December 19, 2014, 04:21:25 PM

Author Topic: Bad Photography Rant  (Read 19569 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Photography Rant
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
How do we know if we're good photographers or not? I hate charging for shooting anything which is why I'll never be a professional outside of the place where I work (where I'm actually a professional photographer) Weird. Who can judge us and how much we're worth?

But even if we are a good photographer at one thing, it does not mean we are good at another. For instance, my work photography is documentation. I have lots of time to set up, to get angles right, to deal with reflections, depth of field, etc etc... I think I am good at it. Put me in a wedding and you are looking at a disaster. I have no idea what the flow should be, everything is too rushed and chaotic for me, I really don't like crowds, I don't know how I would handle the pressure..... it would not be good. (I have a lot of respect for good wedding photographers who can deliver quality out of all that panic)

On the other hand, I can float motionless in a canoe and slowly inch my way towards a turtle, or sit still until the ducks ignore me... a very valuable skill in nature photography yet completely useless for that wedding photographer.

My Dad was a police photographer. His pictures were technically perfect. Perfect exposure and focus. Family pictures looked like mug shots or a police lineup :)

General evaluation is not an easy task....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:19:29 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
The best way to evaluate a photographer is to look at their website or portfolio.  Any smart customer should be able to judge the quality they can expect from that.  Customers should also enquire at photo labs or camera stores who those people would recommend.  I work at a major Southwest US photo lab and customers regularly ask us for recommendations for a photographer.  Since most of the local pros use us, we can recommend two or three names who are ideal for the kind of shoot they are looking for.

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »
Can I suggest this website for a bit of a snigger about bad photography? http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

Superb! There is hope for us all!!!

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »
Can I suggest this website for a bit of a snigger about bad photography? http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

Superb! There is hope for us all!!!

Thanks for the link... the pictures inspire me to burn my copy of photoshop and has given me the confidence to shoot in manual focus with my glasses off...
The best camera is the one in your hands

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »

Thanks for the link... the pictures inspire me to burn my copy of photoshop and has given me the confidence to shoot in manual focus with my glasses off...

LOL, not to mention manual mode!
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
How do we know if we're good photographers or not? I hate charging for shooting anything which is why I'll never be a professional outside of the place where I work (where I'm actually a professional photographer) Weird. Who can judge us and how much we're worth?

But even if we are a good photographer at one thing, it does not mean we are good at another. For instance, my work photography is documentation. I have lots of time to set up, to get angles right, to deal with reflections, depth of field, etc etc... I think I am good at it. Put me in a wedding and you are looking at a disaster. I have no idea what the flow should be, everything is too rushed and chaotic for me, I really don't like crowds, I don't know how I would handle the pressure..... it would not be good. (I have a lot of respect for good wedding photographers who can deliver quality out of all that panic)

On the other hand, I can float motionless in a canoe and slowly inch my way towards a turtle, or sit still until the ducks ignore me... a very valuable sill in nature photography yet completely useless for that wedding photographer.

My Dad was a police photographer. His pictures were technically perfect. Perfect exposure and focus. Family pictures looked like mug shots or a police lineup :)

General evaluation is not an easy task....

This is so true.  Somehow I seem to do a good job with sports photography, but people think that means I can do other types of shooting as well, which is mostly VERY not true.  I spent a week in Yellowstone and didn't get a single decent landscape photo. 

My wife does some event photography and I tag along to play backup.  We get the pictures back and her's are "Wow, that looks like a great event!" and mine are "Look--people standing around."   >:(

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »
My opinion is that photography is an art form like any other—whether you're a graphic design, chef, photographer, painter, etc—what is "good" is subjective.  Often times a well-lit, perfectly exposed, nicely framed photo just happens to appeal to no one (even if the photographer loves it), while at the same time, a horrible instagram camera phone shot is made into prints and, receives a million "likes" and ultimately results in a year's salary for the owner...

Same goes for graphic design (that's my full-time job).  What I consider great, well-executed, functional design is almost NEVER valued by the client.  Because it's not what they had in their head before coming to you, even if it accomplishes their overall message/goal 100x as effectively as their stupid idea.  They end up paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that is BS and borderline embarrassing to put my name on.

But I guess my point is, that has taught me that just because I don't value something doesn't mean it's not valuable—and I don't feel as guilty as I did in the beginning.  On the same token, I don't feel as defeated when a client dislikes something that I love.  I think it's almost necessary to get to that point before you can start defining a style that meets your standards and also appeals to someone who doesn't necessarily care about the factors that define "good" by your peers in whatever art form you're doing.
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
Same goes for graphic design (that's my full-time job).  What I consider great, well-executed, functional design is almost NEVER valued by the client.  Because it's not what they had in their head before coming to you, even if it accomplishes their overall message/goal 100x as effectively as their stupid idea.  They end up paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that is BS and borderline embarrassing to put my name on.
Then you'll be pleased that the guys I linked earlier have a sister site called http://youarenotagraphicdesigner.com/

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
She could have looked at a portfolio.  Caveat emptor.  The buyer has all the power when the market is saturated with purveyors of this craft. 

I may do some sports photography here and there, and that can be a challenge because maybe the kid doesn't play that game or gets hurt early in the game.  So your time may be wasted, but I'd rather waste my time than offer a bad product.    But she could have done like most people buying images have done for hundreds of years and simply purchased the images she liked that were printed for her.  Then she pays $100 for good stuff... and not stuff that could have been done with... well... with inferior equipment. 

It's unfortunate, but she can do what all unsatisfied customers have done for thousands of years... and complain.  The CD and the images you provided me are awful.  I would like a refund.  Maybe she gets it... maybe she doesn't.  But it is important for the consumer to speak up. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »
there's someone locally who is taking wide angle infinite depth photos and then applying a soften filter around the person and saying that he/she is willing to photograph their senior photos or special events.  And the person is undoubtedly using their own kids as models... and these kids are not model level... and I'm not trying to be mean, because we all have to start somewhere, but this person is not only jumping the gun... they are jumping at On (for on your mark...)

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 04:36:19 AM »

There is hope for me yet!
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
I hate hate hate hate people that do exactly what I'm going to do next and obviously some bad karma is coming my way for doing this but...

I really really really worry sometimes about the standard of my photography and I get all nervous before shoots and worry if I'm really worth the modest price I sometimes charge for weddings and model shoots (free for friends, £200 for friends of friends, £400 for people I don't really know). I know a lot of people will have a go at me for "degrading the industry" but I'd rather help people out when they're not the most well off rather than lining my own pockets... It also gets me out of buying a wedding present.

With that said about my own feelings of photographic inadequacy I then come across this: http://www.yourclassicmoments.co.uk/

That makes me feel that I'm actually pretty ok: www.lewismaxwell.co.uk
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm 2.8 macro, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »

With that said about my own feelings of photographic inadequacy I then come across this: http://www.yourclassicmoments.co.uk/

That makes me feel that I'm actually pretty ok: www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

I concur with your assessment of  your classic moments.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
Then you'll be pleased that the guys I linked earlier have a sister site called http://youarenotagraphicdesigner.com/

LOL.. I saw that a long time ago but had forgotten about it.  This one's especially nice. 

5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
Folks, I think this 1st video (in a series definitely WORTH watching), pretty much explains it all, when you need to know what it takes to be a professional photographer:

MWAC Attack-Episode 1: The Camera

Remember, if you wanna be a "Pro", make sure and use the "P" setting on your camera, as that THAT is the professional setting on your cameras.

Of course, most all of the quality folks here on the list knows this already.

:)

cayenne

ps. Do make sure and give this whole episode a watch, and the next ones are pretty 'informative' too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »