August 22, 2014, 12:06:12 AM

Author Topic: Photographer Gets So Close to Lava That His Shoes and Tripod Catch on Fire  (Read 6521 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
If you read the update at the bottom, they used an accelerant to actually get ignition to flames. That's pretty crappy that it wasn't disclosed in the original. It's fine that they used it to get those shots, but it's that they didn't disclose that with the original photographs leading us to believe that it was natural combustion.

As a social Darwin-ish I would like to see other parts of him catch on fire before he has kids
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:58:51 PM by RGF »

canon rumors FORUM

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Wow...the crowd is certainly hard to please today. I think it is a very cool (pun intended) capture that he said on his website that he planned for several weeks. Look at his work on his site. Some really nice lava shots. Those places can be very dangerous ( tourists die there occasionally) and it really is so hot that your running shoes do begin to melt. He admits he is an amateur and wanted a stand out photo for his facebook page. I think he certainly got the fame he was looking for. It was not photoshopped and he admits he used lighter fluid for the flames.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

replay0

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
I got no problems with his stunt. It got the attention he was seeking. I see it kind of like how no one discloses all the post processing one makes to a photo to stand it out from the rest of the crowd (if a photo is not straight from the camera).

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
If you read the update at the bottom, they used an accelerant to actually get ignition to flames. That's pretty crappy that it wasn't disclosed in the original. It's fine that they used it to get those shots, but it's that they didn't disclose that with the original photographs leading us to believe that it was natural combustion.

As a social Darwin-ish I would like to see other parts of him catch on fire before he has kids
;D  ;D  ;D

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Wow...the crowd is certainly hard to please today. I think it is a very cool (pun intended) capture that he said on his website that he planned for several weeks. Look at his work on his site. Some really nice lava shots. Those places can be very dangerous ( tourists die there occasionally) and it really is so hot that your running shoes do begin to melt. He admits he is an amateur and wanted a stand out photo for his facebook page. I think he certainly got the fame he was looking for. It was not photoshopped and he admits he used lighter fluid for the flames.

Even if he is smart and did not hurt himself, his stunt will cause others, less educated, less well prepared, to hurt themselves.  In correct accelerant (e.g., alcohol burns very hot) could really cause someone to really burn themselves.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
He must have a special camera. He is looking through the viewfinder while Live View is on?

it's a touchscreen and he is using his nose.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
He must have a special camera. He is looking through the viewfinder while Live View is on?

it's a touchscreen and he is using his nose.....
Duh! I missed that. Now that you say it, I realise it was so obvious. ;D

canon rumors FORUM

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
Well that seems dumb to me. Reminds me of people who will do anything to get attention. I mean cant even wear proper clothing if u have to take a picture in that area? Its different if u go climb a mountain or do other extreme things and document it or if you just take a picture of urself risking ur health  for attention.

Joynt Inspirations

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
All for a cover photo …

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
And in the end, it is a staged photo, it is interesting, and it makes a point about the dangers of "extreme" photography. It's no different than national geographic renting "Bart the bear" for a photoshoot... Wait a minute, it is different, he told us it was staged and used accelerants...
The best camera is the one in your hands

shashinkaman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
 :) :D ;D  ??? :( >:(
Don't be such a Pixel Peeper!

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
AT
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »
I still like it and still think it is a "cool" photo. He lives there and knows the dangers. He didn't lie about the staging. About 20 years ago, my family and I ventured out to where the lava was pouring into the ocean at dusk (it's part of the Hawaii Volcanoes Nat'l Park).  There were about a hundred other people viewing it also. I saw the most amazing and beautiful glowing landscapes, but unfortunately, I was not into photography then so took no camera.
For those that worry about copycats getting injured....well, stupid is as stupid does. Some people try sky diving (a 30 yr old guy died here yesterday from trying it with a company that sells lessons). Some people run with the bulls in Spain and get gored. Some people walk across the Grand Canyon on a wire with no safety devices. To each his own.
Maybe he should have added the disclaimer "Don't try this at home". I've always thought that was ineffective, since many of the people that need that advice aren't smart enough to heed it. :)

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
And in the end, it is a staged photo, it is interesting, and it makes a point about the dangers of "extreme" photography. It's no different than national geographic renting "Bart the bear" for a photoshoot... Wait a minute, it is different, he told us it was staged and used accelerants...

Difference is that in telling us - he is inviting others to try the stunt and put their lives in danger.  Something like this takes lots of knowledge and planning (and a perhaps a bit of luck).  I am dreading to hear about the first copy cat who hurts themself

canon rumors FORUM

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Just think of all the charcoal grills being fired up with lighter fluid. Lots and lots of people burned...but they still sell grills and lighter fluid. ;D

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile

Difference is that in telling us - he is inviting others to try the stunt and put their lives in danger.  Something like this takes lots of knowledge and planning (and a perhaps a bit of luck).  I am dreading to hear about the first copy cat who hurts themself

What are your thoughts on this Canon commercial which played on TV over and over (I saw it many many times....BTW, I never was inspired to try any of that).

Canon commercial 2012 - "Inspired" :60 Small | Large

quote from Buzzfeed.com about this commercial....
"Pretty Much The Perfect Camera Commercial
What some people go through to get just the right shot.
A camera ad should be beautifully shot.
And this new spot for the Canon Rebel T4i does not disappoint.The scenarios are wonderful. (The closing burning tire shot is marvelous.) The attention to detail is wonderful. And, the tune (“Beautiful Dreamer,” sung Rachel Fannan of the band “Only You”) is wonderful.
It inspires pros and amateurs alike."

canon rumors FORUM