December 22, 2014, 10:09:55 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D3 at airshow  (Read 31680 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D3 at airshow
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
Say, how did the pilot get the F18 at 45 degrees at tree top level?

Afterburner + the F-18's still-remarkable high-AOA performance ;-)

Jim
Wow! Almost looks like a stall!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »
Some shots from the shoot - the 5D3/70-200 f2.8L II/2X TC combination worked really well - all shot using my gimbal mount too.

Great Scott! I mean, great shots, Scott!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Snaps

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 11:46:01 PM »
I am taking my 5D Mark III to an air show in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone recommend the optimal camera settings to use?

Lens on my 5D Mark III will be a 70-200 f2.8LII with either a 1.4X II or 2.0X III TC.

I will be photographing both prop aircraft and jets and the camera will be tripod mounted on a gimbal mount.

I would have thought of using centre sport AF with 4 or 8 point expansion but it was recommended to me to use the full zone AF (All of them) and let the camera track the planes through the entire AF zone - this will make it easy to get and keep an AF lock on an aircraft.

Any advice on metering modes, shutter speeds, etc. is appreciated.

For jet aircraft, faster shutter speeds are a must. I'd recommend 1/500 sec or faster. For prop aircraft, you can get away with 1/500 sec, but I prefer from an artistic standpoint to really show the props moving, so 1/250, 1/160 sec are good for those. I also use AI-Servo mode when shooting, and of course shoot in burst mode. Remember, that shutter button is your friend.  :)

I have never really bothered much with the metering modes, so I would just leave them as is. But I would also like to recommend using all your AF points, seeing as it makes it much easier for your camera and lens to focus. Also, you won't really need your tripod, especially if you're trying to get shots of the aircraft in the air.

Other than that, just practice, practice, practice.  ;)
7D | Rebel XSi | Fujifilm X20 | EF-S 10-22mm | EF-S 60mm Macro | Sigma 30mm F1.4 | EF 70-300mm L | Helios 44-2

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »
If I didn't want a gimbal before, I surely do now!

Jim

A few people don't like them, but I was one of two photographers there on the day using a gimbal and it was much easier than hand holding the lens.
get is balanced and positioned properly and you will have no problems tracking the aircraft either.

Looks like I was the "other" photographer with a gimbal at East Fortune!

5D3 and 500mm f4 IS mk2.

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon 5D mark 3 with various L lenses
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
If I didn't want a gimbal before, I surely do now!

Jim

A few people don't like them, but I was one of two photographers there on the day using a gimbal and it was much easier than hand holding the lens.
get is balanced and positioned properly and you will have no problems tracking the aircraft either.

5D3 and 500mm f4 IS mk2.

Were you the guy to my left with the black lens and gimbal mount?

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »

5D3 and 500mm f4 IS mk2.

I really like the one with the afterburner and the heat wave in the grey sky.  8)

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
Scott,

Black lens?  :o That sound like a Nikon thing. The 500mm I was using is white all the way through. I was standing just at the corner of the Concorde hanger next to a bloke who was also using a gimbal.

Looks like it will be the last Leuchars show in a few weeks. So far the only thing of interest is the Viggen. Dunno if I can be bothered paying £30 plus travel costs etc. just to see that. Quite a bit of the proposed display was at East Fortune so would probably just get more pics of the same - how many pics of a Jet Provost does a man need?

Liked your pics though.

Guy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 03:43:12 AM »
Scott,

Black lens?  :o That sound like a Nikon thing. The 500mm I was using is white all the way through. I was standing just at the corner of the Concorde hanger next to a bloke who was also using a gimbal.

Looks like it will be the last Leuchars show in a few weeks. So far the only thing of interest is the Viggen. Dunno if I can be bothered paying £30 plus travel costs etc. just to see that. Quite a bit of the proposed display was at East Fortune so would probably just get more pics of the same - how many pics of a Jet Provost does a man need?

Liked your pics though.

Guy.

I was further across from you, in the middle of the grassy section.
I do remember seeing a rather large Canon lens at the corner of the main hangar so there must have been more gimbals there than I thought  :)
Great pics mate - with the 500mm you can get right in close.
Best display for me was the Typhoon - very disappointed with the Hurricane display - all high altitude stuff and he didn't give us a decent topside run past.

I really want to go to Leuchars but I have an appointment in Glasgow that night and 7:30pm and would need to get to it, so it's touch and go for me.
Worth going to get some shots of the Vulcan though - and there are lots of Typhoons up there too.
Lancaster and Spitfire coming as well so might be worth the trip.
Just need to find out the flying times and when stuff is displaying to see if I can go or not.
Getting away from Leuchars is a nightmare too - major traffic jams!

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »
Worth going to get some shots of the Vulcan though - and there are lots of Typhoons up there too.
Just need to find out the flying times and when stuff is displaying to see if I can go or not.

Hi Scott
Couldn't agree more about the Vulcan, used to see them when they were current(ish) flying over Cumbria during our holiday visits!
Absolutely awesome, especially the noise when at full power! No smiley with his fingers in his ears?
Saw her at Goodwood a while back, will be a sad though somewhat inevitable day when she finally retires.  :'(
I may have to find a show with Typhoons unless they are the modern Euro fighter, no real interest!
Any Phantom F4's flying air shows in UK, would love to see one of those too.
Some really nice shots there too Scott. Thanks for showing us.

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:21 AM »

Hi Scott
Couldn't agree more about the Vulcan, used to see them when they were current(ish) flying over Cumbria during our holiday visits!
Absolutely awesome, especially the noise when at full power! No smiley with his fingers in his ears?
Saw her at Goodwood a while back, will be a sad though somewhat inevitable day when she finally retires.  :'(
I may have to find a show with Typhoons unless they are the modern Euro fighter, no real interest!
Any Phantom F4's flying air shows in UK, would love to see one of those too.
Some really nice shots there too Scott. Thanks for showing us.

Cheers Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the very nice comments about the pics - much appreciated  :)
You should try and get up to Leuchars - it's a great day and lots of photographers are there for some banter.
They are trying to raise money to keep the Vulcan flying until 2015 - it had reached end of life this year but a wing modification will keep her going another couple of years.
After that they will have exhausted the supply of spares and she will be grounded permanently.
With this possibly being the last Leuchars this might be the last time she will display in Scotland, so worth the trip for that alone.
No Phantoms in the UK unfortunately - last ones I seen flying here were German and they have just retired.
Cheers
Scott

CanonCurious

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
Scott and Guy - Really enjoyed both of your shots.

I've shot a lot of airplanes and airshows and I'll add my two cents to the slower shutter speeds on prop driven aircraft camp. Stopping the props is not technically wrong, it is an aesthetic choice, I just prefer the look of a blurry prop and sharp airplane.

Attached air-to-air image was shot on film (Velvia). Remember film? :)

On metering, I'm a careful person so I will use handheld incident, handheld spot and yet still double check with what I'm seeing from the camera. And that, for airshow stuff, would typically be some sort of center weight.

Roger Jones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
Great stuff in this thread, GuyF and SJL, your work is stunning. CanonCurious your shot is amazing. What great color!

CanonCurious

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »
Great stuff in this thread, GuyF and SJL, your work is stunning. CanonCurious your shot is amazing. What great color!

Thanks Roger. Good old Velvia! That was a Florida sunset which was pretty spectacular too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »

millan

• Power Shot G7X
  • Photography is a kind of magic...
    • View Profile
    • mm.art.photo
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
Being at the air show the first time, I wanted to try this kind of photo genre. The longest focal length I had available was 200 mm, which is on FF in my opinion too short. Anyway, I attach some of my first attempts :-)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:07:16 PM by millan »

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
Scott and Guy - Really enjoyed both of your shots.

I've shot a lot of airplanes and airshows and I'll add my two cents to the slower shutter speeds on prop driven aircraft camp. Stopping the props is not technically wrong, it is an aesthetic choice, I just prefer the look of a blurry prop and sharp airplane.

Attached air-to-air image was shot on film (Velvia). Remember film? :)

On metering, I'm a careful person so I will use handheld incident, handheld spot and yet still double check with what I'm seeing from the camera. And that, for airshow stuff, would typically be some sort of center weight.

Awesome. That's a beautiful shot Sir! Well done.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »