August 29, 2014, 06:36:54 AM

Poll

What upgraded feature would push you to get the mkIV?

Double the battery life?
1 (0.8%)
WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.
5 (4.2%)
120 double cross type AF points???
4 (3.3%)
2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities).
80 (66.7%)
A 32 megapixel sensor and a 50mb RAW file.
30 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: How much better would the 5D mkIV have to be for you to upgrade from your mkiii?  (Read 16972 times)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
5DIII is a great all-round camera, but of course I could be tempted to upgrade.
Smaller and lighter, improved DR and high ISO performance
Improved video performance with features like focus peaking, false color, really good AF.

To be honest, I'll probably add a crop body to my 5DIII, and/or C100 mark II if it's really good. Pretty happy with stills, but could use improvements in video area.

canon rumors FORUM

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Voted: 2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities). Others are not important to me.
Me too  :)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
- dual and FAST SD cards (get rid of this expensive stupid and outdated CF junk)

Allow me to politely disagree. If a 5D4 would come with SD card slots only, I would avoid it for that single reason, regardless of anything else.

Sorry for a lame "me too" post...  But yeah, me too.
How about dual CF cards ?   :)  :)

mingyuansung

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
I would like to see high ISO performance not just by software enhancement but physical sensor improvement. That will be hard probably. More highlight detail like 1DsII. Personally do not care too much about wifi or gps or video. How about a body can actually focus well when I use F1.2 without micro focus adjustment? Even with the current adjustment, I can adjust center point, then how about other focus point? I will use manual focus, yet the live view is slow.  As a non professional user, I might cut down my upgrade practice in the future since Canon never give us all they have. Canon is so smart at making money by giving us little by little.
5D3, 24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 L II, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.2 L I, 100 f2, 100 f2.8 IS L, 70-200 f2.8 IS LII

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
None of those things by themselves would be enough to motivate me to upgrade... in fact, even all of them put together probably wouldn't be enough.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
None of those things by themselves would be enough to motivate me to upgrade... in fact, even all of them put together probably wouldn't be enough.

same for me really. The 5D3 is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Improved IQ will always be welcome of course, and the improved ISO might be the most tempting. But I tend to use the 1Dx for that sort of thing.

Guess the 5D3 suits me pretty well and can do what I want. Maybe when I've had it a few years and feel I could make use of something better then I will look to upgrade.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Total package is key

Improve AF to match 1Dx, dual CF card slots, GPS would be nice,

Either high MP camera or better low light (min 2stops)

canon rumors FORUM

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
None of that.  I was superbly happy with the 5D2 except for the often flaky AF performance.  That was my sole driving decision in going to the 5D3 and boy have I ever been happy with it.  IQ and ISO performance are more than adequate for my tastes.  I was always hesitant to take the 5D2 up to ISO 3200 but don't even blink when shooting 6400 on the 5D3.  I love the menu interfaces and customizability of the buttons.  Accuracy of AI Servo mode compared to 5D2 is in a completely different universe. I'll shoot the 5D3 until it dies.

CANONisOK

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Where is the radio button for "it doesn't matter, i'm not upgrading"?

The only true limitation in my current setup is me, not my 5D3! I will happily skip whatever comes next and keep working on the true bottleneck.  ;)
5D mark 3: R14/2.8, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 50 1.2L, 100L macro, 85L, 135L, 300mm f/2.8 ii. 8-15L Fisheye, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L IS II, TAM 150-600mm,  2x600ex-rt
EOS M: 18-55mm, 22mm
SL1: 10-18mm IS, 18-55mm IS

steven kessel

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Geeze, I still haven't taken advantage of all of my 5Diii's capabilities.  I'm running the camera at about a 20k photos per year rate, so I guess I'll have to do something in 6 or 7 years.  Meanwhile, I'm good.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Voted: 2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities). Others are not important to me.
Me too  :)

Make it 5. Or wait, 10. The problem is, there is no room for more than 1 stop, unless the Bayer design is replaced by something else. Then maybe 2.

My answer is: 2 more stop of DR, and I will bite. Until then, I will keep shooting with my 5D2. I did not even bother with the latest 6D/5D3 deals which would allow me to upgrade at no cost, maybe even with a profit. Not that the 6D/5D3 are not better, just not better enough for me to bother (I do not shoot action).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:08:52 PM by Pi »

luciolepri

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lucio Lepri - Director and script writer
Lower red noise, improved DR and video performances (ML-style features, Vari angle LCD, Dual Pixel AF).
Global shutter would be great...
Since it should come out next year, I also wonder if new cameras will use the new H265 codec for video compression. It is claimed to be 5 times better than H264...

As far as stills are concerned, I'd really really like the evaluative metering to have a limit to the priority it can give to the zone where the AF sets the focus.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Mirrorless with 4Mp tilting EVF and better-than-III AF and near-silent shooting

Focus peaking

Same size as 6D

canon rumors FORUM

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

Focus peaking

Same size as 6D

Do you really think the mkiv is going to be a mirrorless camera?  I'm not asking you what you want in your next camera... which is what many of yall are answering... but what in the MKIV will drive you to replace it over the mkiii...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Focus peaking

Same size as 6D

The 6D doesn't feel as good as the 5D3 does in my hands, a personal opinion but I think most would agree. The weight is just right for most of the popular L lenses as well.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM