August 22, 2014, 04:28:55 AM

Author Topic: Canon Testing a 75+ Megapixel EOS-1 Body? [CR1]  (Read 31065 times)

flanderscamera

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Testing a 75+ Megapixel EOS-1 Body? [CR1]
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »
There are no fab facilities that could produce this sensor (assuming a FF, not a super-FF).

It takes at least 2 years, in the case of Japanese mfgs 3 years to get one into operation.

A 2014 production is just - well - a dream.

BTW: that was my job until I retired, i.e. I kinda know how what's involved.

BTW2: Canon had a FF lab proto of a 45-50 MP about 2 years ago. That would be more reasonable, but it still wouldn't go into production next year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
There are no fab facilities that could produce this sensor (assuming a FF, not a super-FF). It takes at least 2 years, in the case of Japanese mfgs 3 years to get one into operation.

That sounds like educated information - could you please elaborate further why it takes so long from scratch to product? And why do Japanese take longer, extended holidays :-p ?

flanderscamera

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
The engineering of production equipment, and product testing equipment most often is a larger task that the original product development. Leading edge semi products are the worst, especially considering "leading Edge" is a fleeting concept. Add site development, personnel training, and local "government influence" two years to create a high tech fab facility is the best you could expect. (Mind you, these facilities are now constructed in what were/are 3rd world countries).

Japanese companies are blame/credit centric. Before the start of any project, a chain of blame (in the case of project failure) and credit (in case all works out well) has to be established. This is very time consuming.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
Japanese companies are blame/credit centric. Before the start of any project, a chain of blame (in the case of project failure) and credit (in case all works out well) has to be established. This is very time consuming.

Thanks a lot, I'll store this information in my permanent memory, it's always great to have people with professional experience disclose these things!

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »
The engineering of production equipment, and product testing equipment most often is a larger task that the original product development. Leading edge semi products are the worst, especially considering "leading Edge" is a fleeting concept. Add site development, personnel training, and local "government influence" two years to create a high tech fab facility is the best you could expect. (Mind you, these facilities are now constructed in what were/are 3rd world countries).

You're assuming they'd be standing up a new fab to create this chip, or at least a new process, both would almost certainly be incorrect.

They almost certainly will be using their existing fab, and existing 500nm process.

Granted, this still isn't something you can stand up in an afternoon, but there's NO WAY it would take years.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »

You're assuming they'd be standing up a new fab to create this chip, or at least a new process, both would almost certainly be incorrect.

They almost certainly will be using their existing fab, and existing 500nm process.

Granted, this still isn't something you can stand up in an afternoon, but there's NO WAY it would take years.

flanderscamera has said his opinion is based on professional experience in manufacturing.
What are your counter-opinions based on?

Sure, they could retro-fit an old fab with a newer process, but this is rarely done (the value of keeping the old fab running and the cost building a new one is higher than stopping the fab and retrofitting costs).

flanderscamera: I would have thought that Canon would put a new fab inside Japan, but I'm not exactly familiar with their fabs. Sounds to me you are suggesting to put a fab in countries like Indonesia, Philippines, or Vietnam.

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

Ah, yes...Japanese business politics. I am curious how long that would actually take, though...the Japanese can also be exceptionally efficient when they want to be. ;)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »

flanderscamera has said his opinion is based on professional experience in manufacturing.

Sure, they could retro-fit an old fab with a newer process, but this is rarely done (the value of keeping the old fab running and the cost building a new one is higher than stopping the fab and retrofitting costs).

flanderscamera: I would have thought that Canon would put a new fab inside Japan, but I'm not exactly familiar with their fabs. Sounds to me you are suggesting to put a fab in countries like Indonesia, Philippines, or Vietnam.

They've been using the same process in the same fabs for a decade for their DSLR sensors. Even at 75MP, 500nm is plenty fine enough for any feature, unless they move amps & ADCs on die (which would be awesome btw), or did fancy stuff like on die binning, in either of those cases I'm not even remotely qualified to make a statement of whether 500nm would be sufficient.  So my position is based on historical precedence, and simple logic.  If flanderscamera has evidence to the contrary I'm sure everyone would love to hear it, myself included.

Migrating to a new process, or even just to a larger wafer size in the same process, is incredibly expensive.  And a whole new fab with modern tooling is in the neighborhood of $1-2bn.  I would love to hear they are making that investment, and would love to be proven wrong.  And if that is the case, then flanderscamera's timeline would be just about right.  I just haven't seen anything to support that, so I'm skeptical.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

They've been using the same process in the same fabs for a decade for their DSLR sensors. Even at 75MP, 500nm is plenty fine enough for any feature, unless they move amps & ADCs on die (which would be awesome btw), or did fancy stuff like on die binning, in either of those cases I'm not even remotely qualified to make a statement of whether 500nm would be sufficient.  So my position is based on historical precedence, and simple logic.  If flanderscamera has evidence to the contrary I'm sure everyone would love to hear it, myself included.

Migrating to a new process, or even just to a larger wafer size in the same process, is incredibly expensive.  And a whole new fab with modern tooling is in the neighborhood of $1-2bn.  I would love to hear they are making that investment, and would love to be proven wrong.  And if that is the case, then flanderscamera's timeline would be just about right.  I just haven't seen anything to support that, so I'm skeptical.

Canon does have on-die amplifiers. As far as I know, they have per-pixel amps as well as an additional downstream amp. They also have on-die CDS. The old APS-C 18mp sensor seems to already be indicating that full well capacity is getting low enough that its problematic to IQ (and that is at 4.3 microns...a 75mp FF would have 3.4 micron pixels, and an even lower FWC...meaning even more noise.) With a 500nm process on an FSI design, the actual photodiode area at 3.4 microns would be around 2.3 microns. When small form factor pixels in phones and P&S cameras started reaching pixels that size a few years ago, they were already using smaller processes between 250nm and 180nm, and they were already starting to look to BSI to improve IQ.

I am not sure the 500nm process still really has much, if any, life left in it. Canon is really riding up against the walls of physics at this point, and smaller pixels will get progressively noisier without either a shift to a smaller process, or a move to BSI (or something else as radical...supercooling to improve Q.E. of their photodiodes in combination with lightpipes, etc.)

I am not necessarily saying you are wrong...I too am waiting to hear Canon has done something about their fabs. You are, actually, probably quite right. I guess that is rather depressing, however...having used the 7D for about 19 months now, I can't imagine what 3.4 micron pixels on a 500nm FIS design would be like...but I can't imagine them being better, or even as good.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

Time to put in an order for more external hard drives.

Here's how my PC root looked couple days ago when I had the card reader connected too:

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
what do you mean JRISTA that smaller pixels will be noisier?

The snr on an individual pixel will get worse as it's scaled down, the snr of the sensor as a whole will (should) improve though.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
There's no perfect system for everything, which is why I use 3 of the majors (I'm a PentNikCan shooter).  It's taken some time to learn them all and get used to their individual pros and cons but it's been enlightening, worthwhile, and enjoyable for me.

Where I have to give Canon top kudos is their user manuals.
At least all the english ones I've read.

They're much better written, IMO, than the Nikon and Pentax manuals I've read within the last few years.  (I haven't had a recent Panasonic or Sony to compare.)
If a new user takes the time to completely read a Canon manual, cover-to-cover, they'd learn a LOT, even if they aren't using a Canon camera.

For this reason, I can still recommend Canon to a new user, they'd likely find it a less frustrating and more intuitive introduction to DSLR shooting.  Someone with more experience would do well, possibly better, with one of the alternatives, depending on what their intent was for such gear.

This kind of thing can result in more sales. and, once in, likely repeat customers.
Mfrs should really give more thought to how well their manuals are written - that's if the buying demographic still READS paper manuals...  All too often I see questions on various forums that are well documented in the basic user manuals.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
what do you mean JRISTA that smaller pixels will be noisier?

The snr on an individual pixel will get worse as it's scaled down, the snr of the sensor as a whole will (should) improve though.
noise is lower from a smaller pixel

Read noise may be lower (depends on a number of factors)...total noise is not, simply because the SNR is lower (i.e. ~20k e- for the 7D, vs. ~90k e- for the 1D X...both are 18mp, but the amount of noise in a similarly framed photo from the 1D X will be significantly lower than that of a 7D. In a focal length limited scenario, the 7D will offer higher resolution despite the increase in noise.)
My Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
right answer will always be, smaller pixels, lower noise
NOISE
simple as that

Is it that simple?  What about the signal?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
right answer will always be, smaller pixels, lower noise
NOISE
simple as that

That is read noise.

What about photon shot noise, which is relative to the signal? Are we just going to ignore that, now?
My Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »