October 21, 2014, 11:57:58 AM

Author Topic: How to program shift the EOS M  (Read 2877 times)

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
How to program shift the EOS M
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
I was shooting in P mode and wanted to shift the exposure reading to get diff DoF but can't seem to find an easy way to do it.  In order for it to work, I need the shutter half pressed   and while the AE info is shown, I can turn the dial.
The av an tv values will shift but it so hard to do unlike in dslr body where you use the wheel by the shutter button.

There must be an easier to do this without reselecting AV from the menu again if all I wanted is a diff AV value.
Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

canon rumors FORUM

How to program shift the EOS M
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: How to program shift the EOS M
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
???

P mode means the camera chooses the aperture and shutter speed for you. When you turn the dial in P mode, you're applying exposure compensation, and actually, the camera will decide whether to shift aperture or shutter speed (usually it shifts both if you apply 2/3-stop or more).  A Canon dSLR behaves the same way in P mode.

If you want to use the dial to change aperture, that's Av mode. Select Av from the menu and leave it there. You pick the aperture you want for DoF, the camera picks the shutter speed (and ISO if that's set to Auto).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »
Or 'M' (manual) and you can change both independently.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
Or 'M' (manual) and you can change both independently.

Yep. I often use my 1D X in Av with a minimum shutter speed.  Since that's not an option on the EOS M, I usually shoot in manual mode, set the shutter speed I need to stop motion, then adjust my aperture for DoF and let Auto ISO handle the exposure.

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »
???

P mode means the camera chooses the aperture and shutter speed for you. When you turn the dial in P mode, you're applying exposure compensation, and actually, the camera will decide whether to shift aperture or shutter speed (usually it shifts both if you apply 2/3-stop or more).  A Canon dSLR behaves the same way in P mode.

If you want to use the dial to change aperture, that's Av mode. Select Av from the menu and leave it there. You pick the aperture you want for DoF, the camera picks the shutter speed (and ISO if that's set to Auto).

Are you referring to turning the wheel thingy beside the shutter button (dslr)? If I turn than in P mode in my t2i it will shift the exposure reading.  It will be the same exposure but the camera will assign a new combination of av and tv. So if you shift AV a stop smaller, then the camera will slow down Tv 1 stop.  Now not quite sure this exactly what happens if Iso is set to auto.  I can confirm when I get back home and play a little.  But if ISO is set to a fixed value, I'd expect the behavior I described.

This is a trick I do to alter dof when in P. I do shoot in av too but in this case I was in P while using the M.

Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
???

Are you referring to turning the wheel thingy beside the shutter button (dslr)? If I turn than in P mode in my t2i it will shift the exposure reading.  It will be the same exposure but the camera will assign a new combination of av and tv. So if you shift AV a stop smaller, then the camera will slow down Tv 1 stop.  Now not quite sure this exactly what happens if Iso is set to auto.  I can confirm when I get back home and play a little.  But if ISO is set to a fixed value, I'd expect the behavior I described.

This is a trick I do to alter dof when in P. I do shoot in av too but in this case I was in P while using the M.

It actually works in the M as I described but very hard to do. Half press the shutter and when focus and exposure is confirmed, turn the d pad wheel and you will see the Av and Tv value shift. The shutter must be half pressed while you turn the wheel and that what makes it almost impossible to do. You have to use 2 hands! On the dslr the confirmed exposure info stays on the vf or lv longer and gives you time to lift your index finger off the shutter and use it to turn the small wheel to shift the calculated exposure.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »
???

It actually works in the M as I described but very hard to do. Half press the shutter and when focus and exposure is confirmed, turn the d pad wheel and you will see the Av and Tv value shift. The shutter must be half pressed while you turn the wheel and that what makes it almost impossible to do. You have to use 2 hands! On the dslr the confirmed exposure info stays on the vf or lv longer and gives you time to lift your index finger off the shutter and use it to turn the small wheel to shift the calculated exposure.

Why don't you just use Av mode to start with? I don't really understand why you want to control aperture in P mode. The entire point of P mode is to let the camera control things for you and keep your job as simple as possible. What you've described sounds convoluted enough to entirely defeat the point of P mode, such that it sounds more difficult to use than full blown manual...

Sorry...just rather confused by your statements and in regards to what your actual goal is...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
Sorry...just rather confused by your statements and in regards to what your actual goal is...

+1

If controlling DoF is your goal, that's Av mode. If controlling subject motion is your goal, that's Tv mode. If full control is your goal, that's M mode. If letting the camera make the decisions for you is your goal, that's P mode.  P mode is a small step from green square mode - my 1D X lacks the latter, and it'd be fine with me if it had no P mode, either.

Sounds like your EOS M should be in Av.

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »

+1

If controlling DoF is your goal, that's Av mode. If controlling subject motion is your goal, that's Tv mode. If full control is your goal, that's M mode. If letting the camera make the decisions for you is your goal, that's P mode.  P mode is a small step from green square mode - my 1D X lacks the latter, and it'd be fine with me if it had no P mode, either.

Sounds like your EOS M should be in Av.

I understand the confusion that this may have caused. In this particular shooting situation I was in P which is sufficient most of the time for what i shoot.  And in the M live view I can easily see the dof and I  needed more depth in this particular case.  In a dslr (t2i) I could just program shift to adjust it without going out of P and turning into Av mode and recomposing. I just need to turn that wheel. I was just surprised how more difficult it was in the M and was hoping there was an easier way that I did not know off.  So I just have to live with this little inconvenience.

Btw I am really enjoying this little camera right now. My t2i has not come out of the bag for a while now. Well worth the $299!

Thanks

PhotoAviator

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • markamos.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »
I agree with the opinions expressed above that another metering mode may be more appropriate, but there is a solution to the OP's question.

Program shifting is available with the wheel in P mode as long as the metering values are displayed; the shutter does not have to remain half pressed. Just half-press the shutter to initiate metering, release, and then turn the wheel to shift the program. I just confirmed this works regardless of whether the shutter release half-press is set to AF or AE lock via custom function IV. You can also change how long those metering values are displayed with the "Metering Timer" setting (4 sec - 30 min).

Exposure compensation is only controlled by the wheel after the right pad button has been pressed, displaying the green arrows on either side of the exposure compensation scale.

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
I agree with the opinions expressed above that another metering mode may be more appropriate, but there is a solution to the OP's question.

Program shifting is available with the wheel in P mode as long as the metering values are displayed; the shutter does not have to remain half pressed. Just half-press the shutter to initiate metering, release, and then turn the wheel to shift the program. I just confirmed this works regardless of whether the shutter release half-press is set to AF or AE lock via custom function IV. You can also change how long those metering values are displayed with the "Metering Timer" setting (4 sec - 30 min).

Exposure compensation is only controlled by the wheel after the right pad button has been pressed, displaying the green arrows on either side of the exposure compensation scale.

I actually checked my metering timer and it is set to 16 sec.

I tried the scenario again without half pressing the shutter. The exposure values disappears very quickly. However when I tried to turn the wheel, the values actually shifted (even if not displayed)  ;D ;D  You can only see the new values after half pressing again, unlike in VF where they are always seen. So all is well, as long as metering has been completed you can shift any way you want.

Any chance there is an option to have the live view exposure info stay longer on the screen ?    ::)

thanks

PhotoAviator

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • markamos.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
Ah, I understand the confusion now. Press the "Info" button twice to cycle the display mode. It's a tradeoff; you'll have more stuff cluttering your display, but the metering values will be displayed for the entire 16-sec period.

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
Ah, I understand the confusion now. Press the "Info" button twice to cycle the display mode. It's a tradeoff; you'll have more stuff cluttering your display, but the metering values will be displayed for the entire 16-sec period.

Thanks PhotoAviator ! Still getting used to using LV  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »