April 18, 2014, 01:48:45 AM

Author Topic: Bad Photography Rant  (Read 14191 times)

wsmith96

• EOS M2
  • Advancing Amature
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Photography Rant
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »

With that said about my own feelings of photographic inadequacy I then come across this: http://www.yourclassicmoments.co.uk/

That makes me feel that I'm actually pretty ok: www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

I took your experience and decided to visit the classic moments site as well... and I agree with you that it makes me feel better.
Canon T1i | EFS 10-22 | EFS 17-55 | EF 50 1.8 | EFS 60 2.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L MkII | EF 70-300 IS USM | 270ex | 430exii x 2 | ST-E2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »

florianbieler.de

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »

With that said about my own feelings of photographic inadequacy I then come across this: http://www.yourclassicmoments.co.uk/

This is... fcuk I can't even find any words, this is practically ONLY point and shoot without any feel for the moment, how people should look on pictures or technical settings of the camera which honestly doesn't even look like its more than a 1000D with kit lens. And that horror for prices like these. No wonder there is no more reference, this is just shameful. Just sayin'.
EOS 5D Mark III · Canon 17-40 4.0L · Sigma 35 1.4 · Sigma 85 1.4 · Canon 70-200 4.0L IS · Tamron 150-600 5-6.3 VC
EOS M · Canon 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
Many industries have well known certifications that businesses and/or individuals can obtain that represent a well know standard of skill, knowledge, and capability.  For example, in the networking industry Cisco certifications represent a level of accomplishment and competence in certain areas of network administration, security, etc.  Employers value these certifications.

I am not aware of something similar in the professional photography industry.  If there is, it isn't widely marketed to the point the general public is aware.

For example, if WPPI was able to market a certification program so that those looking for a wedding photographer felt it necessary to find one with this certification to feel comfortable they were getting a true professional, then a lot of the unqualified photographers would be more easily identifed.

You don't need a certification, you show your photos, your portfolio.  I'm sure Ansel Adams had to whip out a few images back in the day.  Heck... Leonardo Da Vinci probably had to "show" his stuff before getting the sisteen... or however it is spelled.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
Many industries have well known certifications that businesses and/or individuals can obtain that represent a well know standard of skill, knowledge, and capability.  For example, in the networking industry Cisco certifications represent a level of accomplishment and competence in certain areas of network administration, security, etc.  Employers value these certifications.

I am not aware of something similar in the professional photography industry.  If there is, it isn't widely marketed to the point the general public is aware.

For example, if WPPI was able to market a certification program so that those looking for a wedding photographer felt it necessary to find one with this certification to feel comfortable they were getting a true professional, then a lot of the unqualified photographers would be more easily identifed.

In the tech field, the certification is pretty easy...there is generally ONE right way to do things.

I'm not sure how this would work for Photography or other "Artistic" things, where much of the value and appreciation of the final product is subjective.

While there are lots of wrong answers for photography, as we've seen on this thread and all around us, there is seldom one right answer for something, and it is quite difficult to test  and certify or license something that doesn't really have one right answer....

C

True... and proficiency with gear doesn't mean you have a good eye to know what MUST be shot.

I was watching a program about the national geographic photographers and how they just knew when they had to take a shot... and some of the photos are some of the most memorable in recent history.  Also... those certifications are just a way for some companies to make money.  They are rarely non-profit.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »

This is... fcuk I can't even find any words, this is practically ONLY point and shoot without any feel for the moment, how people should look on pictures or technical settings of the camera which honestly doesn't even look like its more than a 1000D with kit lens. And that horror for prices like these. No wonder there is no more reference, this is just shameful. Just sayin'.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

H. L. Mencken

I think the site is in Britain... but still... there are some tacky people out there who just don't know "what good is" and consequently keep these people in business. 

At least the images are different... god awful, but different.

Grumbaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »

You don't need a certification, you show your photos, your portfolio.  I'm sure Ansel Adams had to whip out a few images back in the day.  Heck... Leonardo Da Vinci probably had to "show" his stuff before getting the sisteen... or however it is spelled.

Sixtine Chapel was Michaelangelo no da Vinci. Just sayin'

You point is fully valid. If I buy a car I do a test drive. It's not the car I'm gonna get but I test the general quality level.
Consummers should always look at references before buying. If they agreed after seeing such a book then it's pure market theory in action. If the book is falsified (work from others) then that's pure fraud and this is actionnable. If they don't ask to look at a portfolio then they can blame themsleves.

Sounds harsh but nannying consumers has to stop somewhere.

PS: for those who speak about certification, there's something like that over here in China. As there can't be purely objective criterions for photography as an art, this is just pure nepotism and/or bribery.

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »

Yeah... Mike had a better portfolio... :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »

florianbieler.de

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »

At least the images are different... god awful, but different.

There's a whole lot more on the facebook page, I wonder where he or she got "learned" how to do colorkeys, they make no sense at all, i mean the people black and white and the surroundings in color? It's a shame for the whole professional level of photography.
EOS 5D Mark III · Canon 17-40 4.0L · Sigma 35 1.4 · Sigma 85 1.4 · Canon 70-200 4.0L IS · Tamron 150-600 5-6.3 VC
EOS M · Canon 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

Yeah... Mike had a better portfolio... :D

Funny thing.... Mike's "portfolio" was in sculpture, not painting. He was essentially a sculptor, not a painter. He mightily resisted doing the Sistine work -- was finally forced to do it for political expediency. And like all of us, he learned a lot!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

YuengLinger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
Any photographer fretting about the ocean of bad stuff on the web and locally has too much time on his/her hands.

Do the best restaurants in town pull their hair out because convenience stores sell stale pre-packaged sandwiches?

Photography in the USA is now the #1 home based business.  Welcome to the new normal.

captainkanji

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »

Wow.  Those are not photos I would expect from a professional photographer.  Maybe I've been looking at the outstanding work of people on this forum for too long and I'm being too unrealistic about the ability of photographers out there.  If I'm hiring a photographer, I expect to get work better than what an amateur like me could do.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-105mm f/4L,  EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

dryanparker

• Rebel SL1
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
All of the substandard work out there should make those who clearly win on expertise, vision and ability thrilled to know that winning new business should be fish in a barrel.

The problem is you're then tasked with convincing people with no recognition of expertise, vision or ability that it's worth the added cost.

The reality is, as others have alluded to, that there is a market for this stuff. Sad to say, but many people shop on price alone, and in the end, they might actually be happy with the results. They simply don't know the difference, and they probably don't care.

I'd recommend finding a better market!
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

UrbanImages

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
There are many fly by night photographers and even if they went to "school", it doesn't guarantee that they are any good. I'm self taught, started shooting film 20 yrs ago as a teenager and it took a lot of trial and error. i don't profess to be the best however I've learned that creativity, thinking outside the box and the knowledge of your equipment trump all. My ex girlfriend's cousin got TERRIBLE photo's of her wedding, they were using old Rebels with garbage lenses and shooting in preset mode. My business partner's BFF is precisely one these, to the point where we don't allow her to use our studio anymore because we don't want her bad photography associated with us. As far as pricing goes, i have a "friends and family" rate that I use with complicit understanding that they are not to disclose it. It's been successful and has brought us a lot of business at full rate. This economy has turned a lot of hobbyists into "professionals" and it has had negative effects.  :-\
5D III, 5D IIx2.... 24-70L, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 35-350L, 17-40L, 28-135, 50-1.4, 85-1.8, 40-2.8, 100-2.8 Macro, Sigma 15 Fisheye... 600 EX, 580 EX IIx3, 430 EX II and a bunch of other toys...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »
Photography in the USA is now the #1 home based business.  Welcome to the new normal.

Is this something you're saying to make a point or is it a fact?

If this is factual, I'd love to know the source for the data.

Thanks.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »

Is this something you're saying to make a point or is it a fact?

If this is factual, I'd love to know the source for the data.

Thanks.

don't believe him... it is still prostitution.  :/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »