July 28, 2014, 05:06:23 AM

Author Topic: Is the EF-S 35mm f/1.8 coming?  (Read 17726 times)

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Is the EF-S 35mm f/1.8 coming?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
What is the point to make new EF-S lens??? Would be much better to renew EF 35mm f/2

The point is that EF lenses are wasteful for crop cameras. EF-S can be made much smaller and cheaper. Just think of the G12 with its 28-140/2.8-4.5 lens and think how big it would be if the lens had to be EF compatible. More extreme, but same thing.

Currently, the only EF-S prime is the EF-S 60/2.8 macro. I'm sure high-quality EF-S primes in a small form factor would find its audience. Most dSLRs are not FF anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:18:45 AM »
Currently, the only EF-S prime is the EF-S 60/2.8 macro. I'm sure high-quality EF-S primes in a small form factor would find its audience. Most dSLRs are not FF anyway.

I would guess that Canon sells more of any single current Rebel model than all of the current non-Rebel bodies combined.  So, as Canon develops new lenses, they have two distinct groups of customers they are designing for - 'Rebel owners' and 'everyone else'.  I think that in general, prime lenses do not appeal to the 'typical' Rebel owner, unless it's billed for a specific purpose like the 60mm macro lens.  Therefore, I don't expect to see new EF-S primes coming out - they'll release consumer-level zooms for the Rebel owners, and EF (mostly L) lenses for the 'everyone else' group.  The other factor is that I'd venture to say that many in that 'everyone else' group with an xxD or 7D body dream/hope/plan to get a FF body at some point, further reducing the interest for EF-S lenses in that customer group. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TBenson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »
  I'm saving my pennies for a 35mm prime and have been looking online for deals.  (A 100-400L in July ate my entire yearly hobby budget.) Over the last month or so, the EF 35 f/2 lens seems to have gone out of stock at two retailers.  One can hope that the current supply is dropping because a new lens is in the works.  With newer camera models able to record video, but not able to autofocus well while recording, one can also hope that all future lenses will have decent manual focus rings and distance scales.

The two specialty EF-S lenses that I own (60mm macro and 10-22mm) work VERY well and are smaller/cheaper/lighter than comparable EF lenses would have been.  But the existing 35mm f2 is already small/cheap/light so I don't see why a new lens at that focal length would be EF-S.

franky03

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
But the existing 35mm f2 is already small/cheap/light so I don't see why a new lens at that focal length would be EF-S.

It is small but not that cheap (350$) the Nikon sells for 200$ !!!
The Nikon is also slightly faster (f1.8 ) and has rounded blades (the Canon has only 5 blades ... so you get pentagons instead of nice round bokehs)

my 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:43:38 PM by franky03 »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
I don't buy the "no market" statement for an EF-S normal prime.  Whilst this is obviously Canon's belief, or they would have already produced one (crop frame sensors have been out for a decade), the fact that virtually every other manufacturer makes one should be a give away (unless there is something different about Canon shooters).  By many accounts the Nikkor 35mm AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G sold very well when it was first released and I think it is still a very attractive lens. 

Think of it in another way, how many rebel owners buy the EF 50mm f/1.8?  Whilst this has a function as a portrait lens, many users complain that it is too long for indoor use.  Surely an  equivalent in the 28-35mm range would therefore sell equally as well? How is it that Nikon can produce such a lens (complete with an ultrasonic motor) for not much more than the kit lens and less than the inferior Canon EF 35mm f/2?

The availability of this lens and the even better Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G (sharper and without the fragility of the equivalent EF 50mm f/1.4) is what tempts me to switch brands far more than any body does.  I'm sure that the 35L and 50L are excellent, but they cost more than a brand switch and are both relatively big and heavy. 

Canon are ignoring the middle of the market at their peril.  The "average rebel buyer" that Neuroanatomist describes is also the kind of buyer who is happy with just the kit lens (or maybe just adds the EF-S 55-250mm).  The rapid growth that has characterised the lower end of the market is starting to slow with both market saturation and the emergence of the mirrorless alternatives.  Future growth is most likely to come from the middle, the very people that Canon seems to have stopped making lenses for! How many mid-market lenses have they released in the last three years? I can think of only one, the EF-S 15-85mm (two if you count the better-late-than-never and under-specced 18-200mm). 

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
Therefore, I don't expect to see new EF-S primes coming out - they'll release consumer-level zooms for the Rebel owners, and EF (mostly L) lenses for the 'everyone else' group.

Sadly, I think you're right. I hope you're wrong, though.

franky03

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
Thank you Traveller!!!
You summed it up very nicely!!!
;)
Please everyone! Email Canon about this if you care... that's what I did.
Although I doubt that my single letter will change anything, if they receive a couple thousands maybe it will!
Here was their answer:

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital Camera.

It is only through our customers comments and suggestions that we are able to manufacture quality products that our customers will be able to use on a consistent basis. The fact that you took the time to write to us is indeed appreciated. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded  to the appropriate Department for their information and review.

In addition to the EF 35mm F2 lens, we also manufacturer an EF 35mm F1.4L USM lens for your consideration. I have included a link below for you to review, which outlines this product.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=2274

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,

Mike B.
Technical Support Representative
Customer Information Centre
Canon Canada Inc."

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:48:55 PM by franky03 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »

match14

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
If an EF-S prime is coming then it should be a 30mm f/1.4 ;) not a 35mm f1.8 >:(

franky03

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »
If an EF-S prime is coming then it should be a 30mm f/1.4 ;) not a 35mm f1.8 >:(

That would be nice but would the price be right?
The 35mm f1.4 sells for over 1500$ ... that's almost twice of my T2i body!!!

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »

That would be nice but would the price be right?
The 35mm f1.4 sells for over 1500$ ... that's almost twice of my T2i body!!!

I don't think they could realistically charge more than $500 for a non L wide prime, especially if it was EF-S.  If EF, there is no way it would be faster than f/1.8, it would make no sense on Canons part. But if EF-S, there could at least be a shred of hope, as being EF-S would prevent a majority of cannibalization of 35/1.4L sales.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »

An f/1.4 lens would be quite a bit more expensive than an f/1.8 lens: compare the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 (O.K. the Sigma has better build quality as well). 

Canon should be aiming for the $185 price point of the Nikkor rather than the $440 price point of the Sigma.  A Canon EF-S 35mm should be a 'no brainer', i.e. if you want a normal prime, you'll buy it on the spot.  At $185 most would be willing to give it a punt, but $440 will always beg the question "but do I really need it?"

Edwin Herdman

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
I don't think they could realistically charge more than $500 for a non L wide prime, especially if it was EF-S.
Unless said prime was the MP-E 65mm...this seems like nitpicking, to be sure.

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »
Thank you Traveller!!!
;)
Although I doubt that my single letter will change anything, if they receive a couple thousands maybe it will!

If you want to make a difference you should use Google Translate and send off a letter to Canon Inc. in Japan...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »

Edwin Herdman

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
Thank you Traveller!!!
;)

If you want to make a difference you should use Google Translate and send off a letter to Canon Inc. in Japan...
It might end up as an April Fools' announcement, but hey...worth a shot I guess.  My Japanese isn't near good enough to write any letters, alas!  (Not that I'm putting an emphasis on it right now; I'm pretty sure they look at letters as just one person's viewpoint, where they might be more interested if tons of people are sending those letters.)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
I don't think they could realistically charge more than $500 for a non L wide prime, especially if it was EF-S.
Unless said prime was the MP-E 65mm...this seems like nitpicking, to be sure.

I'm not sure what the next level beyond nitpicking is, but I don't think you can call the MP-E 65mm a wide prime, can you?

However, I will pick another nit with bvukich and point out that the EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye is a non-L wide prime (the widest, in fact), and Canon does charge more than $500 for that lens. 

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »