April 18, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

Author Topic: Guess what?  (Read 5347 times)

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Guess what?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
As for saying you know nothing about sync speed, I never did say such a thing, I just demonstrated that you know nothing about the practical use of leaf shutters and high sync speeds, and there is a subtle difference in the two.

Huh, again? There is a major difference between using a leaf and HS. Go try shooting a race car with HS and see how your image looks compared to one burst of full power from a 2400w/s strobe using a leaf.

This is NOT a comparison between leaf shutters and HSS, it is a comparison between real world leaf shutter sync performance and focal plane shutter sync performance.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
OK, in the hope that you might realise something I am going to try one more time.

You said "Lol if you attempted that with a focal shutter. " I took that to mean you didn't think that shot could be taken with the equipment to hand with a focal plane shutter equipped camera.

Hobby's ambient exposure was 1/500, iso 200 @f8, my suggestion to replicate that with a slower sync speed was 1/250, iso 100 @f8, that gives exactly the same ambient exposure. No killing needed, the ambient is exposed exactly the same with both the leaf shutter and the focal plane shutter equipped bodies. Now as I said the flash exposure, the separation, is slightly different, his flash exposure is one flash 1/1 one flash 1/4 power, iso 200 and f8, mine is both flashes 1/1 iso 100 and f8, that means the flash exposure is around 1/3 stop different. Doesn't that prove your hyperbole to be incorrect? You can take that shot with a focal plane shutter, you implied you couldn't.

Are there shots you can take with a leaf shutter that you can't take with a focal plane shutter? YES, but the example you held up is not one of them.

As to your example image. To me it shows a certain youthful exuberance, the kind of image you will look back on in a few years and think 'How could I mess up my exposure so badly? Why would I show that to anybody? Thank god I got better.'

I am sure you will say it looks better in real life, that the clients loved it, that the burnt out edges are not burnt out on the file etc etc. But if that is the best example you can produce to demonstrate balancing light sources you have a long way to go, my friend.

As for saying you know nothing about sync speed, I never did say such a thing, I just demonstrated that you know nothing about the practical use of leaf shutters and high sync speeds, and there is a subtle difference in the two.

LOL! Right on broski... never admit your wrong even though I hold your opinion on photography more weightless than a single molecule of hydrogen about to be consumed in the center of the sun.

If your very knowing PBD, Please I'll wait and you inform me how I shot this. Details, shutter speed, through ND's or not, Outdoors or Indoors. Afterall, I know nothing about balancing ambient or flash but please do post some of your examples of your work. I'd like to see some.  ;D
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

LOL! Right on broski... never admit your wrong even though I hold your opinion on photography more weightless than a single molecule of hydrogen about to be consumed in the center of the sun.

If your very knowing PBD, Please I'll wait and you inform me how I shot this. Details, shutter speed, through ND's or not, Outdoors or Indoors. Afterall, I know nothing about balancing ambient or flash but please do post some of your examples of your work. I'd like to see some.  ;D

You might find my opinion worthless, however that clearly doesn't mean it is wrong because you can't accurately contradict any of it, hurling insults is a sure sign of an argument lost.

Why would I want to deconstruct such a badly exposed image other than to learn what not to do? I should have stuck to my earlier opinion, that you are only interested in a bitch fight, not actually learning anything.

Enjoy your blissful state.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »

You might find my opinion worthless, however that clearly doesn't mean it is wrong because you can't accurately contradict any of it, hurling insults is a sure sign of an argument lost.

Why would I want to deconstruct such a badly exposed image other than to learn what not to do? I should have stuck to my earlier opinion, that you are only interested in a bitch fight, not actually learning anything.

Enjoy your blissful state.

You mad bro? :D :D :D I'm not the one who's been typing long drawn out posts...  ::) ::) ::)  ;D ;D ;D

Nice lawnchair photo BTW, it really reflects your skill level...  :-X
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:46:51 PM by RLPhoto »
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

docholliday

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »
Leaf shutters have their own issues. People that think they give true sync at high speeds don't understand how they work. They are not a panacea they are an effective second aperture.

Huh? Ignoring the stupid strobist videos that are diluted at best...I think you need to learn and actually use a leaf shutter. A 1/1000s leaf is completely open and exposes the entire frame 'sync'ronously for the flash exposure to fire. The 'second aperture' comment only applies on cameras where a shutter is augmented by the sensor for capture. Look at the original 1Ds - 1/500 because the CCD could start and stop listening to data faster than the focal plane shutter.

Before you give ME a "I own and use 3 leaf shutter lenses"...maybe you should try shooting medium and large format - all my Hasselblads and Schneider lenses (many more than 3) say that you're not truly comprehending why a leaf is important when balancing ambient and flash. Go push some real power on the flash side (not some strobist < 50w/s) and see why you need a leaf.

Maybe you should get some facts straight too. The 1Ds has a CMOS sensor, the 1D has a CCD, I know, I have one.

Second, that is not how leaf shutters work, they open sequentially (basically but not entirely) from the center out, and then close in the reverse order, from outside to center, the second aperture is totally relevant, the Fuji halves this effect because it has an electronic first curtain, it doesn't start exposing the sensor until the shutter is completely open, if the senor does not have an electronic first and/or second curtain then it is reacting to light as the shutter opens and/or closes.

My three lenses are medium format!

As for flash power, tell me your t1 times. You might realise there is no difference between the light on the subject at full power and quarter power over 1/750 sec sync speed or so. PCB Einsteins are very fast but look at the graph, and comparison, here, under the Comparison Data tab. http://www.paulcbuff.com/e640.php

YET AGAIN, there are good reasons for leaf shutters, but the way they are talked about in threads like these makes them sound like panaceas for flash use, as I keep saying, they are not, they have their limitations, and it is surprising how close to focal plane shutter sync speeds those limitations start kicking in.

1. That's not a 1Ds I'm talking about - it's in reference to PLURAL 1D cameras

2. Ever rebuilt a leaf shutter? From the sounds of it, not. When you've rebuilt a few dozen leaf shutters, then we'll talk. Try rebuilding a few Prontor Hasselblad lens shutters from a CF or newer. And then, give a few LF Copal #3's a working.

3. Yup, a leaf shutter opens from the center and closes to the center - EXPOSING THE FRAME EQUALLY at high speed. Whereas, a FP would form a slit because the second curtain is already moving before the first curtain is completely open. Congratulations, you pass a basic physics lesson.

4. Get some real lights - we'll talk when you start to use Broncolor and have some really high speed flash with ultra short durations that can keep up with high FPS. The pulsing of HS sync reduces your distance, hence coverage and for motion, it isn't consistent. Therefore, firing ONE burst of light at a subject will freeze ONE frame of the motion. On top of it all, you would actually be able to get some light > 50ft.

You can keep arguing your (lack of) point. Those of us out here who actually get out and use our equipment will just keep on going using our (to you obviously useless) leaf shutters in daylight with great results, just like the example above.

BTW, let's see you HS sync a H5D Hasselblad if it had a FP shutter. Good luck. Your sync speed would be something like 1/30s. The larger the sensor/film, the longer it takes to get the shutter curtains moving. So, yes, there is a reason for LS in modern application.

Anyways, have fun with your theories and spewing of internet-obtained info. The rest of us will now go shoot some actual pics with our gear...

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
1. That's not a 1Ds I'm talking about - it's in reference to PLURAL 1D cameras

2. Ever rebuilt a leaf shutter? From the sounds of it, not. When you've rebuilt a few dozen leaf shutters, then we'll talk. Try rebuilding a few Prontor Hasselblad lens shutters from a CF or newer. And then, give a few LF Copal #3's a working.

3. Yup, a leaf shutter opens from the center and closes to the center - EXPOSING THE FRAME EQUALLY at high speed. Whereas, a FP would form a slit because the second curtain is already moving before the first curtain is completely open. Congratulations, you pass a basic physics lesson.

4. Get some real lights - we'll talk when you start to use Broncolor and have some really high speed flash with ultra short durations that can keep up with high FPS. The pulsing of HS sync reduces your distance, hence coverage and for motion, it isn't consistent. Therefore, firing ONE burst of light at a subject will freeze ONE frame of the motion. On top of it all, you would actually be able to get some light > 50ft.

You can keep arguing your (lack of) point. Those of us out here who actually get out and use our equipment will just keep on going using our (to you obviously useless) leaf shutters in daylight with great results, just like the example above.

BTW, let's see you HS sync a H5D Hasselblad if it had a FP shutter. Good luck. Your sync speed would be something like 1/30s. The larger the sensor/film, the longer it takes to get the shutter curtains moving. So, yes, there is a reason for LS in modern application.

Anyways, have fun with your theories and spewing of internet-obtained info. The rest of us will now go shoot some actual pics with our gear...

1: If you meant 1D's then it might have helped if you had written that, you didn't however, you wrote 1Ds, that is another camera altogether. I am supposed to guess when you make errors?

2: No, I never built a rocket or a helicopter either, but I can tell you exactly how they work.

3: Not according to this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_%28photography%29 read the bit under diaphragm shutter " Effectively the shutter acts as an additional aperture, and may, for example, cause vignetting or increase depth of field, undesirable if shallow focus is being used creatively."

4: Only at low power settings, which has been my point, you know, one of the several you just don't get. Turn your top of the range Broncolor A4S 3200 heads down to 3Ws and you get 1/8,000 pulse, still slower than a Profoto at 1/12,000 @ 4.7 WS, and they are both slower, though more powerful, than an Einstein at 1/13,000 sec at 2.7WS. OH, AND YET AGAIN, THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT HSS, IT IS ABOUT syncing at high speeds, NOT CANON"S PROPRIETARY HIGH SPEED SYNC MODE.

Here is a picture taken by a leaf shutter camera, a five bladed shutter with the lens wide open at high speed. I think this suitably demonstrates another one of my points.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »