November 27, 2014, 11:23:14 PM

Author Topic: Where is my backordered EOS-M w/22 STM lens?  (Read 5472 times)

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Where is my backordered EOS-M w/22 STM lens?
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
I ordered at B&H Photo just as these went on backorder.  The expected availability date was 7/18.  Checked today and now 7/25.  I ordered on 7/7.  I think BH should have provided some explanation why the date was pushed out and whether I should have any degree of confidence that I can get one.  Is the goal to get me to cancel my order so they can sell it for $50 more?  I am starting to think I will never get the camera and lens at this price. 

canon rumors FORUM

Where is my backordered EOS-M w/22 STM lens?
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my backordered EOS-M w/22 STM lens?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
You can buy it from Amazon right now for $299: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Compact-Systems-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B008NENG1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374073246&sr=8-1&keywords=eos+m+22mm

It keeps going out of stock, then coming back - so you might want to hurry if you're going that route.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
I ordered at B&H Photo just as these went on backorder.  The expected availability date was 7/18.  Checked today and now 7/25.  I ordered on 7/7.  I think BH should have provided some explanation why the date was pushed out and whether I should have any degree of confidence that I can get one. Is the goal to get me to cancel my order so they can sell it for $50 more?  I am starting to think I will never get the camera and lens at this price.

I'm sure thousand CR members got their M @ $299 through BH. I doubt BH is trying to get $50 more out of this. Just stay cool.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
I ordered at B&H Photo just as these went on backorder.  The expected availability date was 7/18.  Checked today and now 7/25.  I ordered on 7/7.  I think BH should have provided some explanation why the date was pushed out and whether I should have any degree of confidence that I can get one.  Is the goal to get me to cancel my order so they can sell it for $50 more?  I am starting to think I will never get the camera and lens at this price.

I've been paying attention to my B&H order too, and yeah, it's frustrating. I ordered the same kit on 7/5 when the expected availability date was 7/11. This was well before the $299 deal cutoff date of 7/9! I doubt there's anything nefarious going on here, just a delayed shipment from Canon. At least, that's what I'm hoping, because I already have the lens mount adapter. Patience is a virtue, as they say--but who in the hell are "they"?  ;)
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
If B&H hasn't cancelled the order then I'm not sure what you can blame them for. They don't have any control over when they get a shipment in. What about "expected" is confusing? As long as they are still committed to honoring the order at the price you were quoted, just sit tight.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
Lesson for the future: act fast!  The CR post indicated it was 'for a limited time'.  Sometimes these deals last only hours.  Personally, I ordered mine on 7/3, in the first couple of hours it was at that great price.  Then I ordered the mount adapter before the prices on those went up $40 and many vendors sold out anyway.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

blanddragon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
Just got an email from B&H that the EOS-M is discontinued:
Dear Customer

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Canon EOS-M Mirrorless Digital Camera with EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens - Black
(B&H # CAEM22)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
Pinhole camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »

Interesting.  The 18-55mm kits are still available...and in stock.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
I expect that B&H is waiting on Canon to deliver them, they are not purposely holding up your camera.  They were told that Canon had them in their warehouse, or that they were in transit, and quoted a normal arrival time.
Apparently other sellers took advantage of the Canon closeout and depleted the stock.  Hopefully, the order will be filled, but if Canon is out of them, and, as a new member noted, they are discontinued, you are out of luck, or maybe in luck, you might be able to negotiate to get a deal on the replacement model?

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »
Lesson for the future: act fast!  The CR post indicated it was 'for a limited time'.  Sometimes these deals last only hours.  Personally, I ordered mine on 7/3, in the first couple of hours it was at that great price.  Then I ordered the mount adapter before the prices on those went up $40 and many vendors sold out anyway.

Agreed - I ordered mine on 7/3 from B&H before it was posted here, it shipped that same day.

While B&H has been pushing out their shipment dates, Amazon has had the 22mm kit come in stock (and is currently) at least 4 different times, so there's no reason to miss out on this deal unless there's some reason you can't or won't order from them.

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that you cannot get the camera.  In this case, I'd recommend getting the 18-55 kit.  It works great and if you want the 22 pancake, there are tons of them on eBay for around $105.  Yeah it will be gray market but think about it ... so what? It is a fixed length lens with no IS so it has minimal things that can go wrong with it.  Add the knowledge that the US model sells for 2.5x times the price of these gray market version and the decision becomes rather simple.  Even if the lens did fail, you can buy another one and still be cheaper than a US purchased lens.  Heck, it is cheaper than the EF 50mm 1.8 mark II!
Good to have the warranty on a zoom lens with IS, i.e. the 18-55.  So, buy the available kit and a 22 on eBay.  Oh, and if anyone is interested, the Viltrox EF to EF-m adapter works well and of good quality, at least my copy.
http://www.viltrox.com/en/Products/Lens_adapter/2013/0330/44.html

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Dear Customer

(B&H # CAEM22)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

Did you actually order the camera? The line "You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available" says to me that you didn't. Therefore, your email means nothing to those of us who did order. The "discontinued" message (first with the white version) is popping up everywhere so that's no big surprise. What does bug me a bit, however, is that there's now no "expected availability" date for orders left to fulfill. Hopefully the 7/25 date is still a go...
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

lothar

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »
I ordered mine that same day.
2 days later, they were out.
I have to admit, I'm preferring the EOS M, over my S110, as much as I like the image quality of the latter!
Having a prime lens on it, makes me work on my composition, for a tighter shot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Dear Customer

(B&H # CAEM22)

I haven't gotten this email yet, but I'm afraid I will. Thanks for the Amazon link Swphoto, I just ordered it from there and waiting to cancel my B&H order until it confirms I'll get it. Unfortunately it'll be next Tuesday even with Prime shipping :(
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

aroo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »
I also ordered M + 22 on 7/7. Called B&H this morning -- they're waiting on new stock and it should ship in 5 - 7 more days. Did not say it was discontinued, rather just delayed. I can wait it out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »