October 21, 2014, 09:33:02 AM

Author Topic: Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?  (Read 1849 times)

JasonATL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
It appears that Lensrentals.com is transitioning their used gear for sale to Lensauthority.com. I asked Lensrentals.com about this and received an e-mail saying that they were transferring their used gear slowly to lensauthority.com.

This disappoints me, as I have bought a few used items from Lensrentals.com and been very pleased with their service and the quality of the used gear. I've also been a pleased customer of their rental business.

I know nothing about Lensauthority.com and their site has very little info about them as a company. My hope is that it is owned by Lensrentals and that they've started a new site to handle sales. This would lead me to expect the same good service and quality control. Does anyone know anything about Lensauthority? Who they are? Where they are located? What their reputation is?

canon rumors FORUM

Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »
Too bad.  The lensauthority.com website is devoid of company information beyond a contact email.  Their terms seem the same as lensrentals (3-day inspection period, 90-day warranty).  Similar information about the specific lenses, too.  So, could be them.  Domain name is registered by proxy, whereas lensrentals.com lists the business and Roger as contacts.

Time will tell...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Fuzzy Caveman

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
LensAuthority is owned by Roger. I was actually wondering what it was. He mentioned it in either a blog or interview, but said nothing about it.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
I knew about this a long while ago, but wasn't allowed to say anything. It is definitely LensRentals.com. I haven't seen a press release as of yet, hopefully soon.

The Logo should be Lens Authority with a "by LensRentals.com" underneath.
canonrumors.com

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
I suspect that this will allow LR to focus on rentals.  Sales of used equipment can take time and focus away from the rental business.  Better to get a fixed price, now, for the used equipment and move on.  I suspect that this is easier at tax time too.  Then LA can sell the used equipment.

In the end, I suspect this is due to accounting tricks and tax savings.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Its likely just for book keeping, selling lenses and renting lenses are two different business activities and accountants can do different write offs for the two activities.

Samir

• SX60 HS
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
haha. As much as I hate a plug it is good to finally know where all of that inventory ended up. I have been looking at the lensrentals website for a few days. I thought they just had some type of inventory issue on their website. Now we know.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »

JasonATL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »
I'm glad to find out that it is owned by Roger. I suspected as much. I agree that it makes sense to separate the two. I'll start looking there for my used purchases.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »