August 20, 2014, 04:59:59 AM

Author Topic: A New Flash by Years End? [CR2]  (Read 7858 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: A New Flash by Years End? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 01:13:54 AM »
It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!

I really don't keep fully up to date on the third party flash wars nowadays and whilst I was very interested in the Phottix Odin system to drive my fleet of 550EX flashes, a flash I used with Yongnuo RF-602's for years and still consider to be a better buy than third party ETTL optical compatible flashes, I was seduced by the 600EX-RT's and haven't looked back.

I suppose cracking the camera flash control menu firmware from a post 2012 body isn't too complex, but even if/when they do, I don't see the triggers being anything like the bargain priced accessories we currently see. Which puts getting the trigger and the resale value of your 580EX close to the rebate price of the 600, when Canon really cash in with a 450EX-RT the third party market for RT compatible triggers will become even smaller.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 01:13:54 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 09:25:55 AM »
I don't see the triggers being anything like the bargain priced accessories we currently see.

Looking at the price of the current YN proprietary triggers, there shouldn't be much of a price difference for the rt version - it's rally just some cents of electronics in a plastic casing, they don't even have the lcd display of the st-e3.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
I don't see the triggers being anything like the bargain priced accessories we currently see.

Looking at the price of the current YN proprietary triggers, there shouldn't be much of a price difference for the rt version - it's rally just some cents of electronics in a plastic casing, they don't even have the lcd display of the st-e3.

That would be a fair comment if cost per unit had nothing to do with perceived value per unit. Do you really think a YN-622 costs anywhere near four times as much to make as an RF-603? An RT YN-642 trigger would cost appreciably more than the 622, even if i was only £20 more that still takes it to £100 for wireless control of one flash, hardly the budget option that the RF-602 got us into at $25 a set.

If they didn't do the LCD it would be considerably less attractive, the ST-E2 doesn't have one so the 622 doesn't need one, but the RT system has much more functionality and digging through the camera flash menu becomes a chore with all the enhancements.

The way I see it whilst some people will always be excited at saving a few hundred dollars (or a hundred quid or so) once people start using the stuff and limitations start showing up then people see less value in third party, no new RT system option will be cheap and whereas with the current third party radio ETTL control that offers something Canon never did, going against direct competition with less functionality, as opposed to no competition with enhanced functionality, seems to make little sense to me.

But as I said, I have been wrong many times before.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »