November 25, 2014, 07:54:25 PM

Author Topic: What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?  (Read 25476 times)

Rams_eos

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
Hi,
I was wondering if you could give your opinion on that? ???

On one side, the 6D is a full frame. The life of such products is around 3 years (on average) until now.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html

But on the other side, Canon seems to consider the 6D as a consumer camera.
Marketing, button layout, build quality, fps, SD card, same level of CPS support than APS-C, and so on are not definitively on the pro side.
“the EOS 6D is truly the Full-Frame DSLR camera for everyone.” From canon’s website.

So roughly, my question is?
Will the 6D last at least 3 years or will it be renewed every year (like rebel/XXXD) ?
Thanks to share your ideas.

canon rumors FORUM

What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »

northbyten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
I reckon 18 months.

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
2-3 years would be my guess.  To me its a similar level camera to the 7D and that is over 3 years old.  I don't think the refresh cycle will be anywhere close to the Rebels.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
I hope to get many years out of mine.  Most likely, I will sell it when a future 'improved' model comes out (Maybe 2 or three years).  For me, I'd like a model that has improved image IQ at high ISOs and more crosstype AF points, but my cut off point for a body is around $2,500.  It's not like I 'need' to replace it in 2 years, I just like new gadgets.  I really love my 6D.  I need to focus on upgrading my lenses. ;D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
To the OP: In asking this question, is it to determine whether the 6D is worth owning for you?

Given Canon's history of introducing new full frame cameras, but taking into account the lower price segment of this new class of full frame cameras...my guess is at least 24 months.  If this were 2010 rather than 2013, certainly it would be 36 months or more.  It really all depends on what Nikon does, and to a lesser extent, Sony.

The rebel series all sell for $1k and less, and are thus updated more often.  The updates they usually get are not major.  The rebels are meant to be a compromise, entry level camera.  The 6D is meant to be a compromise full frame entry level camera.

The question is, does the market want a "bare bones" autofocus on a full frame camera?  Has the Nikon D600 outsold the 6D?  I've not seen any official sales figures from Canon or Nikon, and they might not ever release them for specific bodies.  The aggressive price drops recently of the 6D, might be an indicator of poor sales, or it might be an indicator that Canon makes an incredibly high profit on this model, no matter how low the price goes.

Certainly the price of used 6D's is holding up, with the lowest on amazon marketplace currently $1624.39.  I paid $1760 for mine new in March from Adorama, four and a half months ago!

When the time comes, the 6D's replacement will possibly use the same image sensor, but using "digic 6" or "7".  Whether the autofocus sensor gets updated with just minor tweaks, or gets something higher in performance, is probably more due to whether the market wants a $2500 body rather than an under $2k body.  Time will tell, they will know what to build before then.  Certainly if the 5D3 does not get a major update before then, an amped up 6D definitely would cut into the 5D3's sales...especially if they fix the moire in the video of the 6D. 

So it seems to me the 5D3 would get some kind of update before the 6D does.  And Canon will not give the 6D line enough bells and whistles to displace the 5D line.  3 to 5 years from now, as the second update cycle approaches, it's possible the 5D and 6D lines would morph together into one....or not.   Just depends on what the market wants, and what other models or product lines are introduced before then. 

As for using the 6D for professional stills photography, I have found it works great.  At its fps, it does not need the faster compact flash media.  The files are usually just small enough to be dealt with.  Shallow depth of field files (often present in action shots) are often 20MB and smaller, RAW.  As jpegs they're obviously even smaller.

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
I reckon 18 months.

it´s not a xxxD.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
Interesting question. And frankly, I have no idea since the whole thing has mystified me from the start.

But I'm looking forward to answers, thank you.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
Anything with a shelf life should be stamped with a freshness date.

The new twinkies apparently have a longer shelf life, so I'd figure as long as they don't ship with the batteries IN the camera, they can sit there for a few good years, assuming the place doesn't get too hot.

:/
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
I would guess that the refresh cycle of most of Canon's non-rebel bodies will be determined more by when they release the new 0.18um process sensors rather than historical timelines. Presumably, the first will be released in the 7Dll. I can't imagine that a FF version would be too far behind. Since there have been rumors of some new EOS bodies being released in the near future, who knows which cameras will get the updated sensors first.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I have no idea of what I'm talking about...

BPLOL

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
No idea, but I believe we will see at least a new "big megapixel" FF camera, and a new 5D before we ever see another 6D.

The 6D doesn't look like a yearly Rebel. I imagine that if Canon released a new 6D every year, prices would drop very fast - and with added bells and whistles, a updated 6D would eat even more 5D sales (I now it's not on the same league, but hey, before the 6D if I wanted a FF camera the 5D was my only option). I expect two or three years.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
No idea, but I believe we will see at least a new "big megapixel" FF camera, and a new 5D before we ever see another 6D.

The 6D doesn't look like a yearly Rebel. I imagine that if Canon released a new 6D every year, prices would drop very fast - and with added bells and whistles, a updated 6D would eat even more 5D sales (I now it's not on the same league, but hey, before the 6D if I wanted a FF camera the 5D was my only option). I expect two or three years.

Glad to see someone else agrees with pretty much every point I made.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »
I know people who still shoot with the orig 5D and the 20D.  In the case of the former, sometimes they shoot professionally with it. If you are an event or pro photographer where your gear pays for itself, yeah I understand the upgrade cycle concern.  However for most other peeps, canon's release cycle is almost irrelevant.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:47 AM »
2-3 years would be my guess.  To me its a similar level camera to the 7D and that is over 3 years old.  I don't think the refresh cycle will be anywhere close to the Rebels.

The 6d won't be a very long life product: It's only rated for 150k shutter cycles, plus it has an outdated af system. Note while Canon is hesitant to annoy their premium and pro customers with obsoleting their cameras too soon, but the 6d is a consumer camera (fw/hardware feature set + only cps silver in the EU).

But in this special case my guess is that a replacement doesn't depend on Canon's schedule alone, but rather on the competition just like there wouldn't be a 6d at all if Nikon wouldn't have had thrown down the gauntlet with the d600:

The 6d is built to be further dropped in price a lot, as long as it goes on selling it won't be replaced, once Nikon releases a d600 successor or the 6d sales stall Canon will put a new af system in once the high-mp 5d4 has been released maybe in the end of 2014.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:47 AM »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 01:33:33 AM »
I would suggest that those who expect an early demise will be disappointed!! In terms of specs and actual use the camera punches well above its weight!! It is a great camera to use and produces great images, similar to what the 40D was!!

There is, in my opinion, a lot of unfair criticism from those who have eother not used the camera or simply don't know how to use it!!

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:43 AM »
I guess 2 years...  the theoretical cycle time of xxD's.
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:43 AM »