April 20, 2014, 09:33:31 AM

Author Topic: PC Monitor for photo editing  (Read 19532 times)

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: What LCD monitor for ~accurate color picture processing?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
You might even consider buying a monitor calibration tool first, and see how much it improves your current display.

Thanks, actually that's what I'll do, question is which one - see here, I'd appreciate your input: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15988.msg343148#msg343148

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
I have the old Del u2711....has been a GREAT monitor so far.
I'm thinking I soon will need to buy a calibration tool too....just to keep it looking good!!

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
Dell Ultrasharp U2413 is in the $500 range and has a 99% color gamut.  Other Ultrasharp monitors aren't quite as good at 82%.  I have two U2410 -- older model -- and am quite happy with them.  They definitely need color calibration to fix the default blue-green cast, though.

I use a Spyder 4 Elite on mine, but from what I've read X-Rite and Datacolor both do a good job.

Yea, I got the U2413 and it's a very nice monitor, and it's 16:10! You'll definitely need to get a quality calibration tool in order to profile your monitor, regardless of how well whoever you buy it from says it's already calibrated. Every one is slightly different based on where it's located, the light that's falling on it, your video card, etc. If you buy one of the more expensive calibration tools, you can also do a printer calibration and create custom paper+printer profiles which will let you match even better for prints.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

daltech

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
Actually, I use a Fluid 26" HD TV and use the VGA port, that is a VERY cheap solution, not suggesting you get this, BUT, I purchased a Spyder4Pro this week, a monitor calibration tool, and boy ho boy, it does a very good job of creating an icc profile, the colours look great.

I'm please with the results.

JonAustin

• Rebel T5i
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »
Thanks, actually that's what I'll do, question is which one - see here, I'd appreciate your input: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15988.msg343148#msg343148

I replied to your question in the linked thread.
Photographic equipment

JonAustin

• Rebel T5i
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
Re: PC Monitor for photo editing
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »
... what I don't quite understand even after searching through the board and reading the good review at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_display.html ... What are the real world differences between the calibration solutions if I "just" want accurate sRGB colors? The choices seem to be:

• 3 Versions of the Spyder4: Express €85, Pro, €125, Elite €170
  • 3 Versions of X-Rite: ColorMunki Smile €80, ColorMunki Display €120, i1 Pro €175

Also any experiences with the different features would be appreciated, esp. if you find the ColorMunki "Display" is "worth it" over the basic "Smile" version, the differences are ambient light correction, setting white point, specifying a custom gamma and disabling ADC. Thanks!

Only you can determine what the best solution is for you; it depends on your budget, your monitor, your graphics subsystem (i.e., built-in graphics chip in a laptop or on a budget / highly integrated motherboard or your graphics / video card), your computer system, the variability of the ambient light in your work area and your personal needs & priorities.

I purchased my ColorMunki three years ago, and use it to profile six displays on four systems. (You ought to recheck your monitor(s) at least once a month). I also profile two printers with it. I've been very pleased with its performance, although can be a little difficult to move its dial between the (internal) calibration and profile positions.

I upgraded to the ColorMunki from a Pantone huey, which was my first profiling tool, when I wanted to build custom profiles for certain printer / paper combinations. The ColorMunki is on the more expensive end of the price range for these tools, but I've found in general that, when I'm satisfied with the performance of a tool, I rarely look back at the price I paid for it.
Photographic equipment

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
Until now I've laid of getting a better monitor for buying actual camera gear, but I've reached the point of annoyance with my cheap laptop screen (no icc profile, very limited color space) where I fear a purchase is inevitable. When processing slight color nuances of the autumn I'm not able to get satisfactory results, the wb (blue/orange) or tint (cyan/magenta) is always somewhat off w/o a proper color workflow.

I admit I didn't put much research into because the choices seem too confusing to me: What monitor type should I get for a working camera-screen icc workflow?

It would be great to hear some experiences or be pointed to some reviews - it must not be the pro lcd from your dreams which is outside my budget, I'd like to learn about the ~17"-19" "cheapest working solution". Thanks!

I assume you have a monitor calibration device? If not, I'd get one.

I'm not sure that there are any quality monitors in the 17-19 inch range, most buyers are buying large.
Here are monitors with IPS screens and 1920 X 1280 resolution in the $100-200 range.  They are sorted by user ratings.  Read the reviews.  Many have free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600012673%204017%20600107132&IsNodeId=1&name=IPS&Order=RATING&Pagesize=20

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

ishdakuteb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
It would be great to hear some experiences or be pointed to some reviews - it must not be the pro lcd from your dreams which is outside my budget, I'd like to learn about the ~17"-19" "cheapest working solution". Thanks!

for the cheapest small lcd offering decent color of image would be, IMO, NEC Multisync 90GX2 19".  i am not sure if you can buy it online since it has been discontinued for a while...  best luck in finding...

note:  this monitor was priced at around $500 when first being introduced.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:12:19 PM by ishdakuteb »

JPlendPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • Freelance Photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:03 AM »
Hello everyone. Sorry I have not been on here for a while, I am still looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2413 but I am now having second thoughts: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,18482.0.html
Canon EOS 5D MKII + 450D | EF 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | 50mm 1.8 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 04:11:56 AM »
Hello everyone. Sorry I have not been on here for a while, I am still looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2413 but I am now having second thoughts: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,18482.0.html

Again, the Asus has the same IPS panel, with very likely a better matte finish to its screen than the Dell, and it costs just over half with the Dell costs.  It's also pre-calibrated, for what that's worth.  I had to calibrate my own by eye...

The 10 bit monitors really aren't that much better than the 8-bit, and none of the 10 bit can display the darkest blacks, at least from the reviews I read.  Also their screen uniformity is terrible compared to the higher priced NEC monitors that let you customize and adjust it.

I'm waiting for OLED before I go to 10 bits or higher, because at least that technology could actually display it.  Backlit technology is on the way out.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »
Hello everyone. Sorry I have not been on here for a while, I am still looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2413

Again, the Asus has the same IPS panel, with very likely a better matte finish to its screen than the Dell, and it costs just over half with the Dell costs.

Um, what monitor are you talking about? The PA248Q from your former post is just sRGB and that's not the same panel as the Dell U2413 which seems to be the cheapest choice for a wide gamut 24" panel.

It really gets annoying when looking at 24" sRGB panels, manufacturers seem to be releasing new versions on a nearly daily basis - and I usually pride myself to be able to do some decent Internet research.

After looking at the usual review sites, for "just" a sRGB version I'd currently prefer the very well received BenQ BL2411 (http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-bl2411pt) over the more expensive Asus PB248Q, with the older Dell U2412m still going strong... it's really no fun to wade through all these specs.

Edit: Yup, the BL2411 seems to be the sRGB one to get: http://www.extrahardware.com/article/benq-bl2411pt-ips-bomb-thatll-finally-destroy-flickering-dell-u2412m/strana/0/11
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:35:11 AM by Marsu42 »

GmwDarkroom

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
Again, the Asus has the same IPS panel, with very likely a better matte finish to its screen than the Dell, and it costs just over half with the Dell costs.  It's also pre-calibrated, for what that's worth.  I had to calibrate my own by eye...
The Dell U2412 and the Asus PA248Q use the same panel.  The Dell U2413 and the Asus PA249Q use the same panel.  The latter two are more or less within 10% of each other in cost.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
Hello everyone. Sorry I have not been on here for a while, I am still looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2413

Again, the Asus has the same IPS panel, with very likely a better matte finish to its screen than the Dell, and it costs just over half with the Dell costs.

Um, what monitor are you talking about? The PA248Q from your former post is just sRGB and that's not the same panel as the Dell U2413 which seems to be the cheapest choice for a wide gamut 24" panel.

It really gets annoying when looking at 24" sRGB panels, manufacturers seem to be releasing new versions on a nearly daily basis - and I usually pride myself to be able to do some decent Internet research.

After looking at the usual review sites, for "just" a sRGB version I'd currently prefer the very well received BenQ BL2411 (http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-bl2411pt) over the more expensive Asus PB248Q, with the older Dell U2412m still going strong... it's really no fun to wade through all these specs.

Edit: Yup, the BL2411 seems to be the sRGB one to get: http://www.extrahardware.com/article/benq-bl2411pt-ips-bomb-thatll-finally-destroy-flickering-dell-u2412m/strana/0/11

Well, mine is just fine, and again, the only difference in an 8 bit and a 10 bit is the processing, not the panel.  None of these have a very high native contrast ratio, and if you saw mine I'm sure you would like it.  You're not really seeing 10 bits of dynamic range with your panel...not all at once.

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
The Dell U2412 and the Asus PA248Q use the same panel.  The Dell U2413 and the Asus PA249Q use the same panel.  The latter two are more or less within 10% of each other in cost.

The 10 bit panels don't display the lowest 3 levels of black in tests, and the screen uniformity is better in tests I've seen for the 248, than the 249.  And again, you can't adjust screen uniformity with any of them, only with the NEC and perhaps the $2k and up Samsung panels...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »