October 21, 2014, 04:27:52 PM

Author Topic: What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?  (Read 24614 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think will be the Shelf life of the EOS 6D ?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »
2-3 years would be my guess.  To me its a similar level camera to the 7D and that is over 3 years old.  I don't think the refresh cycle will be anywhere close to the Rebels.

Agree 2-3 years.  But just because there is a new model, does not mean the old model will stop working.  I have a 12 year old 500mm F4.  Still works great even though a newer model is out.  I used my 1D M4 for 18 months after the 1Dx was released.

So unless you need the latest model, don't worry about life cycle - if the new model has some feature you absolutely must have, then you can upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
So unless you need the latest model, don't worry about life cycle - if the new model has some feature you absolutely must have, then you can upgrade.

+1

I enjoy reading about the latest camera tech and ogling each new iteration of camera body (that's why I follow CR, after all), but it is important to keep perspective. I only buy new bodies every 3-4 years when I'm ready to "grow" into a new area of photography. I just bought my first FF camera (6D) because I wanted to explore portraiture and other subjects that benefit from shallow DOF. If I get more serious about event photography or wildlife I may eventually get a 5DIII or 1D, but why break the bank now?

Also my older cameras are still great tools, and the existence of newer bodies doesn't change that as RGF says. In fact I just got a 13x19 print from my old 20D + 17-40 into a highly competitive juried art exhibition, and that camera is still clicking away in the hands of my son who's starting out.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
2-3 years would be my guess.  To me its a similar level camera to the 7D and that is over 3 years old.  I don't think the refresh cycle will be anywhere close to the Rebels.

The 6d won't be a very long life product: It's only rated for 150k shutter cycles, plus it has an outdated af system. Note while Canon is hesitant to annoy their premium and pro customers with obsoleting their cameras too soon, but the 6d is a consumer camera (fw/hardware feature set + only cps silver in the EU).

But in this special case my guess is that a replacement doesn't depend on Canon's schedule alone, but rather on the competition just like there wouldn't be a 6d at all if Nikon wouldn't have had thrown down the gauntlet with the d600:

The 6d is built to be further dropped in price a lot, as long as it goes on selling it won't be replaced, once Nikon releases a d600 successor or the 6d sales stall Canon will put a new af system in once the high-mp 5d4 has been released maybe in the end of 2014.

I think the 6D has been a good seller, and have not seen any stats that say otherwise.  And again, I don't see its replacement coming earlier than 24 months after initial release.  As for the 150k shutter cycles...I thought it was only 100k.  Also thought 100k rating was average, and the only body that's rated for more than 150k is the 1Dx, is it not?  Pretty sure the 5D3 is not rated for more than 150k.  In any case, that's still a lot of cycles.  I don't go out and just hold the shutter down all day long, I only have like 7000 cycles on mine in 4 months, and it feels like I've used it a lot.

You're right about one thing, that Nikon's product release has a lot of impact on what Canon releases.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »
Thanks, and it shouldn't be "for a change"...my points are always valid...there...yes I did say that! 

Heh. I mean to say that we are, for a change, in agreement - unlike other times, when we argue  8).

If they want to turn a 6D2 into something very close to the current 5D3, and turn the 5D4 into an even higher spec camera...then they will know they're making the right call.  I just don't see that happening at all.

I see you point but there are other equally valid views as well.

Like I said, I'm waiting to see what happens to the 'entry level FF' concept.
Both Canon and Nikon will likely do some reshuffling of their FF lineups.
Just my opinion. We'll see.

Good point.  Canon might even bring out a full frame mirrorless to compete with Sony.  If it could use EF lenses without an adaptor, it seems like a viable option.  If it needed special lenses and an adaptor to use EF lenses, then maybe it won't happen.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
I think the 6D has been a good seller, and have not seen any stats that say otherwise.

Canon's interest in volume is secondary, as every company they're after profits. So the question is how far the 6d price drops after other enthusiast cameras with much better af are released (70d, 7d2) that also have good iq for most of us. If the profit margin becomes too small, they'll release a 6d2. They won't do it just for sticking a "new" badge on the 6d2 like the quick succession of Rebels though.

As for the 150k shutter cycles...I thought it was only 100k.  Also thought 100k rating was average, and the only body that's rated for more than 150k is the 1Dx, is it not?  Pretty sure the 5D3 is not rated for more than 150k.  In any case, that's still a lot of cycles.

Uhg, you're correct, the 6d has only a 100k rating, just like my 60d and the Nikon d600. I had 150k (like 5d3) in mind since I see the 6d as the "real" 5d2 successor which also has 150k... the 1d series have 200k or even 300k.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »

My overall impression is that the 6D is not selling all that well (unless discounted).
And despite having better specs, Nikon's D600 is not faring better either.

So, we'll see what happens to the so called 'entry level' FF category in 2015.
Canon might decide that it's better for them to sell a higher-spec'd 6DII for $2500 - rather than the 'entry level' 6D.

Yeah, both nikon and Canon I think are having a hard time with the price point on these.  I think the market has spoken in saying realistically these bodies should be at max $1800.  I am guessing both will be on a 2 year cycle (because their both entry level).  Nice side is it will give them a chance to give digic 6 a test run before they roll out the 6+ for the 5d/1d series bodies.

Part of me wonders about a faster upgrade cycle though, just because the target market is a market that likes new things...   Also,  I am betting both want to go on at least a 2 year cycle, but have a plan to make it a 1 year cycle if the other feels pressured to release a new one quick.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
I was going to ask the same... mine only shows the month, no year
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
Interesting question. And frankly, I have no idea since the whole thing has mystified me from the start.

But I'm looking forward to answers, thank you.

+1

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »
I think the 6D has been a good seller, and have not seen any stats that say otherwise.

Canon's interest in volume is secondary, as every company they're after profits. So the question is how far the 6d price drops after other enthusiast cameras with much better af are released (70d, 7d2) that also have good iq for most of us. If the profit margin becomes too small, they'll release a 6d2. They won't do it just for sticking a "new" badge on the 6d2 like the quick succession of Rebels though.

As for the 150k shutter cycles...I thought it was only 100k.  Also thought 100k rating was average, and the only body that's rated for more than 150k is the 1Dx, is it not?  Pretty sure the 5D3 is not rated for more than 150k.  In any case, that's still a lot of cycles.

Uhg, you're correct, the 6d has only a 100k rating, just like my 60d and the Nikon d600. I had 150k (like 5d3) in mind since I see the 6d as the "real" 5d2 successor which also has 150k... the 1d series have 200k or even 300k.

You'll find I'm correct about a lot of things...and don't compare 1.6x crop cameras to full frame.  The 6D's price on new units has fallen about as far as it ever will until its replacement is announced.  Used units still holding up well, as I have stated a few times.  If you start seeing a lot of used units in new condtion start selling below $1400, I will be very surprised.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
You'll find I'm correct about a lot of things

My, someone's take a lot of self confidence pills this morning :-> ... or do you have any professional/nda insight into Canon internals?

and don't compare 1.6x crop cameras to full frame.  The 6D's price on new units has fallen about as far as it ever will until its replacement is announced.

Big -1 ... it's dropping €25 every week and now reached nearly €1600, that's coming from €2100 at the start of the year when the 6d was just out. I'd wager the guess it will continue dropping like this to at least €1400 and Canon will still make a healthy profit looking at the build quality & components of the 6d.

Used units still holding up well, as I have stated a few times.

Same with 5d2, and that's discontinued - to me it seems L lenses and ff cameras simply have a high resale value, no matter what the current market position of new units is.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
You'll find I'm correct about a lot of things

My, someone's take a lot of self confidence pills this morning :-> ... or do you have any professional/nda insight into Canon internals?

and don't compare 1.6x crop cameras to full frame.  The 6D's price on new units has fallen about as far as it ever will until its replacement is announced.

Big -1 ... it's dropping €25 every week and now reached nearly €1600, that's coming from €2100 at the start of the year when the 6d was just out. I'd wager the guess it will continue dropping like this to at least €1400 and Canon will still make a healthy profit looking at the build quality & components of the 6d.

Used units still holding up well, as I have stated a few times.

Same with 5d2, and that's discontinued - to me it seems L lenses and ff cameras simply have a high resale value, no matter what the current market position of new units is.

Not sure I agree 100%, but mostly we agree.  I don't speak in terms of euros, or whatever that symbol is...I'm only familiar with prices I have seen in US Dollars.  I have no idea how the pricing is going in Europe, other than apparently the 6D has sold for generally a higher price than the Nikon D600 over there...as some of you have pointed out to me.

1600 euros, is like $2,200, is it not?  It would almost save you money if you just flew here and bought a US version, then flew home.  Well, maybe if you stowed away aboard a freighter ship or something!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
You'll find I'm correct about a lot of things...and don't compare 1.6x crop cameras to full frame.  The 6D's price on new units has fallen about as far as it ever will until its replacement is announced.  Used units still holding up well, as I have stated a few times.  If you start seeing a lot of used units in new condtion start selling below $1400, I will be very surprised.

You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things.  ;). Sorry, Star Wars marathon was on recently.

FWIW, it's current price is a couple of hundred dollars higher than it was a couple of months ago.

An even lower nadir would not come as a surprise to me, perhaps even before the holidays.  A crop user upgrading to FF means Canon profits from EF lenses bought to replace EF-S lenses
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »

You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things.  ;). Sorry, Star Wars marathon was on recently.

FWIW, it's current price is a couple of hundred dollars higher than it was a couple of months ago.

An even lower nadir would not come as a surprise to me, perhaps even before the holidays.  A crop user upgrading to FF means Canon profits from EF lenses bought to replace EF-S lenses

I was speaking about the recent low prices posted on CR from ebay sellers for supposed "new" units, in the $1500 to $1600 range (which is about 1000 euros or so...)  I paid $1760 for mine, new...but got a card and a small camera bag as part of the deal...so the total was $1790.

If you're saying we will see, for example either Adorama, B&H, or Amazon, selling a new 6D body by holidays 2013, for under $1500 US dollars...I will be surprised.  If that does happen, then it is likely there could be a short-lived swath of "used" units selling around $1400 or a bit under, in the months following (after they play with it a while and wait for the price on new units to climb back above $1700 or so).

Don't ever apologize to me for Star Wars quotes!!  "Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"  The answer is obvious, but he was illustrating a point...to not follow fools.

Apparently 2010 was a very kind year to you...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »

eha

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
  • The 6D's AF system is not old or bad in any way. I've used the 5D2 quite a bit, and the AF system of my 6D is simply much, much better. It's more responsive, faster and more reliable. Although it's not as good as the 5D3 or the 7D in most areas, it's leagues ahead of 5D2 which feels outdated.
  • The IQ of the 6D is at least as good as 5D3 (slightly less detail, but also slightly less noise).
  • The build of the 6D is at least as good as my 7D, and ergonomics are way better than the 5D2. It's just way more modern in every aspect. It's light and it still feels utterly solid. Bravo, Canon!
  • Wifi and GPS are very useful.
  • The silent mode is really great!
  • It has interchangable focus screens!
  • The camera is a joy to use. Extremely reponsive and fast. Great value and leagues ahead of 5D2.

These are facts that spec nazis will never understand.

Shelf life? Pfft. Happy picture taking :)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
The only thing I want to improve in 6D is to have at least a 9-11 pts all cross type AF with -2EV sensitivity (or 19AF which maybe is too much to ask for?), 8 bit channel read (I envy what ML might do with a 70D) and compact flash card instead of SD.  I can still wait a little bit for the next generation 6D since I don't trust 1st generations that much.   8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »