October 01, 2014, 08:39:29 PM

Author Topic: Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?  (Read 8406 times)

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Thornmill Images
Re: Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm guilty of having 3 Colin Prior prints on my walls but the more I look at them the more I feel good landscape photography is "simply" having patience to wait for the right light. Nice if you have the freedom to wait for days at a time but for the rest of us it's a case of "I'm here now and have to move on shortly".  Cue the hate mail to say I'm oversimplifying it  ::)

Now portraits, that's the real trick. Who was it said a good portrait is worth three biographies? To capture the true character of a person (either well-known to only you or a megastar) is real photography.

Grab yourself books from these people for inspiration:

Yousuf Karsh
Anton Corbijn
Patrick Demarchelier
Jeanloup Seiff
Herb Ritts
Andy Gotts
Uli Weber
Ross Halfin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:36:55 PM by GuyF »

Jan van Holten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.natuurfotografiejan.nl
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
Nature and wildlife photographer Vincent Munier. Besides a friendly modest frenchman who speaks english, he is often pushing boundaries. 

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
Anton Corbijn
http://www.corbijn.co.uk/

#1 Anton is the top of my list too.
#2 Annie Leibovitz
#3 Dan Winters
#4 Richard Avedon
#5 Herb Ritts

Just throwing out my top 5.

lightcick

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
Sebastiao Salgado. Keyword: human dignity.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
When I look for inspiration I often find it in the stunning images produced by the winners of dpreview challenges.

Rarely has a BIG name created as much of an impression as the passionate work of talented, and sometimes just lucky, amateurs.

Thanks for the lighting tips, Scott Kelby.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
One of my favorite photographers with nature as his field is the Norwegian Ole Jørgen Liodden. The picture blow is probably one of my all time favorites.

http://www.gdtfoto.de/content/bild.popup.php?lang=de&bild=13192781281_l.jpg

For those interested, you can see more of his work on his page:

http://www.naturfokus.com/
1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
Ansel Adam for his technique.
HCB for his instinct.
Robert Doisneau for his snapshots.

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
Admiration for a number of photographers, doesn't mean to me influence though.

Steve mcurry is an admiration, but so is miss aniela to a degree too, I like some of her work.

Influence by the likes of josef koudelka, partially people like Michael David Adams and other less known.

jointdoc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
Sam Abell

He is a great teacher and has been inspiring to me.  His work is quiet and complex.  He shot for National Geographic for over 30 years and now does workshops, mentoring, and publishes books.  He is old school and does not crop his images or use Photoshop.  All his work in full frame in camera.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:27:04 PM by jointdoc »
Canon 5D MkII; Canon T2i; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 40 f/2.8; EF-S 18-135; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon 2x Mk. III T.C.; EF 100 f/2.8 macro; EF 16-35 f/2.8L

paul13walnut5

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
I'm guilty of having 3 Colin Prior prints on my walls but the more I look at them the more I feel good landscape photography is "simply" having patience to wait for the right light. Nice if you have the freedom to wait for days at a time but for the rest of us it's a case of "I'm here now and have to move on shortly".  Cue the hate mail to say I'm oversimplifying it  ::)

Now portraits, that's the real trick. Who was it said a good portrait is worth three biographies? To capture the true character of a person (either well-known to only you or a megastar) is real photography.

Grab yourself books from these people for inspiration:

Yousuf Karsh
Anton Corbijn
Patrick Demarchelier
Jeanloup Seiff
Herb Ritts
Andy Gotts
Uli Weber
Ross Halfin

Had a look at some old favourites today and found some new favourites in this thread, keep 'em coming.

I agree that landscape is a lot about the waiting for the light, what makes Colin Prior so worthy in my opinion is his fieldcraft and the sheer weight of the kit he takes up the hills with him.

Colins work never fails to inspire (along with Joe Cornish) although the impact has been dulled slightly by the copycats.

Anyway, LOVING, this thread.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
Many great name thrown here that I could have quoted but I'll add 2:

- Lewis Hines for the social aspect of his photography which remains very graphics. If I could achieve one thing with photography I hope it'd be 21st century Hine's in asia.

- Actually not a great photographer per se, the works of hunter S Thompson is very interesting. I just got my hands on a photographic biography of him.
http://www.amazon.com/Gonzo-Hunter-S-Thompson/dp/0978607600/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373938077&sr=1-2-fkmr3&keywords=hunter+s+thompson+photographic+biography
Actually if anyone has a true "Gonzo photographer"name, I'm interested.

Could be many more (kerterszc!)...maybe later.

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 05:16:17 AM »
Had a look at some old favourites today and found some new favourites in this thread, keep 'em coming.

I agree that landscape is a lot about the waiting for the light, what makes Colin Prior so worthy in my opinion is his fieldcraft and the sheer weight of the kit he takes up the hills with him.

Colins work never fails to inspire (along with Joe Cornish) although the impact has been dulled slightly by the copycats.

Anyway, LOVING, this thread.

It's more than just waiting for the light I.M.O, like you say his fieldcraft and planning, revisiting sites on multiple occasions if necessary to check the direction of lighting , which obviously changes at different times of the year, working out the optimum dates and times to photograph a location, and the endurance to travel and linger in some of locations in some of the conditions he does- snow, wind, bitter cold, ascending and descending mountains in snow and darkness, is dedication.

Some years ago when I was doing photography as a A level at college (a course I'm sorry to say I never completed- I loved the practical elements- going out to locations, taking pictures, developing and processing in the darkroom- but the critique of others work didn't hold the same interest and in the second year we got a new tutor, who was considerably less amenable than the previous one, so I dropped out), I came across a book by Faye Godwin- 'Our Forbidden Land' documenting the impact of humans and people like the MOD on the landscape. It was fantastic- have you ever come across it?
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 05:16:17 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »
No, but I will have a wee google.  Wasn't knocking Colin Prior at all (as I'm sure you know the context of my reply)

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 05:24:26 AM »
No, but I will have a wee google.  Wasn't knocking Colin Prior at all (as I'm sure you know the context of my reply)

Not suggesting for a moment that you were- it was more of a response to GuyF's earlier comment about landscape photography being mostly about waiting for the light- which of course it is, but there is much more to it than just that.

I must try to get hold of a copy of that Faye Godwin book- it was mostly (if not entirely) black and white. Excellent stuff.

EDIT: Spelling error on my part- it's Fay Godwin.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:27:36 AM by insanitybeard »
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 05:24:26 AM »