November 28, 2014, 02:33:29 PM

Author Topic: Prefer my 1D Mk III to 5D Mk III, dollar for dollar  (Read 5101 times)

Faxon

Prefer my 1D Mk III to 5D Mk III, dollar for dollar
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
I almost bought one of the fantastic bargain 5D's yesterday. I sat staring at the screen, watching the count go from 111 sold to 122 sold in a matter of minutes. I looked at the price. I considered the warranty question, and the missing lens not in the box. I almost bought one, knowing full well I could always have sold it for more.  I did not buy one. I considered the money I would still have. I thought about my 1D and decided, for my needs, I did not need a state of the art camera, although it would be nice. I am sure the new MkIII is a wonderful thing to hold and use. However, for me, my 10Mp 1D is fine. And I really enjoy using a pro body. So I passed, and let others buy one, or two or three for a quick profit. Maybe I should have considered the profit angle, but I didn't. Let's see how much time passes until we see a $2500 brand new 5D MkIII again. I am guessing Christmas.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:22:39 AM by Faxon »

canon rumors FORUM

Prefer my 1D Mk III to 5D Mk III, dollar for dollar
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Re: Prefer my 1D Mk III to 5D Mk III, dollar for dollar
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
I'm struggling to see the point of this post.   ???
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon_convert

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

He's talking to himself. lets not disturb him  ;)  :D
5D MkIII, 24-05, 50mm 1.4

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »

Lol agreed, I was expecting more of comparison versus a short rant. I guess good thing you didn't get a 5d3! Hooray!
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
You're all being too hard on him, I kind of see the point of the post.  However, the part about debating whether to buy a camera to only turn around and try to sell it again, seems more a waste of time. 

Faxon, if you're interested in buying and selling things for profit, I suggest you try trading stock equities.  They are very liquid, and it's very easy to make a profit, but also to lose money.  I've mostly lost money, but I stayed in it because I made so much money early on, back in 2004 to be precise.  Now I've decided I have to stay out for the foreseeable future, or until I start making more money...enough that I can afford to lose some!

As for your 1D3, I've never used one, but I did rent the 1D4.  I liked it a lot.  But not enough to buy a used one for over $3k.  It could not autofocus in low light.  The noise, in my opinion, is not that much worse than the 5D3's noise, but at lower ISO, the 5D3 has a bit more dynamic range.  The main difference is the full frame sensor, and being able to go very wide with wider angle lenses...along with a bit more image pixel resolution.

The 5D3's autofocus and ability to shoot RAW video (with the ML hack), are good reasons to buy a 5D3.  The 1Dx's autofocus still blows it out of the water.

It really depends on how often you shoot at 8 or 10 frames per second.  If you need to do that all the time, just save for a used 1Dx, or else a new one...or else possibly a 7D Mk2 (I've grown very uninterested in this one). 

I bought a 6D, and could not be much happier.  The autofocus can be weak at times, but it works reliably even in servo mode if you have good light.  The AF menu is highly tweakable.  I mostly don't shoot in multi-shot mode, but when I do, it works fine.  4.5 fps is very slow compared to 8 or more...but not so slow compared to 6 (as per the 5D3).  As for video, I don't shoot much, but have not excited the 6D's moire problem with what I've done. 

Faxon

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
Well, I guess my point went over your heads. I don't drive a fancy car, either. And I am sure many bought two to sell one on eBay. Understand now?

Faxon

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
And, until now, I kind a higher opinion of the folks here. Oh well, whatever. Bye.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
And, until now, I kind a higher opinion of the folks here. Oh well, whatever. Bye.

You seem to have ignored my thoughtful reply!!  Sheesh...

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »
Well, I guess my point went over your heads. I don't drive a fancy car, either. And I am sure many bought two to sell one on eBay. Understand now?

I think a 1D is still higher end than a 5D. It's like a 10 year old Mercedes S class verses a new KIA I mean that 10 year old Merc ain't too fancy anymore but it sure was he best you could get at one point. Prolly a good decision not to get the 5d3 you can prolly get one for 800 bucks in 10 years.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »

I think a 1D is still higher end than a 5D. It's like a 10 year old Mercedes S class verses a new KIA I mean that 10 year old Merc ain't too fancy anymore but it sure was he best you could get at one point. Prolly a good decision not to get the 5d3 you can prolly get one for 800 bucks in 10 years.

You're kidding right?  There is nothing at all better about the 1D3 than the 5D3.  In fact, it's all the opposite.  I can't think of one meaningful category where the 1D3 would be better than a 5D3.  Not even close.  Unless of course IQ doesn't matter, ISO performance doesn't matter, resolution doesn't matter, DR doesn't matter.  You know, the side issues.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »

Bye!
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
You're kidding right?  There is nothing at all better about the 1D3 than the 5D3.  In fact, it's all the opposite.  I can't think of one meaningful category where the 1D3 would be better than a 5D3.  Not even close.

Weather sealing? Durability? Framerate? Battery life?

I agree with you, the 5D3 is easily the superior camera, hands-down... but the 1D3 is a professional body and has a few things going for it too!

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »

Lol agreed, I was expecting more of comparison versus a short rant. I guess good thing you didn't get a 5d3! Hooray!

Im pleased to see there was no rant, we get plenty of them.

I think I get his point and I agree to a point. It's easy to get seduced by new kit and all the "features". But the old stuff is still pretty good and can still take damn fine shots. Having said that I don't agree with his conclusion, I have a 5d3 and am very pleased to have bought it, it gets a lot of use.

Shame the less than warm welcome seems to have put him off.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
I almost bought one of the fantastic bargain 5D's yesterday. I sat staring at the screen, watching the count go from 111 sold to 122 sold in a matter of minutes. I looked at the price. I considered the warranty question, and the missing lens not in the box. I Let's see how much time passes until we see a $2500 brand new 5D MkIII again. I am guessing Christmas.

How often do we see this type of post - don't want to pay @ retail price(from authorized dealer), but want Canon offers 100% warranty ::) ::) ::)

Just buy 1D Mk III  and be done with :-X
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

BozillaNZ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
It looks like the author really wanted to buy one but tried hard to talk himself out of it.

Just do what you feel like doing and be happy!

I'm a 1D3 owner too, I had many other camera bodies (yes that includes many FF bodies, in your face you FF lovers!) and this is the one I kept in the end. But it's not about money. I've spent many times as much as the camera body on filters, tripods, not to mention lenses! The camera body will be the last thing I consider upgrading.
Look ma, me cameraz can push shadow 10 stoops w/o noizes, OMGWTFBBQChickenwingHaxorz!!!11
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »