August 28, 2014, 05:43:12 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 Stops  (Read 30484 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
Re: Magic Lantern Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 Stops
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »
I swear every thread turns into the same thing!

What exactly is ankorwatt trying to say? That we should all immediately go out and buy a D800? While we're at it should we all have the same hairstyles and wear the same clothes?

Haven't you heard of choice? We choose to shoot Canon because we like it.

Now, do you actually take any pictures with the D800 or what? Can you show us an example of when you needed the extra 2 or 3 stops? No really, I want to see. I have no clue what it looks like. I thought shadows were meant to be black, doesn't it look fake if they're not?

yes and I shoot also Canon because I like it, but as you  all can  se there are answers like above, when the benefits of 3 more stops of DR  are useful  ?????
It is always useful
WHY do YOU think Magic Lantern are trying to squeeze out a larger dynamic range

So, instead of providing an image to clarify you ask some vague question about MLs motives. Nice. I also couldn't care less where you work. I asked for an image that you took that needed 13-14 stops of DR. Quite frankly I am dissapointed. What if I was actually someone who cared? You let me down man!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »

Because they can! Rock on ML!
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »

What exactly is ankorwatt trying to say? That we should all immediately go out and buy a D800? While we're at it should we all have the same hairstyles and wear the same clothes?

Now, do you actually take any pictures with the D800 or what? Can you show us an example of when you needed the extra 2 or 3 stops? No really, I want to see. I have no clue what it looks like. I thought shadows were meant to be black, doesn't it look fake if they're not?

yes and I shoot also Canon because I like it, but as you  all can  se there are answers like above, when the benefits of 3 more stops of DR  are useful  ?????
It is always useful

So, instead of providing an image to clarify you ask some vague question about MLs motives. Nice. I also couldn't care less where you work. I asked for an image that you took that needed 13-14 stops of DR. Quite frankly I am dissapointed. What if I was actually someone who cared? You let me down man!

You're not the only one disappointed with him. He just likes to make silly statements like claiming that 3 stops extra is always useful. What daft rubbish. Clearly its not true.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »

It is always useful

You're not the only one disappointed with him. He just likes to make silly statements like claiming that 3 stops extra is always useful. What daft rubbish. Clearly its not true.

I'd extend that to be "3 extra stops is always useful for every kind of photography or subject man has or ever will conceive of". ;P No one will dispute the notion that more DR is always useful for some kinds of photography. Mikael's issue is that he insists on pushing that point at every single opportunity, regardless of the circumstances.

It should also be pointed out that Canon sensors are actually capable of similar dynamic range to other sensors. The issue isn't actually Canon's sensors, the issue is really downstream sources of noise...the stuff inside their DIGIC chips. The banding noise is added later, after the sensor has been read, while the analog signal is converted to a digital signal. It is actually possible to reduce that banding with good tools. Nik Dfine 2 can do a moderately good job, Topaz DeNoise 5 can do a very good job. Even if you leave some banding behind in order to avoid softening detail, it is possible to recover a good stop or two of dynamic range, even from a crappy Canon sensor. Since photographic DR has a lot to do with the tolerances of the photographer, it's a difficult thing to nail down...but for those willing to spend a little time, a lot of DR can be recovered with Canon sensors (even without the ML hack.) That is another point that Mikael simply refuses to ever acknowledge when he brings up the D800 and its DR, but one that is rather important.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2013, 03:09:44 AM »
Oh look! ankorwatt is telling us again how all photographs ever taken across all time need more dynamic range then you get from a crappy Canon sensor. Because Nikon has more dynamic range. Like, a thousand stops more. Infinity+1.

Glad I didn't miss that. I needed my daily reminder.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
Q: What time is it in Stockholm?
A: The D800 has better DR, Canon's sensor sucks.[/i]
Now that caught me off guard and made me burst into laughing  ;D  ;D  ;D

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »

Because they can! Rock on ML!
That and because anything better would be better... Did I just say that??  :D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:30 AM »
Oh look! ankorwatt is telling us again how all photographs ever taken across all time need more dynamic range then you get from a crappy Canon sensor. Because Nikon has more dynamic range. Like, a thousand stops more. Infinity+1.

Glad I didn't miss that. I needed my daily reminder.

when are you going to understand that Canon does not make crappy sensors???????????
like cars, there are better motors
And Im not telling everyone they need more DR , IM SAYING THERE ARE ONLY BENEFITS WITH GREATER DR like a better lens etc
You  have serious problems with admitting that Canon is not the best in sensors making.The sensor question  seems to create a  big Canon trauma for some of you
Im lucky , I have both and more systems and use them as a tool and I can se pro and cons from all

you are having both systems, and with your more than 30 years of experience... but still shoot like crap.  i CERTAINLY suggest you to get POINT AND SHOOT camera to save money  ;D

"like cars, there are better motors"... true... let say that you are giving a lamborghini to a normal person and a bmw to a real racer to race on public highway... who win?  see how stup*d your statement is   :o

note:  this is a message from newbie...  i think you DO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ADMITTING YOUR CRAPPY SHOTS...  you talk a lot but your skills are s*ck...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:51:31 AM by ishdakuteb »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »
More belaboring ... more childish behavior. I've come to expect that though!

I just wish the mods made the "ignore" module of the forum a bit better.   
Light is language!

MarcPool

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »
More belaboring ... more childish behavior. I've come to expect that though!

I just wish the mods made the "ignore" module of the forum a bit better.
+1000

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »
If you have nothing new to offer!

I have had my own company since  1984
I think I have both the experience and knowledge so it is enough
working a lot in both USA/Canada and the rest of the world and got paid for my crappy shoots
and you?

good for you and since you are travel a lot for work, especially in U.S. also, i personally challenge you on photography techniques (a hobbyist who do not get paid with less than 2 years of experience in using slr v.s. a person get paid with almost 30 years of experience in slr)

with your experience, i expect you were shooting 35mm film a lot and your exposure must be greater than mine (yeah yeahh... just a thought only and i bet you wish).  to be fair, i will cover my LCD VIEW with black tape, so yours during shoot out with different lightings... including using flash (direct, bounce, on camera)... and see who get better images...  i am PRETTY SURE that i am not better than anyone in this forum but YOU, ANKORWATT)

getting paid does not you are taking good images... do not believe it, send me your 5 best images... i will ask a well known pro to critique your image... is that fair....

LET ME KNOW IF YOU TAKE THE CHALLENGE (thought that i have requested this for almost a year)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »

working a lot in both USA/Canada and the rest of the world and got paid for my crappy shoots
and you?

good for you and since you are travel a lot for work, especially in U.S. also, i personally challenge you on photography techniques (a hobbyist who do not get paid with less than 2 years of experience in using slr v.s. a person get paid with almost 30 years of experience in slr)

with your experience, i expect you were shooting 35mm film a lot and your exposure must be greater than mine (yeah yeahh... just a thought only and i bet you wish).  to be fair, i will cover my LCD VIEW with black tape, so yours during shoot out with different lightings... including using flash (direct, bounce, on camera)... and see who get better images...  i am PRETTY SURE that i am not better than anyone in this forum but YOU, ANKORWATT)

getting paid does not you are taking good images... do not believe it, send me your 5 best images... i will ask a well known pro to critique your image... is that fair....

LET ME KNOW IF YOU TAKE THE CHALLENGE (thought that i have requested this for almost a year)

You should know a lost cause when you see one!
Light is language!

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2013, 01:05:45 PM »

and you?

You should know a lost cause when you see one!

affaid that i am loosing for him... no, i will not since i have benefit of getting correct exposure... one of which i have been learning and analyzing non-stop in the last 2 years (almost) after getting off from work, including weekend...

Hill Benson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
Hey everyone.

I wanted to ask a newbie question about this new Magic Lantern Developed "DUAL ISO" tech.

Using this setting for stills, does it take more than one exposure and then combine them (like HDR) or does it only require one actuation of the shutter?
Box Brownie 2AL

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
It requires ONE actuation only. The resultant .CR2 file is processed via a program named cr2hdr.exe and produces a DNG file.