss him out the front door -- fast and hard enough to make sure he bounced a couple of times.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
Thanks. That about sums it up for me. I'd liken it to having the Three Stooges show up at my house trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner.

If this "man" came to my office and made a sales presentation (He does work for a company that sells equipment.) like this, I'd toss him out the front door -- fast and hard enough to make sure he bounced a couple of times.

He'll leave you with a red ring if youre not careful.

And if a sales guy tried to make videos on the internet, he would also fail miserably... Good point though
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
I'd toss him out the front door -- fast and hard enough to make sure he bounced a couple of times.

Make sure you get it on film! Just maybe not with a M as it might not be quick enough to get it all in focus!

DigitalRev has over 6XX,XXX youtube subscribers, that's pretty good in my book, and his videos are far more entertaining - and informative - than some of the drivel on the net.

Perhaps dtaylor should make a video of the new firmware to show us how he thinks it should be done. ;D :o 8)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
Perhaps dtaylor should make a video of the new firmware to show us how he thinks it should be done. ;D :o 8)

I probably wouldn't bother with a video. I would describe the test in sufficient detail so that it could be reproduced, and report the results.

Of course my goal would be accuracy, not entertainment and YouTube views.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »
This is the dingbat you've been talking about for two pages!  ;D

World's First Canon 300mm L Lens Cup (real L lens!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »